Sign in to follow this  
Guest JaneDoe2010

Shoe colour?

Guest JaneDoe2010

Why do some of the runners have different coloured shoes? I noticed in one race I saw (can't remember what it was, sorry) that there were quite a few with flouro orange or yellow or even blue shoes on, and a couple of guys with one shoe one colour and one another colour! Is this some superstitious thing?

~mimo~

DH and I discussed this last night.

The fluoro yellow (not sure about other colours) are sponsored by Nike. More eco-friendly and some other stuff. $150/pair which seems on par with some you can buy commercially.

sparassidae

Obviously some athletes may have some superstition associated with their shoe colour, but generally I just assumed it was different brands. Eldest DD has fluorescent yellow soccer boots rather than the black of most of her friends, it was just that size in that brand came in that colour.

StarandMoon
Obviously some athletes may have some superstition associated with their shoe colour, but generally I just assumed it was different brands. Eldest DD has fluorescent yellow soccer boots rather than the black of most of her friends, it was just that size in that brand came in that colour.

But why would an athlete have one shoe black and one shoe fluoro?

Guest JaneDoe2010

Yes it was more of the different colour on each foot that I was wondering about. Not that I care, it was interesting LOL!

Luxe

It's not the shoe colours that are making me :omg:

Did you hear the part where they went on about one of the 200 or 100m mens runner's was wearing a $500K watch.

YankDownUnder

My guess is that it has more to do with fashion than actual function, much like gold shoes some athletes have worn in the past. The short-distance runners seem to be flashier than most athletes, what with their gold chains and long painted nails. I'm sure they make sure they've got excellent shoes, but if they have a choice between white and, say, neon green - which one is going to get them noticed more?

sparassidae

In that case I assume it is preference (as a pp said, the sprinters tend to be quite flashy) or superstition.

somila

I am also interested in the long socks trend. I've seen it on the track and in the rowing.

Delirium
I am also interested in the long socks trend. I've seen it on the track and in the rowing.

I would have assumed they are compression socks. Keeps the muscles warm and helps prevent injury.

cesca

We were discussing the yellow fluoro shoes the other day too. :D We can't figure out why so many (over half?) of the athletes are wearing them. Maybe Nike is a sponsor and so athletes were "encouraged" to get rid of their own shoes and wear a pair of freebie sponsor's products?

Sign in to follow this