Sign in to follow this  
SophieBear

Mitchell Watt wins Silver - Gives media a serve

Flutter Bug

:clap:

Yay for him!

Since when did coming second in the whole WORLD become so disappointing anyway?

BadCat
I hope he isn't disappointed in his name continually being misspelled.

:rolleyes: I think he has bigger fish to fry actually. And rightly so. Fricking media have been disgusting during this olympics. Good on him for giving them a serve. Gold medal in STFU for Mr Watt please.

Edited by BadCat

Mrs Dinosaurus

I think he is correct and the media have been disgraceful, but too often it's not actually media people but ex-gold medalists doing the criticising. I'm not sure how many ex-Olympians have journalism degrees but I am pretty disappointed in the likes of Grant Hackett talking about choking/pressure instead of saying "wow, silver is AMAZING" which would be so much easier (although possibly generate fewer viewers which is also very, very important).

Heaven help Sally if she 'fails' to win gold.

Starrydawn

Well said. Someone wins a silver the reporter says so where did it all go wrong.

The Athletes should be applauded for their efforts. Even if they are personally disappointed they should still be praised.

jojonbeanie
Since when did coming second in the whole WORLD become so disappointing anyway?

You might need to explain this to some of the athletes too. While I'm disappointed with the media I'm also pretty disappointed with the athletes who couldn't manage a civil word or crack a smile when they won silver.

SophieBear
I hope he isn't disappointed in his name continually being misspelled.

Apologies everyone! Especially Mitchell Watt.

canuckmel
You might need to explain this to some of the athletes too. While I'm disappointed with the media I'm also pretty disappointed with the athletes who couldn't manage a civil word or crack a smile when they won silver.

Can you really blame them though, when they are constantly being told silver is letting down their family and country and then being forced to speak to a media reinforcing that they somehow must be disappointed.

Good on Mitchell Watt though. Absolutely agree the media's conduct has been appalling.

Soontobegran

I haven't seen too many who have not managed a civil word although I do know some of the media have made several attempts to make a story out of nothing .....as in the James Magnussen thing we he supposedly brushed past the reporter after the race, thank goodness she was honest enough to say it never happened but I do think the behaviour of the athletes is more of a symptom of the unbelievable pressure put on them by the public, their coaches, the media and themselves.

Many of these are barely more than kids, I think they need to be given just a little more empathy.

jojonbeanie
Can you really blame them though, when they are constantly being told silver is letting down their family and country and then being forced to speak to a media reinforcing that they somehow must be disappointed.

I haven't seen too many who have not managed a civil word although I do know some of the media have made several attempts to make a story out of nothing .....as in the James Magnussen thing we he supposedly brushed past the reporter after the race, thank goodness she was honest enough to say it never happened but I do think the behaviour of the athletes is more of a symptom of the unbelievable pressure put on them by the public, their coaches, the media and themselves.

Many of these are barely more than kids, I think they need to be given just a little more empathy.

We must have watched very different footage of the mens rowing team.

TinCat 🐈

But I think that's part of the problem. It's natural to be disappointed immediately after the event.

But our obsession with interviewing them straight away leaves them no time to gather their thoughts. I have heard the rowing team interviewed since, and yes they were disappointed but they are also very proud of their silver medal now that it is more than 5 seconds since they finished!

Guest JaneDoe2010
But I think that's part of the problem. It's natural to be disappointed immediately after the event.

But our obsession with interviewing them straight away leaves them no time to gather their thoughts. I have heard the rowing team interviewed since, and yes they were disappointed but they are also very proud of their silver medal now that it is more than 5 seconds since they finished!

Good point.

canuckmel
We must have watched very different footage of the mens rowing team.

I didn't see the men's rowing team, but I have seen interviews with 'minor' medalist, for want of a better phrase, where they have been asked about the disappointing result.

Sign in to follow this