FeralMinx

I admit I am too busy to be following the olympics at all this time round. But just caught a news story that p*ssed me right off! An aussie won silver in the pool today right? touched out by 1 100th of a second... and the reporter said something like 'he swam .4 of a second faster in qualifying for the olympics, and he is an example of how some people can't handle the pressure of the games'... that is not precisely what he said, but that was the takeaway message I got! And I thought - WTF is that reporter ON ABOUT? And WHAT AN a**hole!

Is it just me, or was that reporter FOS and extremely offensive for saying that about an athelete who just won silver, only missing gold by 1 100th of a second??

DEVOCEAN

No, he should not have said it and put a bad light on the silver medal. However when it comes down to the crunch, some athletes do choke out there.

Kay1

I watched that race and it was ridiculous that all the commentators were expressing disappointment at the result. Silver and only second by 1/100th of a second is AWESOME!

DM36

To be honest, I think this entire Olympic media campaign is FOS, not just that one reporter!!

I am sick to death of hearing reporters interviewing athletes who have won Silver talking in hushed tones and acting as if someone has passed away!! Not to mention the amount of crying thats being done by the athletes themselves :angry:

I don't remember the last Olympics being like this, or the Sydney Olympics so why all of a sudden have the media decided to turn the whole thing into a funeral-like atmosphere?

Any wonder I won't watch it anymore.

Edited by pinkplane

Libertine

I guess he was talking about James Magnusson. There is a lot more to the story - he has not done as well as expected and IS under enormous pressure. There has been a great deal of speculation about how the athletes are handling (or not handling) the pressure.

There is a context around this comment. No need to get your knickers in a twist ;)

FeralMinx
There is a context around this comment. No need to get your knickers in a twist
:lol: Knickers are usually twisted about some injustice or other. Its a lifestyle ;)

Libertine
:lol: Knickers are usually twisted about some injustice or other. Its a lifestyle ;)

LOL

Ruf~Feral~es
No, he should not have said it and put a bad light on the silver medal. However when it comes down to the crunch, some athletes do choke out there.

.01 of a second is not "choking".

I guess he was talking about James Magnusson. There is a lot more to the story - he has not done as well as expected and IS under enormous pressure. There has been a great deal of speculation about how the athletes are handling (or not handling) the pressure.

There is a context around this comment. No need to get your knickers in a twist ;)

The "more to the story" though, is about media pressure and absolutely crap reporting. The "darkest day in Australian swimming" stories, and "From now on, any sporting fail will be "doing a Magnussen" ". How they get away with this rubbish is beyone me.

And now the guy comes back out, and comes second by 0.01 sec, and they (and some here ) continue to say he "failed"? Makes me ashamed. And furious.

I wouldn't be encouraging any child of mine to try to succeed as an olympian, after the way our media and some of our community are carrying on.

wallofdodo

Sorry, but what is FOS?

BlueUnicorn

Actually the media has really turned me off watching the Olympics at all. It's all about ' how can we make the athlete cry' and drumming up drama from nothing or playing on and twisting the story.

The girl who came second in swimming the other day did an interview in which she was fine until they replayed her teary outburst to her over and got her mum in etc, just to get her teary in the interview again.

What a crock of sh*t.

Ruf~Feral~es
Sorry, but what is FOS?

Full of sh*t???? Well, that's how I read it. And it is.

Libertine
The "more to the story" though, is about media pressure and absolutely crap reporting. The "darkest day in Australian swimming" stories, and "From now on, any sporting fail will be "doing a Magnussen" ". How they get away with this rubbish is beyone me.

Oh I agree, thats what i meant really. The op said she hadnt been watching the coverage and i was just trying to put the contaxt around the reporters comment e.g. Its one comment of many in the same vein.

It's the usual story, the media have hyped the athletes up to such an extent that now unless they get gold it's a failure. They feed off the drama. Broke my heart watching Emily Seebohn when she got silver but was so upset and kept saying she'd let everyone down. Poor girl.

Green Door

James did great this morning:) we are so proud of him. The reporter was a real b**ch !

Glowworm80

I was a bit p*ssed at the male Foxtel (I think) swimming commentator who was commentating on the 100m mens freestyle heats who was saying the that the swimmers in the first heat ... especially the Tanzanian and guy from Burundi probably couldn't swim and might have to be pulled out the pool. And based on the 3min qualifying time shouldn't be allowed to even participate!! Wow racist much!!

Growing up in Africa and knowing what kind of these backgrounds these guys might come from, I think it's fantastic that they have made it to the Olympics and that it gives them and their countries something tO be proud of competing at this level. And for crying out loud it was 2 min at the most... Obviously this reporter had something better to do...a**hole!!

Tigerdog
However when it comes down to the crunch, some athletes do choke out there.

Of course they do, and no wonder with all the pressure put on them via bullsh*t like this from the media!!

Neeps
Sorry, but what is FOS?

Although sometimes on EB it can mean the devil's own convenience food - french onion soup.

Ducky*Fuzz

The reporter is ****.

Who cares about the qualifying time? He did a bloody awesome job and pretty much lost by a fingernail.

Awesome in my book.

suline

I used to belong to a "family swimming club" and I remember one night - (monday night time trials) one of the older girls got belted by her mother for coming in second under her last few swims. I can only imagine that kind of thing goes on at a physical or psychological level for many elite sportspeople.

I also object to Channel Nine calling their Olympic Coverage as "Olympic Gold" Its not ALL about Gold.

Does anyone remember the Ad-

You are my adversary, but you are not my enemy.

For your resistance gives me strength.

Your will gives me courage.

Your spirit ennobles me.

And though I aim to defeat you, should I succeed, I will not humiliate you.

Instead, I will honor you.

For without you, I am a lesser man.

There is a few people out there in the media and sporting world who would do well to remember this

BadCat

The media attitude this olympics is really giving me the irrits. Anyone who even quailfies for the olympics should be damn proud of themselves and to hell with where they place.

I'd really like James Magnusson to get into an interview and when they ask if he's disappointed with "only" coming second he should say "Second is still better than about 7 billion other people. I'm OK with that."

kristylee21

aussies.jpg[/img]

I think this says it all really about australian media

JRA
I was a bit p*ssed at the male Foxtel (I think) swimming commentator who was commentating on the 100m mens freestyle heats who was saying the that the swimmers in the first heat ... especially the Tanzanian and guy from Burundi probably couldn't swim and might have to be pulled out the pool. And based on the 3min qualifying time shouldn't be allowed to even participate!! Wow racist much!!

Growing up in Africa and knowing what kind of these backgrounds these guys might come from, I think it's fantastic that they have made it to the Olympics and that it gives them and their countries something tO be proud of competing at this level. And for crying out loud it was 2 min at the most... Obviously this reporter had something better to do...a**hole!!

I am missing something, why is that racist?

wallofdodo

But of course!!

Although sometimes on EB it can mean the devil's own convenience food - french onion soup.

Ha!

Guest Dinah_Harris

Look, I am no fan of the media. I think most mainstream journalism these days is mediocre and pathetic. But Magnusson did himself no favours by telling everyone he was "unbeatable". He also told his competitors to "get ready, I'm coming" or something like that.

He WAS unbeaten for eighteen months prior to the Olympics and I think his ego got away from him a bit. I think he's learned more about himself and the media in the last two days than his whole life. I think he did awesomely well to get silver and I'll bet he no longer thinks he's unbeatable.

Starrydawn
The media attitude this olympics is really giving me the irrits. Anyone who even quailfies for the olympics should be damn proud of themselves and to hell with where they place.

I'd really like James Magnusson to get into an interview and when they ask if he's disappointed with "only" coming second he should say "Second is still better than about 7 billion other people. I'm OK with that."

Yes I wish he would. I wish someone would. It's all about being shattered and what went wrong.

I do think Magnusson is now becoming his own worse enemy and is losing the mental aspect of the whole thing. I think the media help fuel the fire.

The whole thing has become sad. No one is happy about anything it seems.

la di dah
I am missing something, why is that racist?

Well, the nations the PP cited were Tanzania and Burundi, and I haven't looked up the athletes in question but there's a long-standing and unfortunately very well-known racial stereotype black people can't swim.

I think it was a vile comment and I'm sadly not shocked he made it but shocked he had the nerve to make it on air.