fran123

Do you shower/bath your children every night?

fran123

Bath/shower time seems to be a bit of a struggle at our house. I know implementing star charts and other disciplinary or reward measures might improve that but I am thinking we should perhaps just bath our children every other night to give us all a break. How often do you bathe your children?

30bt

not every night! usually every 2nd night, they just wash their face the other night. If they are smelly then i won't let them go to bed without a bath or shower

StinkyFeet

Daily here. Of course there's the odd day here or there that it doesn't happen.

Few reasons why I think its important : I don't trust that my kids wipe their bums properly. And my son is particularly sweaty kid. Also, I wouldn't imagine not showering myself everyday, so why not them?

TheGreenSheep

We have one night a week as a BFN aka bath free night. It just takes the pressure off for everyone to get everything all done before bed. Often coincides if we have dinner out or takeaway, friends over.

Froger

You don't have to bath kids every day. I have actually read some research that suggests it is better not to. This is because it removes the oil from the skin which means Vitamin D synthesis is not as efficient as it could be. My older kids certainly don't bath every day. What a waste of water, time and money. I do however bath my littlest kids, as they tend to get a bit grotty and they are in nappies so I like to wash their nappy area. However I don't use any soap, and they are just fine.

Funwith4

Every day without fail. I think it's yucky not to wash every day, especially their bottoms.

Let-it-go

I do and always have but my kids are still only little. We bathed everyday as kids so maybe it is just in my brain to do it daily. Reasons are:

As babies mine have been pooers, BIG pooers so by the end of the day I am kind of grossed out by how much poo has sat in their nappies and prefer the good wash option!

DD sweats and is a hot kid.

I find it calms baby at that awful time of night and buys me some happy time.

I would prefer to play with them in the bath at 5pm when they are ratty than draw or playdough or read. Easy kill of 20minutes.

Lucrezia Bauble

Every night...part of our bedtime routine...it helps him relax and wind down....

Princess.cranky.pants

Yes. The only time they don't get a bath is if we have had a late night, come home late.

I find they all need a bath every day. I think I must have dirty kids! lol

I like my school age child to have a bath after being at school all day and playing with other kids/sandpit.

My toddler is a toddler and always grubby at the end of the day! She is also in nappies and I like her to have a wash every day.

bearmum

No - my kids have very dry skin that tends to eczema when they are bathed too often regardless of soap choice. Plus it was causing so much tension and exhaustion on busy nights. Who needs that. Nappy areas, face and feet are cleaned more regularly. An extra bath if they ever "need" it and a few scheduled bathing nights per week make our house happier. Summer might change things up: it's nice to cool a sweaty body in a bath :) but winter in Melbourne makes a lot of the bath process a misery :(

Heffalump

Shower every night; bath once a fortnight. Hair gets washed as part of shower only once or twice a week though. DD needs it as she is very active and manages to come home every afternoon looking like she's crawled out from under a bridge.

Lulu Pumpkin

No bath night is Friday night for us, its also pizza and wine night (well for me) and DS gets a bath the next day in the morning as opposed to after preschool.

Gumbette

DS (3 months) no, only when he's made me a large messy present (so probably every 2nd or 3rd day). DD yes, unless she's been home and inside all day, or if she's fallen asleep before I've had the chance.

SpunkyMonkey88

I bath my kids every second night. On the nights I don't bath them, I fill the bathroom sink with warm water and a squirt of soap and give them a good wipe over. I also give their bums and extra wipe with a baby wipe.

ubermum

Not every night, but at least every second. Probably 4-5 times a week. We are a very busy family and sometimes they are too tired and it's better to just get them into bed. On non bath nights, we run a washer over face, hands and bums (in that order :) )

Impatientmummy

If DS has been at daycare yes, as he is usually dirty & his feet smell from being in shoes all day! If hes been at home with me & isn't dirty then I will usually let him off with wash ing his face & hands but its not very often he doesn't want a bath or at least a shower with us. He usually hops in the shower with us every morning.

Zahhy

Yes, everynight except for maybe once a blue moon type thing, like if DS goes to MILs for dinner and gets back late. More because they jump in the bath while I'm in the shower and chuck a tanty if I go in without them :p

StringArt

Nope, never at night. There is just to much other stuff to do! My 2 small ones get a late morning bath 2 out of 3 days and DS1 showers before school and after sport.

Cat Burglar

Nope, we have too much going on to do a bath every night if they arent dirty! Young kids dont sweat that much. If she is dirty then yes she gets a wash!

EmAyEm

My 2 year old is every night - she is a messy eater and loves playing in the sand and dirt, so i have no choice really!

My 5 month old is every couple of days at the moment.

luke's mummu

Yes. My kids are so dirty and I don't trust them to wipe their bottom properly. Maybe occasionally miss if we are out at dinner at night. Or if they sick they may miss out.

ALittleBitter

No not every night, probably 4 or 5 times a week. DD hates having a bath so sometimes it's just not worth the hassle.

mygorgeousboy

Yep every night here :)

OneProudMum

DS and DD have a shower/bath 4-5 times a week during the cooler months and everyday in the warmer months.

Edited by OneProudMum

BlondieUK

Mine used to bath every night (except for the occasional night off during holidays. DS2 has just discovered the joys of showering, so now I throw them both in there every night - I am teaching them to turn the shower off on their own (push button) and how to get out safely and get their towels. They brush their teeth in the shower, too.