Sign in to follow this  
bubbaandme

Small breasts at 38weeks - does this mean no milk?

bubbaandme
I hope this inst a stupid question.... blush.gif

Im 38 weeks pregnant and my breasts have actually shrunk in the past 10 weeks. They seem very small and there is no colustrum. All my friends breasts leaked at the end of their pregnancy. Does this mean I may have no milk, or will the milk just come in after bub is born? How does the body know when to start producing milk?

This seems like a silly question that I should know the answer to and im too embarrased to ask my OB....

Regards,
Mel

fliss1974
I have discovered there is no such thing as a silly question when you are pregnant!! biggrin.gif When I had my DH my breasts didn't leak at all until after he was born, and then the milk came in floods! I have had a few girlfriends that have had really small breasts and have had loads of success with b/fing so I wouldn't worry too much about it yet! Good luck, not long to go now!! biggrin.gif

Heather11
I haven't had any colostrum or leaking prior to giving birth to either of my two and believe me when my milk came in I had plenty of it.

Breast size has nothing to do with whether you can produce milk or not.

I'm sure hormones released after or during labour will let your body when to produce milk.

By the way it's not a silly question and I am sure your OB has heard much worse.

CrispyEm
Don't waste a second worrying about it. I was a 10B before our twins were born. They're 9 months old now and still breastfeeding- size ain't everything! wink.gif

Your breasts might seem smaller, but they're well and truly prepared for the job ahead. The removal of the placenta triggers lots of hormonal changes, which in turn causes the milk to "come in" (and boy, will you get a surprise when that happens! blink.gif ). Don't worry, no leaking doesn't mean anything.

Have you joined the ABA yet? It's worth every cent if you're planning on breastfeeding. happy.gif

All the best.