Sign in to follow this  
*Arabella*

Tiling - is it advisable to have it behind toilet and vanity

*Arabella*

We're currently getting a quote on renovating our bathroom. On one side of the room is the shower and bath, which be re-tiled. On the other side will be the toilet and vanity.

The guy who will probably be doing the job suggested there was no need to have tiles on the toilet and vanity side of the room, but I'm a bit unsure.

We have a baby boy, so I'm thinking we may well have some pee-on-the-wall incidents in years to come and I imagine it would be easier to clean the tiles than the painted wall. Also the hand towel will be next to the vanity so I imagine the wall will cop some drips as people go to reach for the towel after washing their hands.

For the record we're looking at a back to wall toilet suite thing and if we don't have tiled we'll have a mirror that spans the length of the vanity, acting as a spashback.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Tigerdog

I know I'd rather be cleaning tiles than a mirror any day! Our house has full-length mirrors on every wardrobe door, 3 large mirrors in the main bathroom and full-mirrored wardrobe doors in the main bedroom - hell to clean!

HRH Countrymel

Behind the toilet is one of the grossest parts of any house... TILE IT!

It is a tricky thing to tile though so maybe you've hired an incompetent tiler?

• Like 2

archyandmehitabel

We just had ours done. Separate toilet and bathroom. There are tiles behind the toilet and ours is completely back to the wall. Also have a tiny handbasin in there with hand towel. Tiling goes up to about eye height all around the toilet with a feature capping it. We went with the tiles all the way for ease of cleaning. With two boys, now teens, yes, easy cleaning walls is a good idea. The tiles went behind the cistern. Easier to do and looks better..

The vanity has no tiles behind it, but does have a row above the bench to the bottom of the mirror cabinet, which is big and starts just above the taps. You can have a mirror all the way to the benchtop, but think about whether you'll end up with a smeary splashed mirror. We tiled all the way to the ceiling in the bathroom.

Hands Up

Definitely tiles as they are easy to clean.

Should add that in our recent reno we did tiling floor to ceiling as it is more protection against damp.

Edited by NSG

Gumbette

Definitely tiles as they are easy to clean.

Should add that in our recent reno we did tiling floor to ceiling as it is more protection against damp.

Same thing here, tiles to the ceiling in all our bathrooms.

belindarama

Every day I thank the universe for the tilers stuffing up and accidentally using the downstairs toilet tiles to tile the toilet upstairs. They wore the mistake and ordered additional tiles for the downstairs toilet.

The upstairs toilet is the toilet next to the boys bedrooms that they use a lot. We hadn't really thought about it as it is separate to the bathroom. It was supposed to be plaster walls. Mistake. That would have been horrendous.

I am constantly wiping down toilet walls with pine o cleen. The thought of wee soaked plaster gives me the heebie jeebies. As it is only constant vigilance prevents the unmistakeable hint of urinal tainting the house.

Small boys and toilet training means tiles if you have the option.

sophiasmum

When we renovated our bathroom they removed everything from the room, fully tiled it, then installed the toilet vanity etc. So my answer is yes tile the lot.

Bazinga

Tile it all! I regret being a tight bum and leaving out the tiles behind the toilet. So disgusting to clean there against the plaster :(

boatiebabe

Floor to ceiling in the whole room!

Water_lily

We are planning to have a wall mounted one to save space. Now I am worried,

Any experience with these types ?

Thanks