Guest EBmel

Olympics poll

Olympics poll  

159 members have voted

1. 1. How much of the Olympics have you been watching as a family?

• Every night
    • Only occasionally
    • We don't watch the Olympics

Guest EBmel

Hi all,

We have a quick question for you - we'd like to know how much of the Olympics you're watching as a family.

Please vote in the poll below - and feel free to post any comments here too! What kind of things do you talk about with your kids while you're watching the sports? Is it making them interested in playing sports themselves?

Have your say!

Ta :)

barrington

I had every intention of sitting down every night and watching the Olympics. However the pathetic Channel 9 coverage has quashed any hopes I had of discussing the variety of sports that Olympians compete in and what countries the competitors come from.

As a family we enjoyed the opening ceremony and had our globe out as the countries walked past. But since then, there are swimming replays on every time I attempt to watch Channel 9.

**Xena**

Since I discovered some great online streaming sites that actully cover more than just swimming I have started watching the Olympics.

When my only option was Channel 9 and its pathetic coverage it was never!

pili-pala

I am suffering through Channel 9 broadcast, DH has given up and is now watching movies, and if DD is up, I am teaching her about racing and cheering for teams. She has a lot of questions like - why are they in the water mummy. what are they doing....

HRH Countrymel

I wanted to, I was looking forward to them, but as the PPs said the coverage by channel 9 is so atrocious I can't bear it.

F.E.B.E

Bump! We are watching a little bit in the mornings and evenings together and then more after the kids are in bed. Also disappointed in Nine's coverage.

SnazzyFeral

We don't have a TV, if we did I am sure we would.

Kristina13

Am really impressed by the fantastic coverage on Foxtel - we have had the basic package with Foxtel for years and didn't expect to have much access to the extra sports channels. However we have been pleasantly surprised by the 8 channels offering a wide range of sports with top notch commentary. Loved the equestrian events with Lucinda Green, the cycling, rowing, weight lifting, swimming, gymnastics, diving etc etc have all been great :) also loved seeing some of the lesser known sports like the canoe slalom, water polo, handball and badminton. Really happy I don't have to go anywhere near channel 9..........

Ruf~Feral~es

I think you need a second part to that question.

Would your response be different if the Channel 9 Coverage actually covered the competitions, and not just snippets of Australians?

Mine would. We would be watching every night, if you could get a sense of the competition between countries. Not just the 5 minutes of people in an Australian uniform.

I'm not watching any of it but my 11yo daughter has to watch one event a night & then write about it for school homework.

SO does my DD. It has been hard to find a full event for her to watch. They jump around so much.

Phoenix Blue

We have foxtel and the foxtel app on the iPad. Best coverage ever. I love being able to watch the swimming finals at the 5am feed without getting out of bed!

maxim
We have foxtel and the foxtel app on the iPad. Best coverage ever. I love being able to watch the swimming finals at the 5am feed without getting out of bed!

I do that too! Have been waking up every morning 3am to watch the coverage on ipad. The gymnastics were awesome. :)

Amica

I'm sticking to the news highlights only as of today because that's all you get to see in the coverage anyway... over and over and over and over again. I am so sick of watching swimming heats too, pathetic.

erypmaV
I had every intention of sitting down every night and watching the Olympics. However the pathetic Channel 9 coverage has quashed any hopes I had of discussing the variety of sports that Olympians compete in and what countries the competitors come from.

This sums up our house as well. Channel 9 coverage is useless.

Feral Grey Mare

OK all you Foxtel people, stop rubbing it in!

Squeekums The Elf

The only time we watching is when there is nothing else on and i cbf deciding on a dvd.

F.E.B.E

Bump! We would really love some more answers in our poll, as part of a larger story we are looking in to around Olympics and the take up of sport in society.

Milly Molly Mandy

Love the Olympics!!!! Having fun watching the rowing with DS right now.

Fifteenyears

My son is enjoying it so much. This will probably be the first Olympics he remembers.

The time difficulty makes it tricky, but he gets to watch a little bit in the morning before school and a little bit before bed - a rarity here as weekday TV doesn't usually happen for the kids.

I'm sure channel 9's coverage has improved over the past 48 hours. The swimming ending has helped, but perhaps they'v heard some of the griping?

**Tiger*Filly**

---

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer

Soontobegran

Yes, on most of the day when home with me flicking through the 8 channels watching what takes my interest. I love the fact that you get a warning on your screen if there is an Aussie competing in something that is on another channel.

Channel 9 is barely on.

ampersand

Every night, but not on Ch9 and never, ever again on 9. We bought the Foxtel coverage because 9's was so appalling and have vowed to watch not one minute of any of the shows they promoted during the endless ad breaks.

If you have a Samsung Smart TV or an Xbox you can buy a one off Internet tv package from Foxtel which gives you all the Olympics coverage without having to become a subscriber.

ImperatorFuriosa

We have foxtel. I haven't watched the olympics one bit. I will be at the closing ceremony with bells on.

bailee

My son has really got into the Olympics so we have watched it everyday (except the opening ceremony. Yawn!). The Channel 9 coverage is really crap, but as I refuse to pay for tv we have no other option. We dont normally watch anything on channel 9, only made this exception cause we wanted to see the limited coverage they are showing.

Roobear

We have been watching the foxtel coverage and really enjoying it. If we didn't have foxtel we wouldn't watch it though as channel 9's coverage is pretty crappy.

Luxe

I'm watching it daily at the moment even thought it's channel 9 but that's because I'm on holidays at the moment. I skipped a few days because of the swimming repeats.

I only come out to play for big events.. Olympics, AFL grand final (maybe) and the Soccer World cup.

None of it makes me want to go join a team sport. I might feel slightly more into fitness but it's kind of fleeting.

I already did my 6+ years of hockey back in the day. In fact Rick Charlesworth use to coach the opposition team back in my day.

It does make me have body envy. I need to get back to the gym and firm up.