The Old Feral
How in gods name is that racist. Do you even know the meaning of the word. You are a simpleton.

I gather the pp meant that the commentator's assumption that the (I presume black) African competitors would drown in an Olympic pool?

Judging someone as inferior based on their race/colour - how in gods name is that NOT racist?

(I didn't see the coverage, but the post made sense to me.)

Edited by The Old Bag

Glowworm80
14796741[/url]']

I gather the pp meant that the commentator's assumption that the (I presume black) African competitors would drown in an Olympic pool?

Judging someone as inferior based on their race/colour - how in gods name is that NOT racist?

(I didn't see the coverage, but the post made sense to me.)

Yes that's exactly right. The four swimmers in this heat were all black Africans. The commenter was making a very wide sweeping generalization that because they were black from a land locked country in Africa that they were more then likely not going to be able to swim never mind, finish the race.

Given that I lived 25 odd years in South Africa I have quite a good grasp of the word racism. Generally when you judge an entire race of people by a stereotype it's considered racism... Unless I am using a different dictionary to you?

la di dah

Google actually auto-filled "black people ca-" to "black people can't swim" for me just now.

It's a really old stereotype. I don't see how it's not racist. It's the sort of comment that would be par for the course from a radio shock jock that makes his money off being tacky and controversial and I would just be like "yeah good job that one's old as the hills" but from the actual professional newscast its beyond depressing. And no, I don't give him the credit to believe he just meant "impoverished landlocked country" and he would have said the same thing about Liechtenstein.

FeralRebelWClaws

I don't recall and Olympics where the feeling has been one of such disappointment. For gods sake, give them a break, let them compete, do their best, we can't ask more than that! Yet, the media does.

I don't think we are doing that much "worse" than previously, we just for some reason think we should be winning every gold and that isn't going to happen!

tibs

I think it is interesting that when the American swimmer (the superfish one) got touched out by a similar margin to get silver the spin on the story in the media here was all wow how good was that South African kid who managed to sneak in for the win, not tsk tsk the superfish choked.

jessie123
I think it is interesting that when the American swimmer (the superfish one) got touched out by a similar margin to get silver the spin on the story in the media here was all wow how good was that South African kid who managed to sneak in for the win, not tsk tsk the superfish choked.

A big difference being Magnusson talked himself up so much before these games. He has learnt a big lesson.

Green Door
A big difference being Magnusson talked himself up so much before these games. He has learnt a big lesson.

Of course Jamie talked himself up, he is the world record holder.

He will still be cocky .That's just who he is. He was a cocky teenage boy when we used to swim with him.

F.E.B.E

I have removed a post by Sardonik and a few that responded to it. Please use the report button (thanks to those that did) rather than replying to aggressive posts with more name calling. It will just mean that your post is removed too.

Squick

I'm in NZ, and while I don't want to make this an Aussie vs NZ thing, what you're all saying makes me really sad! DH and I were commenting last night about how our reporters and commentators are eternally positive. Even when it looks like we're not in for a chance, they're always banging on about the work we'll put in to catch up! Had me rolling my eyes at their optimism, turns out they were right with the rowing!

duran

I completely agree, Mrs BG.

I love how every medal is highly valued in NZ (of course, that's because we don't expect to win as many as the Aussies do!)

I bet that gold medal rowing race has been replayed hundreds of times on NZ television.

It's really sad when these athletes who work so hard are saying that they've "failed" for getting silver or bronze.

Sweet like a lemon
To be honest, I think this entire Olympic media campaign is FOS, not just that one reporter!!

I am sick to death of hearing reporters interviewing athletes who have won Silver talking in hushed tones and acting as if someone has passed away!! Not to mention the amount of crying thats being done by the athletes themselves :angry:

I don't remember the last Olympics being like this, or the Sydney Olympics so why all of a sudden have the media decided to turn the whole thing into a funeral-like atmosphere?

Any wonder I won't watch it anymore.

Oh this so much! It's pathetic.

missjones

I teach 11 year old children - many of whom swim competitively.

They look up to these swimmers as role models, and many have met them through their club.

In the past week I have had discussions with 11 year old girls about feeling ''fat'' in their bathers and having to lose weight.

Now the media is telling these children that you have ''failed'' if you fail to win gold - that first place is all that matters. So what, unless you're going to be in the top three, you should stay home? What a terrible message to be sending to children.

Many families I know are turning off the coverage in frustration at the promotion of horrid sportsmanship.

Soontobegran
No, he should not have said it and put a bad light on the silver medal. However when it comes down to the crunch, some athletes do choke out there.

Losing by the difference between clipping your nails and not isn't really choking :(

Australia sports can not keep churning out the gold medals unless there is money put into sport.

It is not a Government priority and it shows.

Personally I think for a country of our size with the pittance put into training our athletes, the fact we are within the top 20 out of over 300 countries is a damn fine performance.

daisydo
I completely agree, Mrs BG.

I love how every medal is highly valued in NZ (of course, that's because we don't expect to win as many as the Aussies do!)

I bet that gold medal rowing race has been replayed hundreds of times on NZ television.

It's really sad when these athletes who work so hard are saying that they've "failed" for getting silver or bronze.

My bold. NZ have 2 more gold than Aussies now. Pretty awesome for the kiwis!

I wonder how long before the media start saying it is the worst Olympics ever for Australia? Or something along those lines. Bit sad for our amazing athletes.

Sweet like a lemon
My bold. NZ have 2 more gold than Aussies now. Pretty awesome for the kiwis!

I wonder how long before the media start saying it is the worst Olympics ever for Australia? Or something along those lines. Bit sad for our amazing athletes.

Yeah, they have already started.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles...cs-in-20-years/

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8510180

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-03/aust...ection=olympics

And heaps more if you scour the local ragmags. Sad really. Everyone else hops up and down with glee at any medal, but the Aussie media are bent on commiserating the "loss" of gold and all those other miserable countries that "cost" us a golden win.

Worse is that we get to read more about Michael Phelps who is not even competing for us than we do about any other medal winner in any other sport but swimming. Pathetic.

missjoads1234

Im appalled by the media surrounding the Olympics, and some of the athletes attitude. Its putting me off wanting to watch.

Lees75
I'm in NZ, and while I don't want to make this an Aussie vs NZ thing, what you're all saying makes me really sad! DH and I were commenting last night about how our reporters and commentators are eternally positive. Even when it looks like we're not in for a chance, they're always banging on about the work we'll put in to catch up! Had me rolling my eyes at their optimism, turns out they were right with the rowing!

This is why I like James Brayshaw's commentary for the rowing. Every race I have seen where there is an Australian, he wil say something like "the Aussie team should be proud; they rowed well today" and when the Aussie female pair got silver, I thought he was going to burst, he sounded so excited.

Missy Shelby

Would I be right (please correct me if I am wrong :D ) but has this Olympics meet been the worst medal tally for OZ in a while...

Oh the humanity!!!!!...................

Edited by Missy Shelby

Expelliarmus
Would I be right (please correct me if I am wrong :D ) but has this Olympics meet been the worst medal tally for OZ in a while...

I'm sorry, at what point did you think it was a good idea to rub this point in with a cheesy grin on an Australian forum?

Back on topic - awesome job for Kiwi Gold! Well done New Zealand!

Edited by howdo

JRA
This is why I like James Brayshaw's commentary for the rowing. Every race I have seen where there is an Australian, he wil say something like "the Aussie team should be proud; they rowed well today" and when the Aussie female pair got silver, I thought he was going to burst, he sounded so excited.

Even when one lot of rowers were clearly "done" he was, they still can make it. The rowing positivity has been great.

becstarr79
Losing by the difference between clipping your nails and not isn't really choking :(

Australia sports can not keep churning out the gold medals unless there is money put into sport.

It is not a Government priority and it shows.

Personally I think for a country of our size with the pittance put into training our athletes, the fact we are within the top 20 out of over 300 countries is a damn fine performance.

Brilliantly said STBG

Starrydawn

Yes the rowing been pretty good. Always hopeful.

I like the track and field as generally no/low expectations of Australians. So can just get on with watching it. Though I am sure they will miss broadcasting half the heats and coverage if no Aussies in them.

~mimo~

You know, no matter where the athletes come, they still qualified for the Olympics. Which is a damn sight better than me, and most of the commentators.

Soontobegran

Are you an Olympic journalist Miss Shelby? ;)