KSparkles

Pole vault

KSparkles

Can someone explain why the pole vaulters just refused to keep jumping in the qualifying round?

Zarlias

I think they whinged til they got their way despite what the rules/schedule said was supposed to happen?

Expelliarmus

As near as I can tell the competitors insisted they should all go through to the final as they had all jumped the qualifying height. They saw no reason to keep going despite having more than 12 vaulters.

KSparkles

They didnt reach qualifying height of 5.70m...

bakesgirls

Apparently everyone made the qualifying jump, so they didn't see the need to waste their energy doing more jumps.

Zarlias
As near as I can tell the competitors insisted they should all go through to the final as they had all jumped the qualifying height. They saw no reason to keep going despite having more than 12 vaulters.

But I don't think they did, as the commentators said that the automatic qualifying height was 5.7 and they stopped at 5.6?

Although it is highly likely that the 9 commentary team could be wrong....

vrx_chick

As far as I understand it, they set the qualifying height at 5.50m. Normally they take 12 athletes into the final, but 16 made it over the qualifying height, and a group of vaulters told the officials that they didn't want to vault anymore , that they wanted all 16 in the final...

But one of the French athletes had not vaulted, so they had to get him to jump...

There were negotiations between all the athletes, and once they had looked at all of the numbers, countbacks etc, they ended up letting 14 athletes go through to the final...

Clear as mud, huh??

Three Of Hearts

Even though they hadn't reached the qualifying height of 5.70m they felt that because they had dropped half the field so quickly (started with over 30) that it was only fair the ones who had made it through already got to qualify. The main problem was that one of the Fenchmen hadnt actually attempted a vault because he chose to enter the competition at 5.60m. So they had to keep going until everyone had actually had a go.

ETA- I watched the entire qualifying session on Foxtel from 7pm, so not sure what bits were shown on 9 or what that commentary team said!

Edited by Allie_D

Expelliarmus

Steve Hooker just explained it.

And I am still not any more certain about it.

LOL

'They did enough' was what I got.

KSparkles

but surely you'd want less competition in the final?

and why can they bend the rules, these things are normall very strict?

casime

An hour of my life that I'll never get back. Grrrrr.

cheekymonkey

I gathered from what Steve Hooker said that it took many hours to get down to just 12 qualifiers at other competitions. Hence, they all agreed to not waste their time and energy on the qualifier and just take extras through to the final. Fair enough I say. I wouldn't want to keep jumping for hours knowing you wouldn't really get anything at the end.

Expelliarmus

Yeah, they were going to potentially be out there another 2-3 hours just to drop two competitors. Not a final, not worth it if they can avoid it ,is what I finally worked out.

BadCat

Yeah I thought it was just a time thing. They'd already been out there for two and half hours and they didn't want to fart around for another hour for the sake of dropping another couple of competitors. Makes sense to me. If they want to have that many entrants they maybe need to re-think the qualifying arrangements, maybe have more groups or something.