bluedragon

What's worse than Ch 9s coverage of the Olympics....

bluedragon

...no coverage at all! Seriously it's Saturday, I sit down this morning to watch a bit of the Olympics and there is a replay of last nights NRL match on. Why would they show this (in Victoria too no less) instead of the Olympics? Grrr

So I come back now that the baby is having a nap thinking, surely now the rugby has finished they'll be showing some of the olympics, but no there is nothing on until 3.30 apparently.

So I start to flick and I've came across Beauty and the Geek. OMG is all I can say, it's so bad I can't look away! Where do they find these people? They were quizzing some of the 'beauties' on geography. One woman couldn't tell the problem with a map was that Africa (yes the ENTIRE continent) was upside down! Another thought that Egypt was a good answer to 'name a continent starting with E'.

So thanks Ch9. Not only have I not seen any Olympics today but my mind has lost a few IQ points just watching the drivel of other channels!

CherrySunday

I'd prefer beauy & the geek... But DD has misplaced the remote :'(

nothing123

I don't understand why they are doing this on weekdays too. It flicks over to usual programming for a number of hours. Surely there is enough sport going on every day at the Olympics that they could replay more stuff? It's only on every 4 years.... I don't want to watch B&B!!

Do you think as a free channel they are only contracted to show a certain number of hours per day, so people are more likely to sign up with pay TV for better coverage?

Holidayromp

Thank Christ for foxtel is all I can. I am enjoying the coverage from my lazy boy as I type and know that I have live uninterupted coverage on various events across several channels.

But that sucks OP. At least they can put replays or something or because most of the Games are on when we are all in bed. :(

pili-pala

What I don't understand is how they managed to NOT show the Olympics on gem (showed NRL) whilst showing the Olympics on 9. If they can do this on one night then why haven't they been doing this all the other nights and actually show more Olympic sports during peak viewing.

TheWanderer

I think the only thing that could be worse than the FTA coverage is our team's performance.

bluedragon

Ok so it's started but we saw this swimming race last night! I don't know why I bother.

I will be getting foxtel next time that's for sure.

I have such fond memories of watching the Olympics as a kid, it seemed to be on all day every day and showed lots of different sports in some depth and not just the Aussies.

Am I just remembering things as better than they were?

50ftqueenie

We recorded a few hours worth last night so DD can watch some today, it's been great!

Feral Grey Mare

No Blue Dragon you are not imagining that coverage used to be better. We used to see medal ceremonies for winners from other countries, we used to see the athletes introduced before they raced, we used to get by without interviewing every family member of every Australian athlete, Apparently all our riders have been eliminated from the equestrian dressage already - I must have blinked !

BadCat
I think the only thing that could be worse than the FTA coverage is our team's performance.

Oh pfft. We have 20 medals for heaven's sake. I think that's pretty damn good.

fr0g

I prefer listening to the Simpsons zombie episode that is playing in the background.

Curse you, Channel 9, for pretending you could do a proper job of covering the olympics....

TheWanderer
14802667[/url]']

Oh pfft. We have 20 medals for heaven's sake. I think that's pretty damn good.

Pitty about the colour.

Edited by TheWanderer

TinCat 🐈
Pitty about the colour. I guess if losing is good then, sure it is great.

oh rack off would you!

Prancer is coming

I hear you. I am on maternity leave at the moment, and thought it would be great to be able to watch the olympics all day. But no, nothing on between 11 and 4 here. And the morning London Gold or whatever it is called is hopeless. I see every swimming race and finals multiple times a day, but not much of anything else.

Swimming and diving are hardly ever on tv, and now even in the olympics I can't watch it. The best I've seen is a few routines from the medal winners and the odd Aussie performance. Would be nice to watch the whole thing. And they are so busy jumping around with their quick coverage that they often don't even put up the times of the winners and place getters. Some of us are interested in times or who came fourth.

Fifteenyears

The other answers to the OP's question could be Anger Management and Big Brother based on the frequently screened ads for both.

BadCat

You're a channel 9 commentator aren't you?

If you really think coming second or third in a major international sporting competition is losing then your perceptions of winning and losing are ****.

Guest JaneDoe2010

If you really think coming second or third in a major international sporting competition is losing then your perceptions of winning and losing are ****.

I was going to say that that TheWanderer must be the target audience for Channel 9's disgusting commentary.

What hope have our kids got when this is what is presented to them - first place or you're a loser. :(

TinCat 🐈
What hope have our kids got when this is what is presented to them - first place or you're a loser

I was thinking about this this morning when I was explaining to my 5 year old that the Aussies getting silver in the swimming relay was fantastic.

I'm telling him that, but if I let him watch the news it will be all about how disappointing it was. Guess that's one reason why we don't watch the news!

TheWanderer
14802795[/url]']

Heh hardly. I have watched probably 20 minutes of the channel 9 coverage. I learned a while ago that if you want good sport coverage then pay for it, otherwise you are at the beck and call of the free to air coverage's attitude of squeezing every dollar out of an event for minimum effort.

My issue is not that some people are winning silver and bronze medals. For exapmple watching the bronze in the triathalon last night was great, that woman is a star. My problem is the presumptive arrogance element that has crept into parts of the squad.

There seems to be an attitude amongst some in the team that they only had to show up and they would get gold. It is if they were dirty that other counteries actually put up good athletes against them. You can hang only a part of this on the athletes themselves, many are just kids afterall. Most of the blame has to be with those around them who are setting them up for such a fall.

So the way I see it is that there is a big difference between someone fighting adversity and winning an unexpected silver or bronze medal and someone expecting to win gold but then losing and getting silver. It is unfortunate that the good news stories are being overshadowed by the negative ones.

Sure kids have to learn that losing is part of life, you can't win everything, but the better lesson is to teach kids that when they do lose then they need to learn from it otherwise they are destined to keep repeating it... and never approach a situation with complacency.

Edited by TheWanderer

CherrySunday
Heh hardly. I have watched probably 20 minutes of the channel 9 coverage. I learned a while ago that if you want good sport coverage then pay for it, otherwise you are at the beck and call of the free to air coverage's attitude of squeezing every dollar out of an event for minimum effort.

My issue is not that some people are winning silver and bronze medals. For exapmple watching the bronze in the triathalon last night was great, that woman is a star. My problem is the presumptive arrogance element that has crept into parts of the squad.

There seems to be an attitude amongst some in the team that they only had to show up and they would get gold. It is if they were dirty that other counteries actually put up good athletes against them. You can hang only a part of this on the athletes themselves, many are just kids afterall. Most of the blame has to be with those around them who are setting them up for such a fall.

So the way I see it is that there is a big difference between someone fighting adversity and winning an unexpected silver or bronze medal and someone expecting to win gold but then losing and getting silver. It is unfortunate that the good news stories are being overshadowed by the negative ones.

Sure kids have to learn that losing is part of life, you can't win everything, but the better lesson is to teach kids that when they do lose then they need to learn from it otherwise they are destined to keep repeating it... and never approach a situation with complacency.

so glad someone said this!

BadCat

Wow. All that because a few people who had the record to indicate that they were hot gold medal prospects were disappointed that they didn't do their best on the day.

The media are taking mometary disappointment from a couple of athletes and beating it up to be this massive failure. Posts like your first one are playing along with it.

For the most part I think our athletes have been brilliant. There have been disappointments and happy surprises, most of which have been handled well. And Australian athletes hardly have the monopoly on being disappointed with their result. Many are the silver medalists who have looked a bit sour at an unexpected loss.

Any athlete who believes they can win gold will be disappointed with silver, and any athlete who doubts they are genuine medal chance will be ecstatic with bronze.

And let's not forget that part of the prep for these athletes would be constant propping up of self-belief. Self-doubt is a massive enemy in competition. I doubt any but the most inexperienced among them are approaching their events with complacency, and I would wager that those who have done so and then not done their best will have learnt a valuable lesson.

I think bagging out of the team for not winning more gold is disgusting.

Soontobegran

It is absolutely natural for an athlete who is the world champion, the current title holder or has the fastest time in the lead up to the Olympics to be disappointed in themselves for not achieving what they expected from themselves.

I do not see this as being cocky, arrogant or whatever, it makes sense that if you know what you are capable of and others haven't been able to mirror this you will be somewhat shocked that someone has come forward and done a super time.

These athletes have devoted their lives to this, many live in virtual poverty, they need to be applauded instead of criticised.

I have seen nothing but lovely, polite and normal kids and young adults being interviewed, unfortunately they have to suffer the ignorance of the press who manage to rub salt into an already open wound time and time again.

The vast majority of these kids are a credit to themselves , their families and their country....leave them alone. :angry:

seayork2002

Simple just go on Twitter/ Facebook and you will find out, they all seem to be on it I hear.

PacificJade

This is why have austar. 8 channels and you get too chose what events you want to watch. Bliss....I definitely would be dissapointed if I relied solely on channel 9 coverage.

TinCat 🐈

Are we going to be watching the WHOLE marathon?? Are there no other events on?