Lucrezia Bauble

Rythmic gymnastics

Lucrezia Bauble

So..(pardon the spelling, am on iPad and am slightly squiffy)... But rythmic gymnastics.....what are your thoughts? I enjoy watching it, and admire them for their skills, DH though, he thinks it's ridiculous, and not "worthy" of an Olympic imprimatur .....

Silly Sausages

my dh thinks the same too. I think it takes a lot of skill. certainly more worthy as an olympic sport than the equestrian and dressage. :rolleyes:

wiggles

DH thinks it looks like "fancy dancing" (his words). I really like it. Probably because I used to do gymnastics.

kpingitquiet

We both think they're impressive. I don't find it any less worthy than Badminton, Table Tennis, or Beach Volleyball.

Expelliarmus

If they can have BMX, they can have fancy dancing.

MummaDiva

It's good if you like Cirque de Soleil.

I find it a bit ridiculous, along with synchro swimming and trampolining, but then again, I prefer true sports like equestrian.

Fossy

Ugh, wish they'd stop showing it. At least it encourages me to go to bed early!

BadCat

I think calling it gymnastics is a bit dodgy. Call it what is is - dance with props.

I don't think it belongs in the olympics. But I don't think basketball, football, or tennis belong there either, for entirely different reasons. Since it's not my job to decide what gets in and what doesn't I just exercise my right to watch or not.

Lucrezia Bauble
If they can have BMX, they can have fancy dancing.

True!

I don't mind it, and I quite like the equestrian .....synchro swimming I do not get. At all.

JAPNII

I love it and so do the kids. Certainly better than watching some sports IMO.

*Lib*

I think of Olympic sports like track and field and swimming. And thats it.

Tennis??? Dont they win enough playing normally?

Lucrezia Bauble
I think of Olympic sports like track and field and swimming. And thats it.

Tennis??? Dont they win enough playing normally?

Yes, that a good point...wasn't the whole reason for the Olympics initially for amateurs...?

BadCat

Yeah but it has't been about amateurs for donkey's years.

busymum01

DH and I were watching it last night our conversation went like this:

DH: "that ball must be sticky for her to be able to do that"

Me: "sweetheart, gymnasts don't have sticky balls, they just manipulate them well"

Cue hysterical laughter. Juvenile yes.

I like it, it's clever, but then I also like the BMX racing...

kpingitquiet
Yes, that a good point...wasn't the whole reason for the Olympics initially for amateurs...?

Yeah, but they ran into a problem of gold medals not representing the actual best in a particular sport. How could you give a gold medal to, say, the 1992 Croatian basketball team, if they were not in fact beating the best the US (for example) had to offer? The best were in the NBA. Anyone sent over for an Olympics that was amateur-only would clearly not have been good enough to be NBA, and not have been the best. Thus, the Dream Team happened.

Expelliarmus

It was also initially about individuals, not countries.

JRA
I think calling it gymnastics is a bit dodgy. Call it what is is - dance with props.

I don't think it belongs in the olympics. But I don't think basketball, football, or tennis belong there either, for entirely different reasons. Since it's not my job to decide what gets in and what doesn't I just exercise my right to watch or not.

Exactly

Without a doubt the rhythmic is skilled and I must say impressive, but so is a circus

On the other point, football does not have the best competing, it makes it a farce.

Tennis just seems wrong, but it will be worse with golf

F.E.B.E

We love it. The flexibility and timing on display in mind-boggling!

Fifteenyears

Throwing a stick is a sport (javelin), backflips are a sport (gymnastics) so I don't see why throwing a stick with a ribbon on it, doing multiple backflips, then catching it shouldn't also qualify.

blackmetallic

Love rhythmic gymnastics, actually watching it now!

I think it's a good sport, it's visually interesting and skilful, as well as entertaining, worthy of a place in the Olympics. (Like synchronised swimming :))

Have you ever tried doing this sport? There are many elements to master (ball, ribbon, hoop, clubs, ropes not to mention the gymnastic/dance/flexibility part), it's actually pretty hard!

jojonbeanie

I love it. Any event where they have to wear sequins gets my vote every time.

Guest holy_j

I used to do Rhythmic Gymnastics. You require incredible strength, flexibility, fitness as well as artistry and the ability to manipulate an iinaminate object pleasingly. Probably why i wasn't very good at it lol. Routines have ot incorporate set moves into them, and more difficulty is required to get better scores. Definitely should be there.

casime

You go out and give it a try to their standards, then come back and argue it isn't a sport.

Niamh23
You go out and give it a try to their standards, then come back and argue it isn't a sport.

Exactly. Same with synchronised swimming. Have a try next time you're in the pool - it's one of the most physically demanding sports out there.

I wonder, is it the fact that these are "women's" sports that makes people question their worthiness to be in the Olympics?

somila

Love it. Can't believe people question that it is a sport.