Sign in to follow this  
Colleer

Badminton players banned

matt1972

Why shouldn't team A do whatever is within the rules to try and play a weaker team in the knockout rounds? If the sport set it up to make that possible by having a round robin event then it is the administrators who are to blame.

Perhaps if the players had used a little more guile in their efforts, and there weren't 2 opposing teams both hopelessly trying to lose, then nobody would be the wiser.

matt1972
You're deliberatey looking at it from one angle. It makes you look silly.

When you consider all the facts then yes, of course they were cheating.

lol how many angles are you looking at it from?

What they did was dishonourable, it wasn't in the spirit of the event but it certainly wasn't cheating.

To compare someone who manipulates a system set up by the sports administrators and ratified by the Olympic administrators to people who "cheat" is the only silly thing here.

They haven't been kicked out of the Olympics for cheating they have been kicked out for highlighting the errors of the administrators and embarrassing them on a global stage.

Edited by matt1972

SarDonik
They haven't been kicked out of the Olympics for cheating they have been kicked out for highlighting the errors of the administrators and embarrassing them on a global stage.

They haven't cheated, but they have not played in the spirit of the game or the Olympic spirit. There are plenty of examples in world sport where teams could have tanked, but haven't. Soccer, rugby, hockey etc all have round robins, so top of pool a plays 2nd pool b. Sometimes the top teams finish second, so it's desirable for the teams in the other pool not to finish top. However I don't recall ever hearing of this happening, at least not in the last 20 years. The badminton players were right to be kicked out, they showed poor sportsmanship.

Liv_DrSperm_sh

Sorry Matt...struggling with your logic here. Since when has deliberately throwing a game NOT been considered against the rules of sport and therefore cheating??

DEVOCEAN

No.

Eight women badminton players have been disqualified from the London Olympics for not trying their hardest to win.

The women from China, Indonesia and South Korea had been charged with "throwing" group stage contests to secure an easier draw through the Olympic tournament.

The eight were charged by the Badminton World Federation for "not using one's best efforts to win a match" and have been disqualified following a disciplinary hearing.

They are there to win, and this little charade will probably just cause the Olympics Committee to limit the number of teams from each country allowed to enter in future games.

matt1972
They haven't cheated, but they have not played in the spirit of the game or the Olympic spirit. There are plenty of examples in world sport where teams could have tanked, but haven't. Soccer, rugby, hockey etc all have round robins, so top of pool a plays 2nd pool b. Sometimes the top teams finish second, so it's desirable for the teams in the other pool not to finish top. However I don't recall ever hearing of this happening, at least not in the last 20 years. The badminton players were right to be kicked out, they showed poor sportsmanship.

Badminton is not the only sport where competitors did not play to win here. On Wednesday, the coach of the Japanese women’s soccer team said he had his team play for a 0-0 tie with South Africa on Tuesday to avoid having to travel to Scotland for the quarterfinals. The outcome left Japan second in Group F, meaning it will now play either Britain or Brazil in Cardiff on Friday. If it had won the match, it would have faced the top-ranked United States or France, another strong team, in Glasgow, also on Friday.

Japan coach Norio Sasaki used substitutes in the second half and told them to keep possession and not score, based on how the other match in Group F was going. In that match, Canada drew 2-2 with Sweden, meaning Sweden topped the group. “It was a different way of playing compared to the usual game, but the players were on the same page as me,” he said.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-news/20...ned-from-games/

matt1972
No.

They are there to win, and this little charade will probably just cause the Olympics Committee to limit the number of teams from each country allowed to enter in future games.

You edited out this part of the quote

The federation found the players guilty of “not using one’s best efforts to win a match” and “conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport” in matches Tuesday night.

I guess I could accuse you of cheating in order to further your argument ;)

DEVOCEAN

In that case matt, as much as I love soccer and love watching Japan play I would say they should be disqualified as well.

SarDonik
Badminton is not the only sport where competitors did not play to win here. On Wednesday, the coach of the Japanese women’s soccer team said he had his team play for a 0-0 tie with South Africa on Tuesday to avoid having to travel to Scotland for the quarterfinals. The outcome left Japan second in Group F, meaning it will now play either Britain or Brazil in Cardiff on Friday. If it had won the match, it would have faced the top-ranked United States or France, another strong team, in Glasgow, also on Friday.

Japan coach Norio Sasaki used substitutes in the second half and told them to keep possession and not score, based on how the other match in Group F was going. In that match, Canada drew 2-2 with Sweden, meaning Sweden topped the group. “It was a different way of playing compared to the usual game, but the players were on the same page as me,” he said.

Well it probably does happen more often than I thought, but still does not make it acceptable. It's much easier to disguise it in a team sport like soccer. They were blatant, probably the worst example of it at the top level, especially in a sport when it's pretty hard to hide the fact that you're tanking.

Edited by SarDonik

matt1972

Seems it is contagious

VICTORIOUS Great Britain team sprint cyclist Philip Hindes has admitted he deliberately crashed in qualifying to secure a restart.

The French, who later lost the gold medal race to the British, also said they knew Hindes' mishap just after the start was not accidental.

But the astonishing admission will not affect Great Britain's gold medal, which they achieved with two successive world record rides.

Hindes, the British lead-off rider, went down only metres after leaving the start gate in their qualifying run.

They restarted, as was allowed under competition rules, and qualified fastest in 43.065 seconds.

Great Britain then set a world record of 42.747 in the first round and reduced it further to 42.600 when they beat France for the gold medal.

Speaking after they had won the event, Hindes told reporters: "We were saying if we have a bad start we need to crash to get a restart.

"I just crashed, I did it on purpose to get a restart, just to have the fastest ride.

"I did it. So it was all planned, really."

Hindes, 19, is a German-born rider who joined the British system two years ago.

He made the original comments trackside, but his story had changed by the time he fronted the formal post-event media conference.

I wonder what Lord Coe will have to say about this.

HRH Countrymel
As a spectator you would be furious. They were just hitting out and into the net.

A friend of mine is working there - the crowd WERE furious! HE was furious....

Pull Up A Beanbag

Whatever happened to the Olympic oath?

In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams.

duran

Disgraceful, I agree.

About as disgraceful as bowling an underarm ball to win a cricket match, I reckon ;)

Feral Grey Mare

Who would have thought the first big scandal of the Olympics would be about Badminton?

Therin

Why did the british cycling team get to keep their medals, after admitting they tried for a restart, but the badminton people were tossed?

*confused* :huh:

matt1972
14798654[/url]']

Why did the british cycling team get to keep their medals, after admitting they tried for a restart, but the badminton people were tossed?

*confused* :huh:

The badminton players weren't from the host nation and the cyclists were.

tibs

I'm still not convinced it is cheating to act within the rules to optimise your performance. To me cheating is breaking the rules (that South African swimmer who apparently did 3 kicks underwater :o when the rules only let you do 1 kick for example).

matt1972

I agree tibs. Unless the rules specifically state that a tactic is illegal then it is simply a tactic.

The road cycling event is a great example where riders don't try to win the race. There were 5 British riders and of those 5 there was only 1 trying to win the event even though it was an individual event and not a team one. Nobody batted an eyelid at that, the Brits went so far as to condemn the Aussies for not helping them get the British rider to the finish line????

Maybe manipulating a result by not trying your hardest is ok for some and not for others?

Ianthe

Am I the only person that is really excited that there was a Badminton scandal?

whitelights
Surely trying to manipulate the draw to give yourself a better chance of winning is doing your best? The officials stuffed up not the athletes.

I think this is a very fair point. By jockeying to play a weaker team, they were giving themselves the best possible chance to win, which again, is the point of the Olympics.

I can absolutely understand the frustration of the crowd who paid good money to go and see the matches and as unpopular an opinion as it may be, I can understand the athlete's motivation. The point of the Olympics is to win medals for your country. If by tanking the match, they avoid playing their teammates, thus meaning they won't knock them out of the competition and meaning both teams could go further, they could make the argument that they were doing what was best for the country they represent. Some countries have a 'win whatever the cost' mentality and the athletes grow up in that culture so it becomes embedded in them, and it would not be at all surprised if they were following directions given to them by team officials or coaches.

Not saying whether it is right or wrong, rather that I understand their motivation and can also understand they may have been instructed to do what they did.

canuckmel

I can understand where they were coming from.

If I'd already qualified, I'd want to try and get a weaker opponent in the medal round too.

Expelliarmus

I am sure there are all sorts of tactics to employ. I think the badminton players were just really bad at it. I mean whenever else it has happened no one's been any the wiser unless someone says it. But I watched that video and it was far too obvious and not done in any sort of tactical way - just flat out refusal to go for a shot.

They just made it too obvious IMO.

matt1972

So I guess the badminton players were exposed and penalised because they don't cheat as well as cyclists and soccer players.

Sign in to follow this