Sign in to follow this  
Chicken Pie

Preschool & Kindy - Adelaide CBD or west

Chicken Pie

my dd is in full time childcare at the moment, i have her on a list for kindy at 2 kindy's linked to the schools I have applied to for reception enrolment.

but could anyone recommend Kindy's independent of schools so to speak that I could contact as well for info and if they also operate as a LDC?

Would love to get input on this :)

Edited by bokchok

Expelliarmus

It's going to depend where you are, surely?

but could anyone recommend Kindy's independent of schools so to speak that I could contact as well for info and if they also operate as a LDC?

It's usually the other way around - LDC centres operate a Preschool/Kindy program.

Heather11

Area??

Chicken Pie

thanks howdo

sorry i should have mentioned CBD or western suburbs is preferred

i have only been in Aus for 2.5 years so the whole structure of kindy etc within schools etc is a bit confusing, as are the hours of it. one she is on the list for offers LDC yes, the other they don't as its about the 15hours thing - which is tough as a single working mom

i was trying to get an idea of the differences etc between attending independent Kindy's versus Kindy's based at the schools versus LDC offering Kindy programs around which would preferably be better from an educational perspective in getting them ready for school

clearly im still confused about how it all works when people talk about preschool and kindy separate to daycare and how it all works. our childcare does have a kindy program but i was wondering if there are just plain kindy schools (or not), whats best etc

maybeonemore

Yep need to know area, the 2 kindys my DD is booked into one has a LDC across the road and they walk them over the other one operates as a LDC as well. So they are around depends on where you live.

Chicken Pie
Area??

sorry - CBD or western suburbs preferably?

JinksNewton

Really need to know the area you are in, OP. it's worth casting your nets a little wider if you need to. I was going to send owen to the kindy connected to his childcare centre, as my original choice kindy was booked out with about 60 kids (!) I was talking to a friend who works at a nearby school and she mentioned a nearby kindy that is smaller (25 kids) has a lovely outdoor area and is the perfect fit for DS. I've been living in the area for 20 years and I never even knew it was there!

It's usually the other way around - LDC centres operate a Preschool/Kindy program.

I think this depends too. The childcare centre that Owen goes to one day a week is about 2 minutes walk from a kindergarten. The parents drop their kids off at childcare in the morning, then a couple of workers walk the kindy group over to the kindy, then come back and pick them up when kindy finishes and keep them at childcare till the parents finish work.

ETA sorry, missed your update. Not my area unfortunately :( Good luck though!

Edited by redkris

maybeonemore
thanks howdo

sorry i should have mentioned CBD or western suburbs is preferred

i have only been in Aus for 2.5 years so the whole structure of kindy etc within schools etc is a bit confusing, as are the hours of it. one she is on the list for offers LDC yes, the other they don't as its about the 15hours thing - which is tough as a single working mom

i was trying to get an idea of the differences etc between attending independent Kindy's versus Kindy's based at the schools versus LDC offering Kindy programs around which would preferably be better from an educational perspective in getting them ready for school

clearly im still confused about how it all works when people talk about preschool and kindy separate to daycare and how it all works. our childcare does have a kindy program but i was wondering if there are just plain kindy schools (or not), whats best etc

Im *pretty sure* that the Kindys in childcare have to operate the same way as normal kindys BUT you are paying $70 a day instead of $70 a term for a normal kindy. It really depends on your commitments if its easier to just pay for childcare 5 days a week then do that kids dont "have" to go to kindy as long as she is getting some out of home schooling then i wouldnt worry so much.

Chicken Pie

yeah if there are great ones mentioned in other areas will definitely consider based on radius from us :)

Expelliarmus

LDC have Kindy/Preschool programs and are administered by Early Childhood teachers - they should be the exact same thing as offered in a Preschool or Kindergarten. ETA: as redkris mentioned above, sometimes that Kindy program may be outsourced to an attached or local Kindergarten/Preschool.

Sometimes a Kindergarten/Preschool is attached to a school and sometimes it is not. For example, my children went to ABC Kindergarten and then onto ABC school but the Kindergarten is not actually part of the school and has a separate campus. Children at that Kindergarten also attend other local schools.

Some schools have a CPC (child parent centre) which means that the preschool is co-located at the school and is part of the school.

All should provide the same curriculum and all you need to do is choose the one that is best for your family.

LDC is obliged to provide the Preschool/Kindergarten curriculum and this may be the best option for you over the 15 hour sole Preschool/Kindergarten.

Edited by howdo

JinksNewton

Re asking about different types of kindys, the one we are sending DS to is state run, but not connected to a primary school...it is near to one though. Cost (and this is one thing I love about SA) is $70 per term. Having said that, they fairly regularly have fundraising activities and have a roster of volunteer parents who do things like wash the art smocks and dress-up clothes, and families take turns coming in to maintain the outside area. It helps keep the costs down.

Expelliarmus

Yep, sounds like the Preschool my kids went to as well. I think they frequently run like this. ^

Feralmummacat

I will be watching this thread as well OP.

My DS1 was going to childcare and they were meant to have a "Kindy" room that had a "Kindy" program. A number of the parents including myself were concerned that there was not much learning or even learning via play happening. I ended up sending him to a government funded separate Kindy, which he loved. The only issue is most of these I have found only operate 9am to 3pm. I was lucky I was on Maternity leave with DS2 so I could do the pick up and drop off's. I will not be able to do that next time around with DS2.

Here is 2 links to some government funded Kindy's

http://www.sa.gov.au/tags/kindergartens

http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/locs/pages/default/default/

Edited by mummacat

Heather11

Stand alone only operate during kindy hours. If they do full day kindy sessions this is approx 8.30 till 3.00pm.

As PP have mentioned however some LDC will drop off and pickup from stand alone kindys. The kindy one of my children attended had several nearby LDCs that would do this.

While stand alone kindys are significantly cheaper you can not claim the CCR/CCB for them.

All LDCs have to have an Early Years Teacher so they will still be learning at the LDC.

Personally if I was working and my child was already in DC I would probably just go the LDC route.

Chicken Pie

thanks ladies! yeah i just got told she is number 51 on the waiting list of kindy at the school she is listed for for 2014...yikes...

I will be watching this thread as well OP.

My DS1 was going to childcare and they were meant to have a "Kindy" room that had a "Kindy" program. A number of the parents including myself were concerned that there was not much learning or even learning via play happening. I ended up sending him to a government funded separate Kindy, which he loved. The only issue is most of these I have found only operate 9am to 3pm. I was lucky I was on Maternity leave with DS2 so I could do the pick up and drop off's. I will not be able to do that next time around with DS2.

Here is 2 links to some government funded Kindy's

http://www.sa.gov.au/tags/kindergartens

http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/locs/pages/default/default/

thank you so much for the links i appreciate it. while hours could be a challenge i work 4 days a week at the moment and will raise when appropriate a change in hours to 5 days a week 9-3 or similar which some other colleagues do if i can. at the end of the day, where she is will have to do with extras i encourage at home

i must say i was shocked at the price difference - even without a rebate its still way cheaper and i would be more than happy to assist where i can within reason etc....

i know i might sound dumb etc but this whole school thing is daunting and i slowly getting a better understanding of it all...some ppl do say while not drastic they do notice a difference in kids (i.e. one lady had a son in kinder and her second did kindy within LDC and there is a difference) - so i would rather try get her into kinder 15 hours a week where i can even if it means driving up and down one day a week(as i can do the mondays easily)

Expelliarmus

She wouldn't be in Kindy 9-3 for 5 days a week though. If you changed your hours to that you'd still need childcare days.

Chicken Pie
She wouldn't be in Kindy 9-3 for 5 days a week though. If you changed your hours to that you'd still need childcare days.

yeah i know but it means i still work the same hours as i am now without asking to change too much iykwim?

then its easy to transition (for me that is) to school hours for drop off and pick up - so yeah she would do daycare on the other days as normal so to speak, but it would be to make the change to manage kindy times 2x a week and then a year later school simpler for my employer and i as opposed to odd times on odd days and changing a year later - while some can, im in management consulting so bit tougher