My4Sunshines

What can I do with sausages?

My4Sunshines

I just bought 2kg, we usually partially cook them then cut them into chunks and cook them with a sauce.

The only other way I can think of is curried sausages but want something different.

How do you like to eat them?

ttc3

Sometimes when we have left over sausages from a meal I split them long ways, put them in shallow baking dish, cover with salsa/sauce or what ever, top with cheese and bake.

I have also used the Mc cormacks slow cooker - tomato and onion - base and it was quite nice.

Or 'Toad in the Hole' if you like that sort of thing.

Apple*Green

Crumbed sausages with gravy

Sausage casserole

Battered sausages

Df likes this - sausages with spaghetti

Therin

I'm a traditionalist, burnt under the grill with lots of onions, sauce and in bread. Why is there no drool icon? Or with chips and egg though that's not a hugely healthy view. Standard meat and three veg meals...

Sausage stew? Lots of gravy, potatoes, onions, peas, corn, carrots and vegies all done in a pressure cooker or huge pot - wow, perfect winter food.

happi_losti

dice, roughly cook in pan with diced onion and make mini quiches. all u need is some puff pastry (for base) and a egg and milk mix and top with some shredded cheese, and into the oven.

Edited by happi_losti

HRH Countrymel

Tonight we will be having: bratwurst sausages, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, sauerkraut, peas and mushroom and red wine gravy.

That's how I like my sausages!

Al2741

Sausage Casarole or Devilled Sausages... a couple of our household winter favorites... YUMMO!!

missgeorgina

Yesterday I made herbed sausage rolls for DD.

Squeeze out the meat from the casing, add some herbs and wrap in puff pastry.

71Cath

Just want to say... I :wub: sausages!

Pity DH doesn't like them much :cry:

HRH Countrymel
Just want to say... I :wub: sausages!

Pity DH doesn't like them much :cry:

I refused to eat sausages for more than 20 years - then I was in Germany and couldn't not (considering some of the things I had eaten in other countries to 'experience the culture') - I learned that a good quality sausage is not something to fear.

I love them now - but only really good ones from a specialty (preferably german/Austrian) butcher.

See if you can lure him into the fold that way 71Cath?

My4Sunshines

Oh I'm liking the crumbed sausage & gravy :wub: (will be doing that one) and loving the sausage carbonara sadly I cant have dairy or eggs while I'm feeding ds so will have to put that on the back burner for another few months. Can I just google that Jamie Oliver recipe??

May give that slow cooker one a go as well

Loving all the ideas, keep them coming please :D

RichardParker

Heat a tray in a 200 degree oven with a bit of oil in the bottom. Pop a sliced onion and 2 crushed garlic cloves in and let them cook for about 5 minutes.

Brown 6 or so sausages in a frypan. Once they're nice and golden, put them in the oven tray, and add some thyme sprigs, 400gm of cherry tomatoes (2 punnets or so), and two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Bake it all in the oven for about 25 minutes.

Serve with mash potato and parmesan cheese.

MuppetGirl

My DH has to yummiest sausage curry recipe! It's a sweeter curry, not spicy.

I also make stuffed sausages. I cook the sausages, then butterfly them. I make mashed potato and once it is mashed mix in some cooked peas and corn.

Stuff that mixture into the butterflied sausages, sprinkle with a little cheese and then cook under the grill until golden brown.

The kids love it :)

Pinkk_Sprinkkles

In a baking dish put equal parts of Tomato Sauce, BBQ Sauce, Water and (I know i'm going to spell this wrong...) Worcestershire Sauce. Mix them up then add your sausages in a single layer.

Cover and bake for an hour.

It's great with Mash and steamed vege.

BTW: I ususally do about 1/3 or 1/2 a cup of each sauce.

Catolyn
Yesterday I made herbed sausage rolls for DD.

Squeeze out the meat from the casing, add some herbs and wrap in puff pastry.

Ooh I'm going to do this next time I see one of those bulk packs going for cheap, that sounds delish.

JaneMummy

Sausage rolls? Put some pastry around them and bake.

Home made hot dogs.

More than a Mother

Toad in the hole with onion gravy. Yum.

Or cooked with a sauce made with creme fraiche, some wholegrain mustard, a little balsamic vinegar and a teaspoon of brown sugar. Serve with pasta.

Edited by ssorrrento

lilmurfs

Toad in the Hole

mmmmmm yum!!

I dont use rosemary or salt for mine though...

ETA - ssorrrento you beat me to it!! lol

Edited by lilmurfs

*LiMa*

Sometimes when I have leftover sausages I dice them up and put them into a potato bake (or Potato, Sweet potato and pumpkin bake)

mildred76

feed them to the dog.. :ph34r: blurgh I really hate sausages for some reason.

Freckles
Like some of the others that have posted I am not a sausage fan. I would rather have them in something than plain. Here we are a fan of toad in the hole (we use the recipe that lilmurfs posted, also minus the salt and rosemary) and also devilled sausages. We use the Masterfoods meal base for that. Another one that is popular here is what we call easy sausage pie. I've heard others call it impossible pie. If you are off eggs and dairy though the pie and the TITH will be off limits. Still, the devilled sausages are pretty good and I'm liking the idea of the sausage rolls! :)

My4Sunshines

drunkenmonkey I'm definitely cooking that! Souns, and looks, delish

Love your sig btw :happy:

CanberraCath

Line baking tray with baking paper, then with slices of bread. Add to baking tray , sausages, bacon rashers, quartered tomatoes, onions, olives (optional) some rosemary and some thinly sliced potatoes. Bake for 30 minutes or til everything is mooshy and soft. Remove from oven, make four or six little hollows in the mix, crack an egg into each one, and return to oven to cook the eggs to your liking (I like hard, DH likes soft and gooey). Sprinkle with salt adn pepper or cheese if you like and share round the table. Doesn't look pretty but tastes great. One pan hot brekkie or sunday night dinner!