Sign in to follow this  
TinCat 🐈

Takayuki Kishimoto - 400m Men's hurdles

TinCat 🐈

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/photos/japans-tak...-125907584.html

I was watching the heats of the hurdles last night and Takayuki Kishimoto injured himself on the first hurdle. He bravely finished the race and hobbled off the track.

They showed him a few minutes later heading back to the change rooms I guess? But he was still alone and using the railing heavily to reduce the weight on his injured leg. No one was helping him and I guess I was wondering why?

It just seemed very sad to me, that he could injure himself and then have to make his own way back and no one offered to help.

I'm hoping I missed something?

dirtyhoe

Well he was very unlucky and no doubt in a foul mood afterwards. Maybe everyone was to scared? :ph34r:

JRA

It was really p*ssing me off last night.

HE slowly struggled off the track and up the walkway and no-one did a thing

It was quite odd. No, more than odd

Edited by JRA

*Finn*

I saw this too and wondered what was going on. No one came to him at all. He hobbled over to his possessions and still no one came to help :(

Guest JaneDoe2010

Wow, that's awful and weird.

Pretty much sums up the feeling of the Olympics - all Gold or you're a "loser". :(

TinCat 🐈

Glad I wasn't the only one shocked by it.

There was footage a few months ago of a teenage runner in the US stopping toward the end of a race to help someone injured across the line.

While I wouldn't expect that in the Olympics - I didn't expect it to go so far the other way either.

Edited by TinCat

HRH Countrymel
While I wouldn't expect that in the Olympics - I didn't expect it to go so far the other way either.

Maybe not the Olympics, and maybe not today, but back in 1956 (an Olympic year) a pretty awesome man did do just that at the AUstralian Championships.

John Landy.

What has happened to us?

TinCat 🐈

Wow, thank you so much for that link. I hadn't seen it before - just amazing.

JRA

I think the Landy/Clarke footage is something that should be seen by all.

I must admit it is one of those famous pieces of sports footage especially in Aus

Mrs Darcy

Kind of similar story…

Did anyone see the Russian in the walking race, Valeriy Borchin? He collapsed at the 19km mark (he was coming 2nd) and it took so long for anyone to check on him. His eyes were rolling back in his head and this guy (probably an official) just stood there poking him. No one seemed to be concerned. Apparently they finally got their act together and he was taken to hospital.

That footage of John Landy is amazing

Guest JaneDoe2010

Thanks for the link, that's really good. That's what I want my kids to learn.

MoonPie
Maybe not the Olympics, and maybe not today, but back in 1956 (an Olympic year) a pretty awesome man did do just that at the AUstralian Championships.

John Landy.

What has happened to us?

I cared for a woman and her husband who used Landy as their newborn son's middle name :wub:

Judydoll

The Courier Mail is running a "Memorable Moments" on its home page where they have gone back through the history books and found what they think to be the top 20 moments from all the games. Quite a few of them have moments similar to John Landy ie father helping son over the line due to injury, Mexico games where a runner took over an hour longer than anyone else to finish and people stayed on to watch and then the games where a German (in front of Hitler) gave advice to a black competitor in the athletics. Can't link it but check it out - really interesting stuff.

So many wow moments there with people actually caring about their fellow human beings and going beyond the desire to win a medal for self/country.

Judydoll

Thanks JaneDoe2010.

tothebeach

That was exactly the discussion that we had last night. Forgetting the officials, why didn't one of the other competitors help him?

marley*and*me

It also happened in the steeplechase the other day. A guy snapped his shin on the last hurdle and the officials just left him on the track for ages. It was just awful to watch. He even tried to get himself offit was taking that long to get medical attention to him.

Sign in to follow this