Sign in to follow this  
Liv_DrSperm_sh

Hate Ch 9's coverage

Amica

Signed.

It wont do any good though. Surely the coverage will go to the highest bidder?

The Nine Network had many complaints against them from the 2010 Winter Olympics coverage it was incredible. There was even a Facebook page with about 600,000 fans in 5 days dedicated to complaining about Chanel 9. It was an absolute disgrace, especially with Eddie McGuire at the reins. He was embarrassing on all levels, particularly whilst making gay jokes during the mens figure skating. It's incredible Nine were trusted with the Olympics again.

Liv_DrSperm_sh

I know it probably won't do any good... :(

I really don't want to give money to foxtel...

Holidayromp

We don't even bother with Ch9 coverage of the olympics. We have paid additional to have the olympics channels on which come with the sports package - the best $18.00 I have ever spent :D

DEVOCEAN
We don't even bother with Ch9 coverage of the olympics. We have paid additional to have the olympics channels on which come with the sports package - the best $18.00 I have ever spent :D

We already had the sports package, so have been loving the olympics coverage.

MrsLexiK

What would you like channel 9 to do? They have one channel they are allowed to broadcast all the events and sports on. They are not allowed to show other events on GO and Gem (just like AFL is not allowed to show the friday night football on those channels unless it is also on their normal channel as well) I suspect once digital free to air is rolled out to every household then this will change but until that happens the free to air channels are stuck.

I was reading this before:

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4167104.html

Sports fans who want to see all the volleyball matches, shooting, handball and field events (free-to-air TV hates field events like pole vault, discus, and long jump) can make a choice and buy a pay TV subscription and forego other non-essentials, or they can put up with Channel Nine's endless replays, crosses to the studio and heart-constricting back-stories that attempt to find the biggest emotion from the smallest of issues.

But what should not happen is for the government to intervene in such a way that sports fans lose that choice and are forced to watch a substandard coverage. All that will happen is what is happening in the USA now - the audience will seek out "alternative" means.

(feral)epg

For some reason we don't get reliable channel nine (or SBS) and don't have foxtel. So that literally means I can't watch anything. I really thought I'd be able to stream some stuff live on the internet - but everything is either on subscription services or 'unavailable in your area (eg BBC).

So all I get to see is the still pictures they show on ABC - for some reason they're not permitted to show any moving images.

First world problem I know! But does highlight how the olympics are NOT the peoples games or anything like that but a massive economic exercise.

Liv_DrSperm_sh
What would you like channel 9 to do? They have one channel they are allowed to broadcast all the events and sports on. They are not allowed to show other events on GO and Gem (just like AFL is not allowed to show the friday night football on those channels unless it is also on their normal channel as well) I suspect once digital free to air is rolled out to every household then this will change but until that happens the free to air channels are stuck.

I was reading this before:

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/4167104.html

Do what every other country in the flipping world does and have catch-up video on line, replay the evenings events during the day, stop wasting time on replays and interviews when there are actual sports being played.

I've lived and watched the Olympics in three countries now. Even little old NZ has better coverage than Australia! The BBC which is FREE TO AIR manages to have awesome coverage of the olympics, including *gasp* sports where british athletes aren't competing!

Seriously, there are bedouin tribes in the sahara that have better coverage than Australia!

Liv_DrSperm_sh
For some reason we don't get reliable channel nine (or SBS) and don't have foxtel. So that literally means I can't watch anything. I really thought I'd be able to stream some stuff live on the internet - but everything is either on subscription services or 'unavailable in your area (eg BBC).

So all I get to see is the still pictures they show on ABC - for some reason they're not permitted to show any moving images.

First world problem I know! But does highlight how the olympics are NOT the peoples games or anything like that but a massive economic exercise.

I know, it's truly awful! I can't believe the IOC has those rules, it's total bollocks!

Apparently you can download VPN software that'll let you stream BBC.

Guest JaneDoe2010

What would I like them to do? Report in a POSITIVE manner, not ask someone getting a silver medal how they feel being a loser!!!! It's no less than disgusting. :angry:

MrsLexiK
Do what every other country in the flipping world does and have catch-up video on line, replay the evenings events during the day, stop wasting time on replays and interviews when there are actual sports being played.

I've lived and watched the Olympics in three countries now. Even little old NZ has better coverage than Australia! The BBC which is FREE TO AIR manages to have awesome coverage of the olympics, including *gasp* sports where british athletes aren't competing!

Seriously, there are bedouin tribes in the sahara that have better coverage than Australia!

the BBC also has 2 channels, we have one channel. I've only watched channel 9 in the mornings and perhaps at night when I have just wanted a bit of everything and not wanting to watch one particular sport. So I have no idea about their coverage durning the day as I am at work. You do realise that there is a catch up video online at ninemsn right? Did you miss the 100m final where not 1 aussie was racing?? The thing is channel 9 has one channel to try and show everything, they are going to show what is deemed "more popular" or what the "average Australian" is going to want to watch. Which will include big swim and running races where no Aussies are present but will probably not include a Judo match where there is no Aussie present.

Imagin how much they would be able to show if there was 2 channels??

Guest JaneDoe2010

http://www.facebook.com/ch9fail

Another page to join if you're on Facebook.

I call bullsh*t to the "one channel only". They're showing Olympics stuff on Gem too.

Feral Grey Mare

Why did we have to have every mind-numbing step of the women's marathon broadcast? Wouldn't occasional updates then a few minutes at the finish have been enough?

MrsLexiK
http://www.facebook.com/ch9fail

Another page to join if you're on Facebook.

I call bullsh*t to the "one channel only". They're showing Olympics stuff on Gem too.

I don't have GEM (as it doesn't come through on foxtel) but from what I have read/heard it is the digital copy of what is being played on 9. They (channel 9) are not allowed to split the broadcasting as the act is still under review (and at present it says no splitting of sporting broadcast between digital and analog for certain sports and events. These sports/events must be available to all people) If they had lobbied the senator for an answer (or expemption) their would be just as many people complaining that they were not showing anything but the less popular sports in Digital. It really is a no win situation. Come 2016 though it won't be a problem as everyone will be digital.

dadwasathome

On digital, 9 is standard definition, GEM is high definition of the same content.

I haven't been taking enough interest these games to get really rile (maybe watching an hour or two some days), but the mere presence of Eddie McGuire on the team is an issue. For me, he has a great face for radio and a brilliant voice for newspapers......

Guest JaneDoe2010

Well if it's the same content it's not at the same time. This morning Channel 9 was showing the morning show (or whatever it's called - add in fake teeth and fake tan) and GEM had Olympics highlights on. They have 2 channels to use clearly, even if it's similar stuff.

Boombox

I think the absolute height of crazy is that they aren't showing replay coverage during the day. WHAT is with that?! I imagine their all night coverage probably shows a few sports, but maybe they don't grasp that the majority of Australians need to sleep at some point in 2 weeks.

If I was incharge I would have 3-4 hours during the day showing at least 10 minutes straight of the highlights of each sport from the previous night (AUS time). I think that would be so awesome, and would love to watch that instead of the ridiculous day time offerings currently on. Don't they realise it would increase their ratings, and create a feeling of good will towards ch 9- right now I'd be happy to never watch the stupid station again (and with their advertised upcoming shows BB, anger mngmt etc etc I don't think I'll miss anything either!)

dadwasathome
Well if it's the same content it's not at the same time. This morning Channel 9 was showing the morning show (or whatever it's called - add in fake teeth and fake tan) and GEM had Olympics highlights on. They have 2 channels to use clearly, even if it's similar stuff.

But if 9 was showing that highlights package, the same package would be on GEM at the same time. When 9 has Olympics on, if GEM is showing also showing Olympics it is the same content in HD. They have only purchased the rights to a single feed, but could possibly show that on all 4 of their (digital) channels at the same time if they wanted.

pili-pala

BBC have a thing called the red button - you press that and you get another '9' channels you can watch. Its awesome when watching sport (but you wouldn't be able to get that through bbc iplayer though). Australia TV doesn't seem to do the 'red' button thing anymore (it did about 6 or 7 years ago during rugby so you could watch different angles etc - not sure if Foxtel sports still have that functionality).

It actually took over 30 minutes of watching Ch 9 this mornign to find out who won the 100m Final (and two newsbreaks where they didn't mention the olympics) - whislt waiting, they showed, water polo, basketball, diving (and probably cycling). based on coverage of the heats of 100m I expected it to be on every 10 mins!.

Heather11
I think the absolute height of crazy is that they aren't showing replay coverage during the day. WHAT is with that?! I imagine their all night coverage probably shows a few sports, but maybe they don't grasp that the majority of Australians need to sleep at some point in 2 weeks.

I agree. They could also show highlights of the sports that they haven't been able to cover in their live broadcast. There are so many sports we have had no coverage of.

They were going on last night that Michael Diamond was doing well in the shooting but we didn't see anything.

The coverage just seems so lacklustre.

Lifesgood
On digital, 9 is standard definition, GEM is high definition of the same content.

I haven't been taking enough interest these games to get really rile (maybe watching an hour or two some days), but the mere presence of Eddie McGuire on the team is an issue. For me, he has a great face for radio and a brilliant voice for newspapers......

Make that braille newspapers and I agree completely.

miaandme
It actually took over 30 minutes of watching Ch 9 this mornign to find out who won the 100m Final (and two newsbreaks where they didn't mention the olympics) - whislt waiting, they showed, water polo, basketball, diving (and probably cycling). based on coverage of the heats of 100m I expected it to be on every 10 mins!.

Really?? I saw it live and then they replayed it all morning all the time for the next hour or so.

I really dislike the attitude they show if we don't get Gold - that is revolting.

You know what though no coverage is perfect, and I remember feeling like this 4 years ago, and 8 years ago. I've actually managed to watch a lot of the medals that Australia has won, or seen them replayed soon after.

Edited by miaandme

Amica

I'm sick of the Jeep, Don't Hold Back ads, I'm sick of the Swisse ads and I'm also sick to death of the ad with the girl running and coming face to face with Cathy Freeman. I can't even recall what it's advertising but it makes me want to throw something.

Liv_DrSperm_sh
the BBC also has 2 channels, we have one channel. I've only watched channel 9 in the mornings and perhaps at night when I have just wanted a bit of everything and not wanting to watch one particular sport. So I have no idea about their coverage durning the day as I am at work. You do realise that there is a catch up video online at ninemsn right? Did you miss the 100m final where not 1 aussie was racing?? The thing is channel 9 has one channel to try and show everything, they are going to show what is deemed "more popular" or what the "average Australian" is going to want to watch. Which will include big swim and running races where no Aussies are present but will probably not include a Judo match where there is no Aussie present.

Imagin how much they would be able to show if there was 2 channels??

Ummmm, you do realise that MOST of the BBC coverage is online? I have actually watched two summer olympics and two winter olympics over there, I know exactly what the BBC coverage entails!

As for channel 9s online catch-up...it's so p*ss poor it doesn't even warrant speaking about. The womans team event in gymnastics....3 minutes and 48 seconds...WOW, what the hell am I complaining about!!! Handball 5 minutes...fencing, 1 minute of a lady crying, sailing where Australia are poised to win FOUR GOLDS...1 minute INTERVIEW!!

No I absolutely see your point, I shouldn't be complaining at all....channel 9 you are doing a bang up job!!

Oh and of course playing the 100m final makes up for them missing BASICALLY EVERY OTHER SPORT PLAYED IN THE OLYMPICS.

I also call bullsh*t on their two channel rule. Looking at the legislation it looks like you can't televise LIVE on two channels. Who said anything about live...have channel 9 as live and GEM as highlights and catch-up...it's not rocket science!!

Liv_DrSperm_sh
I'm sick of the Jeep, Don't Hold Back ads, I'm sick of the Swisse ads and I'm also sick to death of the ad with the girl running and coming face to face with Cathy Freeman. I can't even recall what it's advertising but it makes me want to throw something.

**shudder*** those bloody swisse ads make me want to barf! Do we really need to see them every 5 friggen minutes!

Sign in to follow this