Sign in to follow this  
Colleer

Badminton players banned

Colleer

So they just announced that 8 badminton players have been banned due to their totally obvious attempts to throw the games in order to manipulate what team they will play further on in the competition .

Did anyone see the footage of the games that were thrown? I would have been downright dirty if I had paid to go and watch those games!

PixieVee

Yes, I saw parts of the matches and I am SO glad to see them banned. What an absolute joke they are.

Let-it-go

I just saw it on the breaking news. Bizarre, i didnt really understand why they we doing it but it was pathetic. As a spectator you would be furious. They were just hitting out and into the net.

chickendrumstick

I believe the reasoning was that if the Koreans won they would have to face another Korean team, which they obviously didn't want to do as it would limit the number of medals their country could win. So they tried to throw the match but the Chinese cottoned on and tried to lose as well. Both teams had already qualified for the next round.

I'm very glad they were banned, they really weren't setting a very good example on such a large stage. The Olympic motto isn't 'slower, lower, weaker'.

purplekitty

It was the other way around, the Chinese were trying to throw the match.

tibs

While I'm not condoning them throwing their matches I think it was poor that the organisers had such a terrible method of arranging matches that competitors had an incentive to do that. In swimming all the advantages go to the fastest qualifiers e.g best lanes in the final so it induces good performance even in the heats, I think the Badminton organisers need to rethink the perverse signals they are sending with their system.

Cluckster
I just saw it on the breaking news. Bizarre, i didnt really understand why they we doing it but it was pathetic. As a spectator you would be furious. They were just hitting out and into the net.

The spectators weren't fooled. There were boos all 'round.

I feel for the players who would've been guided, to a point, by their coaches.

chickendrumstick
It was the other way around, the Chinese were trying to throw the match.

Thanks for the clarification, too much multitasking happening in my house tonight!

While I'm not condoning them throwing their matches I think it was poor that the organisers had such a terrible method of arranging matches that competitors had an incentive to do that. In swimming all the advantages go to the fastest qualifiers e.g best lanes in the final so it induces good performance even in the heats, I think the Badminton organisers need to rethink the perverse signals they are sending with their system.

I know this is the first time they have used this round robin system and it was flagged as a potential problem. No doubt it will be fixed before 2016.

MummaDiva

They have just changed the rules for the matches leading in to the top eight. It used to be a knock-out style comp, but is now a round robin, where points determine who you go on to play in the top eight.

There are two Chinese teams. One is sitting at the top of the league tables and is the strongest team at the Olympics.

The other Chinese team would have been playing them in the first round of the knockout matches - which would have ensured that only one Chinese team won a medal. They tried to throw the match so that they wouldn't have to meet their counterparts until the final. The Koreans are considerably weaker and lower ranked, and assumed that they would have been slaughtered if they went on to play the other Chinese team, so they tried to throw the *same* match so that they would go into the other pool. The other match was the same - Koreans and Indonesians if my memory serves me correctly.

The games were a farce. After the appalling first match, the crowd was getting restless, booing and jeering. The second match was in much the same vein - the onsite ref got p!ssed and marched down with a black card. This is like a red card, and is the worst thing that can befall a badmintonner. The two teams gave a half-hearted attempt to actually hit the c*ck, but it just got worse. The red card was withdrawn after appeal by the teams (how it got upheld is a mystery to me).

The International Badminton Fed met afterwards to discuss the issue (which had been brought up by ex-players as likely to happen) - and the IOC was on them like a tonne of bricks, as throwing matches is totally against Olympic spirit. Soooo, the teams have been banned.

Good.

Edited by MummaDiva

**Xena**

Yeah they weren't fooling anyone. I read in quite a few places that they were obviously throwing the match. How disappointing. They would have been far better off playing the stronger team and being able to walk out head held high win or lose than have to leave the games in shame.

tibs

Is it customary to have 2 teams from the one country in the same event? I get that in individual events you qualify on your own merits but not sure how team sports work. Because even though as a PP said this behaviour was probably strongly encouraged by their coach, team officials etc China with their other team is still in the running for the gold medal :unsure:

baddmammajamma

I was going to quote the posts I agreed with, but that would mean that I would pretty much have to quote everyone!

In short:

* What a bungle that the International Badminton Fed didn't address the issues around the round robin style BEFORE the Olympics

* How awful if coaches/national sporting federations foster a culture in which athletes feel compelled to act dishonorably solely to maximize medal count

* It's shameful that these athletes deliberately threw their games -- I'm with Xena -- better that they should have lost with dignity in the next round!

* I'm glad that the IOC came down hard on them

pili-pala

So I take it another 4 teams will replace them? Apparently it was the Aussies that put in the official complaint

CallMeFeral

This. If the system is so bizarre that this behaviour gets around it, then you can't be blaming the players for not going all out - it's the system that's stuffed.

Expelliarmus

So confused ... I know you've explained it, but can anyone actually tell me who they are and what they were trying to do?

DEVOCEAN

Sorry, but there is no excuse for it. They did the wrong thing, they got punished. I really don't buy into the 'rules that were changed made them do it' excuse. Any decent athlete would have just gone out there and done their best.

matt1972
Sorry, but there is no excuse for it. They did the wrong thing, they got punished. I really don't buy into the 'rules that were changed made them do it' excuse. Any decent athlete would have just gone out there and done their best.

Surely trying to manipulate the draw to give yourself a better chance of winning is doing your best? The officials stuffed up not the athletes.

There is some video at the bottom of this page.

http://www.businessinsider.com/eight-badmi...olympics-2012-8

As an earlier PP said 2 teams in the 1 match were trying to lose which probably gave the tactic away.

amaza
Surely trying to manipulate the draw to give yourself a better chance of winning is doing your best?

No, that's just cheating. The best chance they had of winning was to win THAT game against whatever team decided to try to tank first.

I'm so glad the IOC threw them out of the comp. What they did was disgraceful.

Australia put in the official complaint and they are now back in. Could you imagine what you would do if you were an athlete at the games and thought your Olympic chances were over? I imagine I'd be watching other Australians, relaxing, with drink in hand. To then be told that I'm actually playing again would be very unsettling (and probably not great since I've partied for a day or two ;)).

I'm not sure how they went but good luck to the teams that are replacing the cheats!

Liv_DrSperm_sh

Yeah, I saw parts of it, bloody ridiculous!

They weren't even making a vague show of playing. Idiots, they definitely deserved to get disqualified!

Liv_DrSperm_sh
14794096[/url]']

Surely trying to manipulate the draw to give yourself a better chance of winning is doing your best? The officials stuffed up not the athletes.

No it is just cheating! The draw is part of the game!

Colleer

I just watched the footage that Matt1972 posted, and I am starting to think I am getting too caught up in the games :laugh: I would be ropeable if I was that umpire who spoke to them!

Though I have to agree with the pp who said that it would be mostly the coaches etc who would have fostered this kind of attitude.

MrsLexiK

That really is one way of looking at it.

Really having two teams from the same country playing against each other in a knock out round - now that is pretty stupid.

matt1972
No it is just cheating! The draw is part of the game!

Losing is cheating?

Geez

DEVOCEAN
Losing is cheating?

Geez

The way the were doing it, yes.

Why shouldn't 2 teams from the same country play a knockout game against each other?

PixieVee
Losing is cheating?

Geez

You're deliberatey looking at it from one angle. It makes you look silly.

When you consider all the facts then yes, of course they were cheating.

Sign in to follow this