Sign in to follow this  
JRA

Thank you channel 9

JRA

Instead of leaving the women's hockey with 1 1/2 minutes to go(or even less) they played the remainder of the hockey on the side of the screen when they went to the rowing final.

Pooks_

Facepalms.

I can't stand the coverage.

chickendrumstick

Definitely a new low for their coverage! It was a great game though! Or at least the parts we got to see...

Expelliarmus

I'm seriously confused. Do you think that one channel can possibly bring every single event all the time? I don't want to watch only the hockey if there are Aussies in heats and medals being raced.

If you want it different go get Foxtel. They've been saying for months they have 8 channels. It hasn't been brilliant coverage (according to everyone - I have no complaints) but I have noticed it change in the last couple of days.

silver-rain

We were just b**ching about this too - the hockey was so small that you couldn't read the time remaining then it just disappeared - I'm assuming we won 1 - 0 ? So bloody frustrating..... :(

JRA

I was very happy they did that.

It was the best option they had. We were favourites for the rowing, it was a final, there was less than one minute of a game left.Showing both for the two minutes was a great answer.

squirt081

I hate how 9 and gem both have the same bloody events on. WHY???? Just put a different event on gem then ppl will get to see more of the games.

Ruf~Feral~es
I'm seriously confused. Do you think that one channel can possibly bring every single event all the time? I don't want to watch only the hockey if there are Aussies in heats and medals being raced.

If you want it different go get Foxtel. They've been saying for months they have 8 channels. It hasn't been brilliant coverage (according to everyone - I have no complaints) but I have noticed it change in the last couple of days.

Not all of us can justify or afford Foxtel. Is this another part of the great divide between the "haves" and the "have nots"? Bad quality sports coverage? :D

I hate how 9 and gem both have the same bloody events on. WHY???? Just put a different event on gem then ppl will get to see more of the games.

Apparently it is because not all of us have access to digital tv, so they can't show stuff on the digital channels that can't be seen on the other.

Doesn't make sense to me. Show things once on one channel, and all the replays on another. Tell us what times things are going to be on, so we can plan accordingly. Even a quarter of what foxtel is providing would be nice.

We are also seeing a 3D trial channel and another 2D channel with nothing on at all. IF they would/could just use the stuff they have available..... I wish.

Pooks_

So they couldn't show 90seconds then change straight across with a 90sec delay?

Expelliarmus
Not all of us can justify or afford Foxtel. Is this another part of the great divide between the "haves" and the "have nots"? Bad quality sports coverage? :D

I can't afford or justify Foxtel either. I'm just not b**ching about it every minute of the bloody day. I can't change it so why waste the energy. So sick of the b**ching and moaning about the coverage.

Given what I am seeing this evening channel 9 have actually started showing a larger range of events - I'm watching team GB in some canoeing thing. I don't think there are any Aussies in the event, but even if there are now we're hearing about the Slovakians. I'd say they are taking on board the storm of criticism.

Me, I'm happy. I don't care about the coverage being apparently crap. None of the commentators even annoy me because I don't spend every day freaking glued to commercial television and wouldn't know Karl Stefanovic if I fell over him in the street, let alone know enough about him to be bothered by him. I don't understand the vitriol - there are other options if it's bothering you. If you can't afford or justify then deal with it.

Pooks_ Posted Today, 11:44 PM

They are trying to compete with social media and internet streaming, so no, they can't delay it. If they do that, they lose their audience. If channel 9 is going to delay medal races why would I bother to watch if I can get it live on the internet?

I'm glad you clarified too JRA, I thought you were legit as well and didn't know why everyone else was being sarcastic! (If you watched the quick wrap up you find out that we won the hockey - it's not like they left us hanging!)

jessie123

Cause then people would be whinging it wasn't live.

It must be hard trying to please so many people with one single channel.

From what I have heard despite all the complaints about our coverage the US is dreadful and they are not seeing much live at all.

Its been nice having foxtel this time around although I only really enjoy watching a few different sports.

Pooks_

I guess I don't know anyone that keen :D

I find myself sometimes getting intrigued by an unfamiliar sport, and feeling somewhat invested towards the end of it. I'm not b**ching every second of every day. I just want to be able to watch the last minute of it to see who won. Trivial, yes, I guess so. But a fairly basic tenant of sports coverage would be to allow people to properly watch the last moments of a competition they'd been screening, I thought.

Not really a b**ch. Not even a whinge... A... Mini whine. More a grr.

Expelliarmus

Well, I just saw the end of Italy beating Canada out of the Beach Volleyball ...

JRA

Pooks: but they did show the end. They then showed the score on the bottom of the screen.

Given there was a minute or so to go and it was clear there were no more goals, it also made it clear who won.

I can tell you I was on the edge of my seat screaming at the tv watching that list minute or so.

mumto4boys
They are trying to compete with social media and internet streaming, so no, they can't delay it. If they do that, they lose their audience. If channel 9 is going to delay medal races why would I bother to watch if I can get it live on the internet?

My bold.

Where are you finding this live streaming?

The International Olympic Committee has the rights to the Olympics locked up so tightly that it is hard to even get delayed video from many sites.

A few days ago I was wanting to watch video of Team Archery. I knew who won and could read about it but unless 9 had it on their website, then i couldn't view it.

The final was between USA and Korea so I went through their news sites and Olympic coverage. NBC in the USA had it all online but it couldn't be viewed outside the USA due to the TV rights there. Same for Korea. The Koreans could watch on their website but not anyone outside Korea.

Nine does have some videos posted on their website but pretty much only what they have already shown on TV. They could at least extend some of their coverage of other events on their website.

Ducky*Fuzz

It's crap. They should have played it on one of their other channels and put a message up on the screen that it would be shown on that channel!

Expelliarmus

I don't know where the streaming is. Someone else said they had some at some point in the last 6 days though. You can definitely get live scores/results though. For example I just checked facebook. there was one excited Kiwi on there about the rowing Gold. SO I was a bit *meh* when 9 finally showed the race.

They should have played it on one of their other channels and put a message up on the screen that it would be shown on that channel!

They can't. GEM has to show the same thing that 9HD is showing. The only exception is when 9 goes to the news, GEM keeps playing the Olympics.

JRA

i actually found the hockey streaming on www.oyetimes.com

MotherClucker
Well, I just saw the end of Italy beating Canada out of the Beach Volleyball ...

Yah, would of rather watched something else.

Edited by MotherClucker

Luxe

The first thing I thought when they did the Picture-in-Picture of the hockey was that I can see it 'just ok' on my 55" Samsung but how would anyone with a smaller screen - bit like my old 27" Sony - make out anything.

Sign in to follow this