Sign in to follow this  
jo1172

Cooking meat for Babies?

jo1172

How do you cook meat for your babies. My DS is almost 8 months old. So far he has only had chicken breast which I boiled in a bit of water then pureed in the food processor (well, it was more like bread crumbs). I've got a roast in the slow cooker at the moment and was wondering if I could give him some. I've seasoned it with some herbs. What do you think?

What about fish? Do you used canned or buy from the fish department in the supermarket?

It was so much easier when he only drank breast milk :lol:

Jo

~*Lou*~

Yeah I agree about how much easier it was when they only had breastmilk!

These 3 recipes are from the Womens’s Weekly Fresh Food for Babies and Toddlers book, in the 6-8 month section.

Chicken, zucchini and parsnip puree

Prep time: 10 mins

Cooking time: 20 mins

Makes: 2 cups

1 single chicken breast fillet (170g), chopped coarsely

2 small zucchini (180g), chopped coarsely

1 small parsnip (120g), chopped coarsely

1 1/4 cups (310ml) water

Place ingredients in small saucepan, bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until vegetables soften and chicken is cooked through.

Blend or process mixture until smooth.

Beef, carrot & sweet potato puree

150g beef rump steak, diced into 3cm pieces

1/2 small sweet potato (125g), chopped coarsely

1 large carrot (180g), chopped coarsely

1 1/2 cups (375ml) water

Place ingredients in small saucepan, bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until vegetables soften and beef is cooked through.

Blend or process mixture until smooth.

Fish, potato and spinach puree

100g firm white fish fillet, chopped coarsely

30g baby spinach leaves

1 large potato (300g), chopped coarsely

1 1/2 cups (375ml) water

1/4 cup (60ml) water, extra

Place potato and the water in small saucepan, bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until potato is tender, strain potato over a small bowl.

Return liquid to same pan with fish and spinach, boil, uncovered, until fish is cooked through. Drain.

Push potato through a sieve into small bowl. Blend or process fish and spinach until smooth, stir fish mixture and the extra water into potato.

Tips:

Freeze any unused puree in 1 tablespoon batches in ice-cube trays, covered, for up to 1 month.

Make sure any skin and bones have been removed from the fish before cooking.

HTH

Lou :)

Strawberries

i don't have recipes as such, but what i do as i can't stand the pureed meat on its own - usually turns into a revolting mess.

i slow cook red meat until its really tender with some lentils. drain and puree. the lentils are a great source of protein but also makes the meat suspended through it with a nice consistency. i pop a cube or two in his vegies at meal times.

Edited by Strawberries

anon60

I used to "steam" the children's meat with veges and mild herbs (depending on how old the child was), in a "steamer" insert that sat inside the top of a saucepan. The meat/fish/chicken & veges didn't actually touch the water in teh bottom of the pan. I would then puree/ mash-up the food, using any liquid in the bottom of the pan - the meat and vege juices would have run into the water.

arty

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/babie...e_carrots_apple

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/babie...ty_salmon_puree

( I wouldn't use the orange juice in the above recipe)

I also buy lamb cutlets, brown them in a little olive oil and potatoes/rice/lentils, stock (I make my own chicken stock with free range chicken and veges and freeze in blocks) and other veges. Puree the meat and veges as desired.

As he got older I got a little more adventurous and started adding onion , garlic, cumin, herbs.

BeckyMarie

I just do a lot of slow cooking. Casseroles with plenty of vegies and meat are great. You can just puree or mash them to get the right consistency. I hate cooking different meals for everyone in the family, so this way, DD eats what we eat. I just mix hers with a bit of rice or pasta. She loves it! Made Osso Bucco last night from a recipe I found on here. It was divine and DD couldnt get enough!!