*RockTot*

Home birth or Water birth?

*RockTot*

If you could only choose one - home birth or water birth at a hospital, what would you choose & why?

*bright*

I have chosen a water birth at hospital, because if anything goes wrong bub and I are right there and able to be seen to straight away with all the medical equipment that could be required.

Katie_bella
I have chosen a water birth at hospital, because if anything goes wrong bub and I are right there and able to be seen to straight away with all the medical equipment that could be required.

This

tick

Home birth. Water didn't do it for me anyway when I was in labour, but you can always choose water birth at home if it takes your fancy :)

Six.and.Out

Homebirth all the way! We have a bath so it would be a waterbirth anyways :p But to feel protected and safe in your own home as you welcome your baby earthside is something that simply can't be replicated in hospital <3

If you're educated, aware and have a great midwife at hand there is no need to worry about what will go wrong. Concentrate on what will be rights. The chances of something going wrong during a low risk labour are very small and seriously, birth is NOT a medical emergency! There's no need to be rushing about and panicking about things going wrong... Sit back, relax and enjoy the birthing experience, it can really be something beautiful :)

ekbaby

Homebirth with an independent midwife, because the model of care is completely different. It's not about the facilities, it's about having continuity of care with a care provider who gets to know you as a person, and being able to make decisions about my own care without having policy dictating what I am and am not allowed to do.

Why can't you have both though? Most independent midwives have blow up birth pools you can borrow.

CherrySunday

Haven't had either, but I would choose the oppourtunity to birth at home, as the thought of a warm bath when I'm in labour makes me feel ill.

I considered it both times, but I was already very hot & sweaty, I didn't want to make it worse with a hot bath & a humid bathroom!

*RockTot*
Why can't you have both though? Most independent midwives have blow up birth pools you can borrow.

It's just a hypothetical question, if you could only choose ONE of these options, what would it be :)

CallMeFeral

Water at hospital.

I don't have any reasons to want to birth at home - at hospital someone else has to clean up all the mess and blood! I don't find hospital a threatening environment. And they are better set up for using shower and going to the loo and just everything in a birthing situation than I am at home.

But water is wonderful, and I wish I could birth in it. Plus the baths are bigger in hospital.

~buzz~

Water birth at hospital would feel safer in case something went wrong

Born Three

Same.

I had one birth at the RPA Birth Centre in the bath with just a midwife assisting. It was fantastic and the room very comfortable and 'homey'. Across the hall from the Birth Centre was the labour ward, theatre and the neo natal unit so if anything was to go wrong we were so close.

I wish more hospitals had midwife run birth centres and for those that do it would be great if they had higher capacity as RPA only has 3 birthing rooms so it is quite exclusive.

Sif

Homebirth. The one time I actually made it into water during labour, I found I wanted out of the water as soon as I started to feel pushy. That said, my reaction doesn't seem to be particularly common, lots of women I know have really preferred their water births. For me, I just needed to be on land, I felt more 'grounded' there - pun fully intended.

ETA:

I don't have any reasons to want to birth at home - at hospital someone else has to clean up all the mess and blood!

My midwife and doulas took care of this. Dh didn't even have to do it (just as well, he wouldn't have coped)...

Edited by Sif

Blondiebear

If I had to choose one or the other, it would be a water birth in a hospital.

Homebirth all the way! We have a bath so it would be a waterbirth anyways :p But to feel protected and safe in your own home as you welcome your baby earthside is something that simply can't be replicated in hospital <3

If you're educated, aware and have a great midwife at hand there is no need to worry about what will go wrong. Concentrate on what will be rights. The chances of something going wrong during a low risk labour are very small and seriously, birth is NOT a medical emergency! There's no need to be rushing about and panicking about things going wrong... Sit back, relax and enjoy the birthing experience, it can really be something beautiful :)

I had a low risk pregnancy, no complications or indications that anything was abnormal even throughout labour and drug-free, natural delivery. Then I had a placental abruption. The risks of this happening may be small, but it happened to be. There was plenty of need to rush about and panic when my son was born completely white, limp and not breathing. Every day I am grateful I was in a tertiary hospital with a paediatrician there to save his life.

Nasty Bunsen
Same.

I had one birth at the RPA Birth Centre in the bath with just a midwife assisting. It was fantastic and the room very comfortable and 'homey'. Across the hall from the Birth Centre was the labour ward, theatre and the neo natal unit so if anything was to go wrong we were so close.

I wish more hospitals had midwife run birth centres and for those that do it would be great if they had higher capacity as RPA only has 3 birthing rooms so it is quite exclusive.

I had the same experience at RPA, except in the labour ward not birth centre - very relaxing, lights dimmed, music playing, just me and DH for most of my labour - the midwife regularly checked but did not intrude.

The main reason I wouldn't want a home birth is because I wouldn't be able to have a water birth at home (difficult access to the bath and no room for a pool).

deejie

Home birth in an instant. You can have a water birth at home too-- many IM fees include hire of an inflatable birthing pool.

The quality of care you receive with an independent midwife is unbelievably good. I appreciate making informed decisions about my own care without fighting hospital policy. And as PP said, you don't have to worry about cleaning up. My midwife cleaned up everything and left DH, DS2 and I snug in our own bed.

My midwife carried 6 bags of equipment, including saline, paediatric and adult resus equipment and syntocinon and ergometrine in case of significant post partum bleeding. The chances of a major obstetric disaster in a low risk pregnancy is small. Over the course of your pregnancy, you will have many long and relaxed antenatal visits with your midwife where you can discuss everything in detail. She will come to know and understand you in a way no hospital midwife ever can.

Isis

Home water birth ;)

Oma Desala
Homebirth with an independent midwife, because the model of care is completely different. It's not about the facilities, it's about having continuity of care with a care provider who gets to know you as a person, and being able to make decisions about my own care without having policy dictating what I am and am not allowed to do.

This sums it up for me. HB all the way.

Just-one-more

This is tough. I feel I NEED water for birth so if I couldn't use a birth pool or bath at home I might consider a hospital birth. First preference is always home in water though.

HighlandPinky
Home birth. Water didn't do it for me anyway when I was in labour, but you can always choose water birth at home if it takes your fancy :)

This for me too. I have had 4 hospital, non water births, 1 home water birth, and 1 home, non water birth.

The one waterbirth i had was ok....but no less painful or anything than my other 5 births were (well, less than my hospital ones, but that's a home/hospital thing, not a water thing).

So, yeah. My home births were both INFINITELY better, less painful, faster, easier and generally more pleasurable than my hospital births were.....but my water birth was pretty much on a par with all the others, so i'd go homebirth :D

R2B2

it's hard to say when I haven't experienced either of them!

a home water birth would be nice though :p

kristylee21

Hospital birth here. I was in a fantastic midwife program where i saw the same midwife throughout my pregnancy. She was great, understood me more than anyone could of and new exactly how I wanted things. My birth was amazing and I felt so much safer knowing that IF anything had of gone wrong I was in the best place.

meemee75
If you could only choose one - home birth or water birth at a hospital, what would you choose & why?

I've had only two home waterbirths :8

Hypothetically if I had to pick only one, I would probably choose a homebirth on land over a waterbirth .

Why? Because I know the lack of water wouldn't affect my labour, birth, baby . I work in a hospital and I just don't feel the need or want to birth in one if I don't need to.

Even after seeing all I have I wouldn't feel any safer birthing in a hospital than I did at home.

I'd certainly birth in one if I had complications or needed to, but I didn't :D

Fossy

Water at hospital, why? Because I sadly saw a homebirthing mother and baby die when I was a student paramedic and it will forever scar me!

I had a low risk pregnancy, complication free, fully dilated when I got to hospital, but my son would be dead if I hadn't been in hospital. He was being strangled by his cord and had shoulder dystocia. It took 4 people to get him out safely, and if they couldn't we had about a 5 minute window for a c/s. There was no hint anything was wrong until I was pushing.

I have attended several home births, the midwives are usually good, mothers well informed, but it's not for me.

meemee75
Because I sadly saw a homebirthing mother and baby die when I was a student paramedic and it will forever scar me!

Mother & babies still die in hospitals

Fossy you have about 8 mins before fetal brain hypoxia starts. Good outcome are usually much higher with a less than 5 min delay

Even in the best hospital with a GA a baby with severe shoulder dystocia that then had a crash C/S under GA in a hospital would still not be delivered in a time that would prevent brain damage and /or death if the head is already out.

I have attended several home births hundreds of hospital births, the midwives are usually good, mothers well informed, but it's not for me.

My bold.

I'm sure as a student paramedic you also saw car accidents , bicycle accident..does this also mean we should not drive or ride our bikes...I mean there is always walking and public transport as an alternative :huh:

Your post smells of scaremongering.

Six.and.Out

OP I note you posted this in the Homebirth section.

Are you asking those who are homebirthers or considering homebirth to consider if these are the only two options to see if there is a sway in the mindset if water isn't available in the homebirth set up OR asking for a general comment? I only question this as there seem to be a lot of people commenting who are not homebirth forum regulars, experienced or even considering homebirth so it may effect the outcome of what your original question may have been really asking..

Hmm hope that makes sense LOL