Sign in to follow this  
~Delilah~

Taking part for Muslim women really does mean more than winning at Olympics

missjoads1234
:down: me too. They have come a long way since "Princess". (Amazing read by the way.)

Expelliarmus

Yeah, tell me again how Olympic athletes aren't courageous brave and heroic.

missjoads1234

Oh Howdo for shame :no::rant:

WinterIsComing

That's why it infuriates me when privileged western women exclaim that they want nothing to do with feminism...

Datrys

I was listening to a radio programme the other day interviewing some of the Islamic athletes; apparently not only are these women doing what they are doing against the odds; many of them are competing while observing the Ramadan fast.

Honestly, if I fast for half a day I turn into a headache-stricken grumpy b**ch. There's no way I could do anything at an international level under those conditions, and I take my hat off to these people who are!

Guest holy_j

Morocco has quite a few female olympians competing, i see their pictures all over my newsfeed from DP's relatives and friends encouraging them.

These women mentioned are beyond brave and courageous. True heroes.

missjoads1234
apparently not only are these women doing what they are doing against the odds; many of them are competing while observing the Ramadan fast.

:o Serious wow good on em. Unbelievable.

ImperatorFuriosa

It would be even better if she chose not to wear the hajib.

Guest Sunnycat

Why? Wtf does her hijab have to do with anything?

ImperatorFuriosa
Why? Wtf does her hijab have to do with anything?

Well the OP was talking about them being heroes for overcoming adversity. So it would be even better if they over came having to wear the hijab.

MuppetGirl

Seeing some of these women walk out at the opening ceremony made watching the A - Z procession worth while.

True inspirations, brave to their core and heroes in my eyes.

Just imagine, after they were vilified for coming in the first place, how they will be treated when they go home after having actually competed in the event. In their shoes I would be terrified but they will go proudly home after having done what no woman from their country has done before.

MuppetGirl

Quite often, the women wearing the Hijab, see it as a mark of respect to their culture and religion, rather than opression by men, so I doubt that is an issue for them most of the time. Of course they would likely get better times without them but I doubt they care about that :)

ComradeBob
Well the OP was talking about them being heroes for overcoming adversity. So it would be even better if they over came having to wear the hijab.

I would be interested to know exactly how a hijab represents an adversity. I thought it was a simple expression of a person's religious faith, much like Christians who wear a crucifix, but obviously I am mistaken. :rolleyes:

missjoads1234

You've lost me....Im surviving off very little sleep remember...

Fright bat

I know plenty of Australian raised tertiary educated Muslim women, some married to non-Muslim Australian men, who CHOOSE to wear the hijab. It may be the emblem of subjugation, but is not, by itself, a form of suppression.

Guest holy_j

The hijab is a personal choice. Now this may or may not be the case for this women.

I read a great article probably a decade ago, from the perspective from one of the Saudi men (yes MEN) fighting for women's rights. He was asked why they aren't fighting for the right for women to drive? At that time Saudi women weren't entitled to much of an education beyond primary school. Which should we fight for first, the right to drive or the right for women to have a decent education? is what his response was.

Pretty self explanatory there. I feel the same line of thinking applies here. The important thing is they got there.

Unatheowl

Erm, I'm not quite sure Muslim women view it as something to be "overcome".

Expelliarmus
You've lost me....Im surviving off very little sleep remember...

Someone earlier in the week said we shouldn't talk about our Olympians as heroes and brave etc.

I say in response to that, read the article posted by the OP and then come back and tell me Olympians are NOT heroes and courageous and brave.

Guest Sunnycat

Maybe she's choosing to wear it?

SarahVandooo
14801523[/url]']

The hajib is a part of their culture and religeon, it has nothing to do with overcoming anything. I have Muslim friends who wear them I have Muslim friends who don't, it all goes on their beliefs and culture

People need to get their facts straight before making comments like that.

**Xena**

Simply amazing women and I hope they are the first of many :)

MuppetGirl
Simply amazing women and I hope they are the first of many :)

Oh Xena, I need sleep. I just read that as "hope they are the first to marry" and was all shocked at you for a moment :blush:

Fluster

I'm so amazed at their strength and determination. Shaherkani's father should also be applauded for fighting for his daughter's rights, as should other Olympians' supportive family members.

Regarding the hijab, I think it is probably best that these Muslim pioneers continue to dress as modestly as possible while competing. It will undoubtedly help to persuade conservative Muslims that an expansion of women's rights does not automatically correspond to a decline in religious value.

Sign in to follow this