Sign in to follow this  
Soontobegran

Australian coaching staff

Soontobegran

Apparently according to an interview I just watched on Foxtel there are 14 GOLD medals that have been awarded to athletes from other countries who have Australian coaches!

daisydo

Interesting. Did they say what sports and countries?

I know China/swimming is one.

Soontobegran

No they didn't but I do know the GB women's basketball team have one but there are no gold medals there so there must actually be many, many more as I presume not every Aussie coach of another nation has been rewarded with a gold medla performance.

* Off to google ;)

BadCat

See! Forget putting more money into sport in general. Just pay our coaches better and they will stay here and help our athletes win.

cward
See! Forget putting more money into sport in general. Just pay our coaches better and they will stay here and help our athletes win.
that is certainly true in some cases but there are only so many teams and often more coaches that want/are able to coach at Olympic level. The womens basketball is one example, Carrie Graf the current coach was the assistant coach for Tom Maher for many years. They both can't coach the Olympic team and obviously Tom felt he had long enough at the reins, since leaving the Australian team he has also coached New Zealand, China and Great Britain.

BadCat

I realise that cward. My post was slightly, but not entirely, tongue in cheek.

Feral Becky

Goes both ways too and I think you will find that coaches from overseas have coached our athletes too in the past and present.

I think you are falling for the ACA journalism trick STBG. Expect more where this came from as to our 'woeful effort' at the games :rolleyes:

cward
I realise that cward. My post was slightly, but not entirely, tongue in cheek.
sorry

Soontobegran
I think you are falling for the ACA journalism trick STBG. Expect more where this came from as to our 'woeful effort' at the games :rolleyes:

Not falling for anything. It was an interview with Susie O'Neil and one of the English coaches on Foxtel.

I have no reason to believe it isn't the case.

There was no talk about the 'woeful' effort, in fact quite to the contrary.

:rolleyes: back at you :)

Edited by soontobegran

Guest JaneDoe2010

I agree.

What's your point OP?

Edited by JaneDoe2010

silk
I agree.

What's the point?

Perhaps we could get partial credit for every gold medal won by an athelete trained by an Australian coach. About 10% seem fair?

(Also failing to see the point.)

Guest JaneDoe2010
Perhaps we could get partial credit for every gold medal won by an athelete trained by an Australian coach. About 10% seem fair?

Yeah, so then every 10 we get adds up to another gold for us so that means everything is ok and our athletes have done a good enough job because they got gold. ;)

Soontobegran
I agree.

What's your point OP?

In light of the criticism our athletes have copped I was wondering how different it may have been if these coaches stayed and coached our own ?

Is that a good enough point for you?

Soontobegran

Totally missing the point actually!

bakesgirls

Perhaps they get paid more overseas? Or they were looking for a change in career direction? Either way, I'm sure many Australians have been coached by people from other countries :)

Expelliarmus

I actually also read an editorial piece that what has happened re: coaching is what the athletes have been saying.

Australia didn't get worse - the rest of the world got better.

And the way they did that was looking at what Australia was achieving in global sports despite our small size as a nation and not only mirroring some of our institutes such as the AIS but also hiring our coaches and paying them a lot more.

Australian coach of the Chinese girl - forget her name argh! the 16yo who won gold - is rumoured to get $500 000 if she wins a gold medal something he has neither confirmed nor denied. He has however said that he can get more money coaching overseas now as they have offered Australian coaches way more money than they can earn here. British ex-Olympians have been on TV admitting that part of their success is due to poaching the coaches.

We still have coaches but one of the things the article was saying was that some of the coaches on the ground in London with the Australian swim team were also coaching swimmers from other nations and instead of focusing on the Dolphins (do we still call them that?) they were 'running an eye over' their other clients which is unfair to the Australian athletes for whom they are the team coaches.

So it boils down to the rest of the world using Australian sporting formulas to catch up and some of our athletes being short changed 'on the ground'.

Edited by howdo

Soontobegran
Perhaps they get paid more overseas? Or they were looking for a change in career direction? Either way, I'm sure many Australians have been coached by people from other countries :)

I am sure they do but if the 'powers that be' want to investigate the perceived 'failures' of our Olympic team then perhaps they should look into why our seemingly good coaches are going off shore. It seems like it might be a good place to start instead of blaming the athletes for their supposed lack of motivation/commitment and work ethic which we have had bandied about in the last few days.

efs

Edited by soontobegran

mumto4boys

None of this is new, it is just that more people are noticing now that we're not winning.

The Indian hockey coach is an Aussie, so is the NZ hockey coach. They were both past Aussie gold medalists but the Aussie team only has one head coach, not every great hockey player can go on to coach Australia.

It works both ways too, many of our athletes have coaches that are not Australian.

Our Aussie gymnasts powered to greater success in the late 90s/2000s with Chinese coaches. Our medal winning equestrians mostly live and train overseas with European coaches. There are gyms and clubs all over Australia with Russian and chinese coaches and the football/soccer clubs have plenty of coaches with European backgrounds. We'd have a severe lack of coaches for many sports if Aussies only worked with Aussies.

If you want to be the best then you want to train with the best and many of our athletes spend months at a time training overseas with international coaches. Nobody complains when we're winning.

The swim team misfires this year and everyone suddenly notices.

After the Montreal Olympics ( where according to the media we also 'failed') the government sat up and took notice and then they developed the Australian Institute of Sport. Since then they have helped to develop many talented youngsters. In the 12 years preceeding the Sydney Olympics the government pumped money into talent identification programs, going into schools, measuring kids and suggesting they take up sports that were ideal for the body shape etc. Anna Meares was one of those athletes 'discovered' in this way. No doubt, after this Olympic Games there will be other changes to help rebuild some sectors of Australian Sport.

Guest JaneDoe2010
None of this is new, it is just that more people are noticing now that we're not winning.

Exactly. And making a big deal out of it because only gold is good enough apparently.

hoohoobump

Probably, like many other careers, to work with the best and broaden their experience, they move overseas.

Perhaps, like Ken Wood (Chinese swimming) they have coached many Aussies to the top, but want to try something new (and pay the bills!). I think swim coaches learn more from learn-to-swim than from top name squads.

Scott Volkers (former coach of Susie O'Neill) is in Brazil coaching as far as I know. When he was coaching (before he hit the big time) he had a day job as a painter between morning and afternoon squads.

Sign in to follow this