Sign in to follow this  
Indi

Anyone in the UAE, especially RAK?

Indi

We're looking at taking up an offer to move there for 2 years. Does anyone live there? What's it like? Schooling etc.

Any information would be really helpful.

TIA

Emerald

Dh is currently living in the UAE ( Dubai). Try this website

http://www.dubizzle.com

Apparenlty the public school system is not that good, so you'd have to go to the private ones that are really expeinsive, so it's good to have a housing./schooling allowance in the job offer.

I don't know a whole lot, but i can ask DH any questions if you like.

Just PM me

jdlady51

I lived in Dubai for 6 years, and loved it. Saying that I haven't been back in about 5, and I've heard its changed a LOT!

Schooling, like the PP said, is very expensive since you have to go private. Most contracts will pay for most/all school fees, make sure this is included. As far as I'm aware there is no Australian school in Dubai, so you would probably need to choose whether to follow the US or UK curriculum. Not sure on the age of your kids, but in general the education is very high quality. Be careful with English Speaking Schools vs schools that follow the US/UK curriculum. English speaking schools are often cheaper, however follow either the local, or asian curriculums which don't tend to be as good as the US/UK's

Housing, again expensive. This is normally included in contracts again - I'm not sure on the cost of places these days, so check into it and make sure you get a good chunk of it covered by your employer.

Depending on the age of your kids I would suggest perhaps living in Dubai and having your DH commuting. Its about an hour or so away depending on where you live in Dubai, but the quality of life would be much better. It is much more westernized, and your kids would appreciate living close to their friends etc...

Another common thing to have in your contract is flights. Many companies offer 1 return flight a year for the whole family back home. During their Summer (June-Sept) the UAE becomes a ghost town as it is just too hot. Pretty much all women and children go back "home" for a few months, so having the cost of these flights covered is always appreciated!

Feel free to PM any other questions, as I'm not very good at checking back on posts! As I said, its been 5 years since I've been there, but I'm happy to help as much as I can :)