casime

Channel 9 again

casime

ARGH!!! We've sat and watched bloody pole vaulters stuff around trying to get out of actually doing what they arethere to do for thebetter part of the last hour. Could we actually see some athletes that want to compete????

We see one equestrian round, then back to watching the aussie that needs a haircut bounce around again.

Sick of it!!!!

Fifteenyears

That's exactly how the channel 9 commentator phrased it when they switched to equestrian.

It really did make the pole vaulters look precious though didn't it? Fancy going to those lengths to get out of competing.

casime

Doesn't make him look like he has much faith in his own abilities if he doesn't want to compete. He seems like a real twerp.

Expelliarmus

You know, I don't think we can blame that on Channel 9 ...

casime

No, but we can blame the fact that they didn't switch to showing something else instead.

Expelliarmus

And as they didn't actually know what was happening, let's say they switch to something else and the pole vaulters start up again?

They can't win on that one, not really.

casime

They are capable of switching between events, very quickly as necessary.

They are also capable of replaying events. As we've seen with the constant replaying of events over, and over, and over, and over, and over......

MrsLexiK
14812706[/url]']

And as they didn't actually know what was happening, let's say they switch to something else and the pole vaulters start up again?

They can't win on that one, not really.

This it sorta was strange to watch and I kept it on the foxtel channel even though I could have switched.

Expelliarmus

I was kinda fascinated to what was happening so I didn't really care. Some people wanted to see it.

Fifteenyears

It was an unfolding drama and will probably be a bit of a talking point. I can see why they covered it until they figured out exactly what was going on. I can also see why they switched away to see an Australian compete in another event.

purple_daisy

I missed it, what happened?

Soontobegran

What happened is not unusual at all, in fact I believe it happens in all comps such as this.

There is a specific number of jumpers who make the final but you must jump a pre determined height at least once to qualify. Hooker did this very early in the piece, he didn't need to jump any higher.....that will happen in the finals.

He and others did this so all they had to do was wait and watch all the others eliminate themselves from the finals until there were the required number of competitors.

Why risk jumping and possible injury if you gain nothing? Why not conserve your energy for the finals?

I agree it was pretty boring TV...I switched channels because I knew what the outcome would be. I guess Ch 9 weren't thinking clearly.

kpingitquiet

Interestingly, it's the exact same theory behind what those few teams were doing in the Badminton matches. They qualified early and just blew off the rest of the games. They got in trouble for it. I think rules should be across all events for that sort of thing.

Tyfle Hour

I think it was quite understandable not wanting to draw out this round, and save their best efforts for the final. I think I heard Steve Hooker say it was 6 hours of qualifying in Beijing. How awful to have to stand around in the cold in London for that long, watching all your opponents, with the odd jump here and there.

And kind of nice that two extras got to go through to the final.

Soontobegran

I don't think it's like the Badminton as they were trying to 'organise' the list so they could control who they met up with in the early rounds.

With the pole vault the qualifying height was 5.5 metres and the event didn't end until every single jumper had 3 goes at qualifying. Those who got it first jump have to just sit around and wait it out until the rest of the field have all their attempts at the heights leading up to the qualifying height.

It made sense to me that once they had the required number of athletes for the finals they should stop rather than making those who'd already qualified keep jumping...there was nothing to gain from that.

It was an elimination round, not the finals.

mindy05

I think that by the time Hooker jumped last night, he had been waiting for over 2 hours for the earlier guys who started at much lower heights. Makes for a very long competition, especially when at one stage there were 9 men at the same level.