Sign in to follow this  
Expelliarmus

Second place in the Walk?

Expelliarmus

Er... how is Jared Tallent in second place if there are like a bunch of guys between him and the first place dude?

Did he lap them or something?

*confused*

Starrydawn

Yes he would of lapped them.

Sunny003

I'm thinking he lapped them, yes.

Took me a while to come up with that though ;)

tothebeach

Still trying to understand the point of the walk, an Olympic event where you actually have to check your speed/technique.

Expelliarmus

Yeah, well I'm too brain dead to come up with it myself, I needed to check with someone else :p

Edited by howdo

Colleer

I cannot believe they have been going at hat pace for three and a half hours!

8LittleAustralians

Oh, is the walk on now? Was hoping to watch that with DD, she is out fishing with her grandfather. The walk is her best event. :(

Soontobegran
Still trying to understand the point of the walk, an Olympic event where you actually have to check your speed/technique.

It's because it can't be a 'run'. :)

My brother was a walker, they all get disqualified several times in their career :( They must have one part of the foot on the ground at all times and the leg needs to be locked at the knee as they step forward or it is seen as running.

It's a weird looking thing and very difficult to keep up the technique for 50 kms.

Expelliarmus

Well done to Jared anyway for PB, breaking the old OR and Silver medal.

Not a bad outing ;)

Soontobegran
Well done to Jared anyway for PB, breaking the old OR and Silver medal.

Not a bad outing ;)

Excellent but gosh, how good was the guy who won? He was no spring chicken.

Becs

He still looked pretty fresh the Russian guy! Must be soooo hard not to want to break into a run near the end.

I find it really disappointing that these long distance events are not finished off in the Olympic stadium. No atmosphere. Was the same with marathon and triathlon. so much better when they go into the stadium for the last lap or two!

Jupiter123

"Benjamin Button" as the commentators are calling him, is only 32. I thought he was much older until I heard his age.

As for the race, well done to all. It certainly takes some skill and raw determination to go that hard for 50kms. I was exhausted just watching them lol

Expelliarmus

Erm ... he's 32 ...

Soontobegran
He still looked pretty fresh the Russian guy! Must be soooo hard not to want to break into a run near the end.

I find it really disappointing that these long distance events are not finished off in the Olympic stadium. No atmosphere. Was the same with marathon and triathlon. so much better when they go into the stadium for the last lap or two!

I am pretty sure that the 50 km walk and the Marathon both finished in the stadium here in Sydney , I agree that they all should finish off in front of a crowd.

Weird how the warmest day of the entire Olympics occurs on the day that rain would have been appreciated. :(

Feral Grey Mare

Can't fathom why, of all the available sporting activities, anyone would choose race walking.

Soontobegran
Erm ... he's 32 ...

The Russian guy? Oops , I thought they said 42 and was thinking he was quite a legend.

Becs

Looks 42! Premature balding ;)

I was comparing to Sydney as well for the finish of distance events surely over 50klms they could end up somewhere near the stadium.

Soontobegran
Looks 42! Premature balding ;)

I was comparing to Sydney as well for the finish of distance events surely over 50klms they could end up somewhere near the stadium.

For sure they should organise it better. I remember visions of people running/walking into the stadium and getting a huge ovation which helps carry then across the line before they've collapsed :(

I don't think there is too much happening in the stadium today, maybe they don't have a crowd.

Expelliarmus

Did they want to show off the city of London and the stadium was too far away/has no clear route?

Edited by howdo

HerringToMarmalade

Traditionally it is supposed to end in the stadium but apparently the stadium isn't located in a particularly nice part of London (hackney?) so they don't want any events going through there instead of through the nice scenic areas.

Expelliarmus

Yeah, that too ...

Becs

Well thats a shame...

Ducky*Fuzz

No excuses, there's more walking tomorrow. Beki Lee will be competing.

8LittleAustralians
Can't fathom why, of all the available sporting activities, anyone would choose

race walking.

Because, like any other sport, some people are interested in it and have natural talent for it. My daughter isn't very good at running, throwing, jumping or hurdling, but she has enough stamina and a natural walking technique to make a good walker. It's offered in both little aths and senior athletics, so I would assume, just like my daughter, others would have given it a go and enjoyed it.

I also enjoy walking, it's actually a very good work out. For someone trying to loose weight, I can burn much more cals race walking in the same amount of time as running.

Sign in to follow this