Sign in to follow this  
SophieBear

Mitchell Watt wins Silver - Gives media a serve

SophieBear

Did anyone see this this morning?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/london-olympi...v-1226443541786

and

http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news-london...0805-23o4z.html

Silver medal-winning long jumper Watt blamed the Australian media for the disappointment at Australia's lower-than-average Olympic performance.

"The team is happy, I'm happy, the head coach is happy, I've got thousands of messages from back home that are happy and the only people that aren't happy are you guys," Watt told a press conference last night.

"You need to wake up."

The Australian media have been shameful in their reports. Embarassing even.

"I was pretty aware there was a gold medal tag around my neck. I was asked by a journalist over there, the first thing he said was that's disappointing and then asked why Australia seems to be not doing well. I said it's questions like that that make it seem like we're not doing well," Watt said.

"An Olympic gold medal is bloody hard to get and all the sports are becoming more competitive and more globalised and there are 210 countries here.

EF Name spelling error.

Edited by Olivemyrtlemay
Edited to add SMH link

Not Escapin Xmas

Couldn't agree more. The reporting re all the silvers has been TERRIBLE!

bearosauraus

About time someone said it!!

Goggie

Good on him.

Love this line from News Limited, could only be written by a journalist defending his position "Watt's anger at the media was predictable, but misdirected". Misdirected? Really? Who else is writing this rubbish then?

Chchgirl

Good on him, glad he gave them a serve! Plus good on him, silver's great!

SophieBear
Good on him.

Love this line from News Limited, could only be written by a journalist defending his position "Watt's anger at the media was predictable, but misdirected". Misdirected? Really? Who else is writing this rubbish then?

I know! What biased morons.

I watched the story originally on Sunrise and they applauded him. ?? They've been just as bad.

They want the ppl at home to forget that they ARE Australian media.

Zahhy

Good on him. Bout time someone acknowledged that just because we often win, doesn't mean we're guaranteed to win, and the olympics is meant to be a representation of the best athletes in their sports - of course it will be a tough competition. Getiing ANY medal is an awesome effort.

The front page of the paper yesterday had a headline to the effect of "Australia not winning any gold in the swimming is disastrous, now there's going to be an investigation into why". Uhm, how about 'we weren't the fastest, so we didn't win'?

Chelli
:clap: Well said Mitchell Watts!

MAGS24

It's the media coverage that has really put me off watching the Olympics this time around. I usually watch a lot of it but there has been so much negativity this year. A sliver medal is a huge achievement and it's sad that the media and some of the athletes are not appreciating it for what it is.

Guest JaneDoe2010

Well said.

Soontobegran

I don't think journalists covering the Olympics will ever feel they have done the wrong thing. :(

To come 2nd or 3rd or even get a PB is brilliant for such a small country who get next to nothing support from the government.

If they want the 'gold' they need to put money into athletics and swimming and if they don't want to then STFU about the poor performances.

71Cath

Well said Mitchell Watts :clap:

Procrastinator5000

Sometimes I really wonder how journalists sleep at night. Many of them have sold their soul when it comes to things like this.

FlutterbyBlue

There are NO disappointing or poor performances at any Olympic Games. Just to qualify to take part is a huge achievement. The level of athleticism needed is well beyond anything most athletes achieve. It is also so far above anything that most journalists or average people could achieve that every single one of 'us' should be standing in awe of their dedication and abilities.

:clap:

PattiODoors

I watched Mitchell get the silver while I was up feeding DS. The commentator said in a very solemn voice " I think Mitchell will go home and this will pray on his mind for a very long time."

Excuse me?

The man got silver... that is amazing. He is a superb athlete.

Every athlete who qualifies to represent their country in the Olympic games should be enormously proud of themselves. That is an achievement in itself.

Winning a medal is a bonus.

Good on Mitchell for speaking up.

2plusoops

Agree with all PPs.

In comparison to the world population, very few people even qualify for the Olympics, even fewer are able to win a medal of any colour. To say someone failed simply because the colour of their medal is not gold says more about the person speaking than the athlete concerned. I think our applause should go to all those who are able to call themselves an Olympian - whether they have a medal or not. That is an achievement in itself.

Some of the Australian journalists need to go back to school and learn about good sportsmanship and what competing in the Olympics means to the athletes. I certainly dont want my kids reading or listening to these comments and thinking that they need to always to be first in order to have 'won'.

Let the athletes celebrate their achievements regardless of a medal, regardless of the colour. Let our kids soak up the importance of doing your best regardless of the outcome.

Just Another Cat

Silver is not disappointing but the media coverage and support for our athletes is very disappointing :no:

bakesgirls

Silver is fantastic! Congratulations to him. Good on him for saying something to the media. Their reporting of this whole thing has been abysmal, they should all be ashamed of themselves for spouting such drivel when our athletes are doing a brilliant job. It's hard enough to qualify for the Olympics, let alone a final. We as a country, should be proud of every single athlete who made it there.

**Xena**

I am so glad he spoke out against the media. Their attitudes during the coverage are quite frankly disgusting. We should be supporting our athletes and be proud of them. Qualifying for the Olympics is a huge achievement and whilst Gold medals are great so are silver, bronze and even just competing. Not many people can say they have competed in the Olympics!

The Cat

Good on him. Well done.

To be an Olympian, to qualify to compete in the Olympic's is a magnificent accomplishment in itself, I see no need to belittle an athlete's ability. Very poor form.

Even before the Olympic's began this year, the ch 9 commercial already irked me with that swimmer saying something along the lines of not competing for silver, only for the gold. Where is the sportsmanship in that? What is that teaching our kids? Get first or you are just not good enough? Very wrong.

pili-pala

I really liked how he combined the fact that he wanted to win Gold and didn't perform as well as he could (particularly in light of his performances thus far) with the fact that you still shouldn't call it disappointing as that implies that you have let everyone down, when you haven't - you just haven't performed as well as you have in the past but you tried your hardest on the day (in his case) or you have performed your best but others performed better on the day.

Expelliarmus

I love that he called the media out on it.

I hate that they haven't recognised his serve for what it is.

I hate that the Aussie media would rather talk to ageing American sprinters than interview our silver and bronze medallists. I have seen an interview with two of the gold medallists and Mitchell Watt. I have seen more with past Olympians from a range of countries and Princes William and Harry!

Epic Fail Australian media.

BadCat

Well said Mitchell Watts. :clap:

matt1972

I hope he isn't disappointed in his name continually being misspelled.

doubledelight

I've always been a fan of Mitchell Watts the athelete but today I became a fan of Mitchell Watts the man.

I think what he said was dead on the money.

Australian journalists everywhere should be hanging their heads in collective shame.

Sign in to follow this