*RockTot*

Home birth or Water birth?

herty22
Are you asking those who are homebirthers or considering homebirth to consider if these are the only two options to see if there is a sway in the mindset if water isn't available in the homebirth set up OR asking for a general comment? I only question this as there seem to be a lot of people commenting who are not homebirth forum regulars, experienced or even considering homebirth so it may effect the outcome of what your original question may have been really asking..

Yes it seems there's alot of people who aren't even considering Homebirth here,it's like going in and asking in a cesarean thread,are you planning a cesarean or having a VBAC- I am a VBAC Homebirth planning mum hence the comparison.

Seems to be alot of fear in HB coming through here like 'in hospital just in case' & 'i've heard/or seen a baby who died during homebirth'..wow i've heard of thousands of babies who've died in hospital & my daughter was one of those who because of Drs negligence almost caused my baby to die,they took 5 minutes to bring her back.

Homebirth with a pool set up in my bedroom,if i use it or not i will soon find out :)

Blondiebear
Seems to be alot of fear in HB coming through here like 'in hospital just in case' & 'i've heard/or seen a baby who died during homebirth'..wow i've heard of thousands of babies who've died in hospital & my daughter was one of those who because of Drs negligence almost caused my baby to die,they took 5 minutes to bring her back.

Your experience and reason for fearing hospital birth are totally valid. I think my experience of having a baby born limp and lifeless and seeing his life saved by a paediatrician is an equally valid reason for me to fear homebirth. Nothing to do with a doctor's negligence or a high risk pregnancy, a completely out of the blue, unlucky occurrence. You are all welcome to have your homebirths, I am pro-choice on this matter, provided the choice is fully informed, but I believe I have an extremely good reason for not thinking they are a good idea.

HRH Countrymel

I haven't given birth but I know when I was briefly pregnant previously I was very excited to pick up the pamphlet at my local hospital and learn they were now equipped and trained for waterbirthing.

There would be no 'calm homely environment if I was trying to have a homebirth. I'm old and fat and have no idea what I'm doing - my DP would be terrified, I have no extended family support.

I don't even know if there are IM in this area - I have two friends who are ex midwives but I sincerely doubt they would support me in a HB.

For DP's peace of mind and for my peace of mind I would go the hospital waterbirth - I know I was really looking forward to it before.

CallMeFeral
Mother & babies still die in hospitals

I'm sure as a student paramedic you also saw car accidents , bicycle accident..does this also mean we should not drive or ride our bikes...I mean there is always walking and public transport as an alternative :huh:

Your post smells of scaremongering.

How offensive and uncalled for. The PP is not trying to inflict her opinion on other people but OF COURSE having seen something traumatic like that, it would put her off homebirth. That's only human. It's ridiculous to suggest that she does not have the right to feel that way, and incredibly insensitive.

And yes, lots of people I know who've worked in ER are put off riding motorbikes, due to what they see. What you have actually witnessed carries more emotional cache than what you haven't, it's not rocket science. :doh:

suline
What you have actually witnessed carries more emotional cache than what you haven't, it's not rocket science.

Totally! which is why in answer to the OP - I would chose home birth. However I would really really want access to water!!

PurpleNess

I chose a water birth at a Birth Centre annexed to a major maternity hospital. I was all about having my bases covered and wanted the expert care should anything go wrong.

I support home births but have been witness recently to a very very tragic circumstance that may have been prevented if mum was at a Hospital.

My water birth was amazingly perfect. Be warned though it does get hot in there!

meemee75
How offensive and uncalled for. The PP is not trying to inflict her opinion on other people but OF COURSE having seen something traumatic like that, it would put her off homebirth. That's only human. It's ridiculous to suggest that she does not have the right to feel that way, and incredibly insensitive.

And yes, lots of people I know who've worked in ER are put off riding motorbikes, due to what they see. What you have actually witnessed carries more emotional cache than what you haven't, it's not rocket science. ddoh.gif

Not sure how my post was offensive but the PP is scaremongering.

Maybe I've been on EB too long and am sick of the same crap that is sprouted about homebirth over & over again :shrug: .

I have seen babies die in hospitals ( and a couple of women almost die) yet I would never go into the birth section and claim that I was scarred by the experience and that hospital birth is unsafe due to what I have seen, am I? :rolleyes:

I'm aware enough (as the PP should be in her line of work ) that seeing one bad outcome of a homebirth doesn't make it unsafe , just like I don't think hospitals births are unsafe.

Both environments could produce a less than ideal outcome for a woman & a baby.

Bel Rowley- my friend had a limp/pale /lifeless baby in a hospital and he did not survive but I'm glad your DS did .

It's not as simple as being in a hospital=best care /outcome.

Edited by meemee75

CallMeFeral
I have seen babies die in hospitals ( and a couple of women almost die) yet I would never go into the birth section and claim that I was scarred by the experience and that hospital birth is unsafe due to what I have seen, am I? :rolleyes:

I'm aware enough (as the PP should be in her line of work ) that seeing one bad outcome of a homebirth doesn't make it unsafe , just like I don't think hospitals births are unsafe.

But that's the thing. She didn't argue it was unsafe. She didn't go into statistics. She didn't try to convince anyone else what they should do.

She said that SHE was scarred from having seen what she saw. And given that that's possibly/probably the first home birthing experience she saw (guessing), it's not that surprising that it has given her an emotional reaction to it.

If your first experience of witnessing a hospital birth had ended in death, you'd probably be pretty traumatised by the idea of giving birth in a hospital, and that would be quite natural. And if you then said that in a thread, it would be a damn shame if people accused you of scaremongering and discounted the trauma you felt, just because it didn't fit with their view of what everyone should think.

A person shouldn't have to justify why a traumatic incident would scar them - OR be accused of scaremongering by discussing their own experience.

THATS why it's offensive. This is a PERSON, not a cause, her personal experience is VALID and it seems like that gets forgotten around here a LOT.

Save your ire for people trying to inflict their view on others...

Cyaira

I would choose a hospital water birth for my first and a home birth for my second, provided all went well the first time and I was low risk.