Sign in to follow this  
BeAwesome

Petty Olympic Rant

BeAwesome

This is ridiculously petty, but seriously, the font they chose for London 2012 is making me stabby.

It's so visually unappealing it's like Comic Sans mated with Papyrus.

Whatever design team came up with this monstrosity needs to be sent to the Tower of London.

blackcat20

Their logo isnt much better either....

Guest Dinah_Harris

Nor are the mascots, which are creepy....

ellebelle

I agree...and the purple uniforms the medal bearers are wearing are pretty ugly too!

Binna

The hockey field gives me a headache.

Glowworm80

I was thinking the same about the font yesterday! Millions spent on advertising and that was the best the marketing team could come up with?? Should have asked EB, we would have set them straight! :grin:

Expelliarmus

One of my students the other day thought the logo was a camel!

Kwyjibo

Due to the recession, innit.

They had to skimp somewhere.

Bluenomi

The logo looks like some 80s throw back and I'm completely over the whole pink and purple thing.

BadCat

The logo looks like Lisa Simpson performing oral sex. The colours are dreadful. And I agree the font is awful.

Overall it's not an aesthetically pleasing olympics. :lol:

N@K

I was just saying the same thing to DH the other day about the font.

And agree that logo is terrible, once I saw it as someone performing oral sex, I can never think of anything else when I see it! lol

PrincessPeach
The logo looks like Lisa Simpson performing oral sex. The colours are dreadful. And I agree the font is awful.

They were discussing this on Gruen Sweat last night...given i thought they were just a few bloobs, i never knew it was even supposed to say 2012.

dadwasathome

Entirely agree OP - the font is difficult to read and comically ugly. I find it very distractingly awful.

But luckily Bart and Lisa haven't impacted me so badly....

justnotfeelingit

I said the same thing to DH last night, its terrible. Plus I complained about the ugly purple podium... it just does nothing for me whatsoever but DH thought it was actually quite nice.... he is a Pom though....

Expelliarmus

I don't mind the podium ...

BlackBetty

The silver characters look like bottle openers!

Karen

ali27

agree with all that's been said... but especially the hockey field. It soils the eyes!

Lucrezia Bauble

Yep, agree the font is bad.

And I didn't like the uniform the poms came out in for opening night...? It was bad bling ....very chav.....

BeAwesome

I'm glad I'm not alone. I also found this excerpt from an upcoming book about fonts, calling it the worst font in the world.

The London 2012 Olympic Typeface, which is called 2012 Headline, may be even worse than the London 2012 Olympic Logo, but by the time it was released people were so tired of being outraged by the logo that the type almost passed by unnoticed. …

Like the logo, the uncool font is based on jaggedness and crudeness, not usually considered attributes where sport is concerned. Or maybe it’s an attempt to appear hip and down with the kids—it looks a little like the sort of tagging one might see in 1980s graffiti. It also has a vaguely Greek appearance, or at least the UK interpretation of Greek, the sort of lettering you will find at London kebab shops and restaurants called Dionysus. The slant to the letters is suddenly interrupted by a very round and upright o, which may be trying to be an Olympic Ring. The font does have a few things going for it: it is instantly identifiable, it is not easily forgettable, and because we’ll be seeing so much of it, it may eventually cease to offend. Let’s hope they keep it off the medals.

Mindful

Agree with the font 100% haha but I am glad you included pretty in the title ;p

InsertAwesomeHere

LMFAO that's all i see now

Tigerdog

I agree, what about the Aussie's uniforms, with the names printed on the inside of the jacket? (shudder) - tacky or what?!

Edited by Tigerdog

BadCat
I agree, what about the Aussie's uniforms, with the names printed on the inside of the jacket? (shudder) - tacky or what?!

Nowhere near as ugly as those gold armpit stains the Brits were sporting. I thought the Brit outfits were really clumsily done symbolism. "Look! We have GOLD around our necks. We even sweat gold, look at our armpits." Of course that could just be my imagination and they just thought all that tacky gold looked pretty.

wilding

Hopefully the one in charge of the font wasn't the one also in charge of the keys :rofl:

Luxe

It's not a great font. It needs to die a good death along with Comic Sans. I was going to include Papyrus as well but how else are high schoolers meant to present their Egyptian projects.

Sign in to follow this