'Thrown across the room': horrified mum warns parents after toddler electrocuted by phone charger

Photo: Facebook
Photo: Facebook 

A traumatised mum is warning other parents about the dangers of exposed electrical outlets after her toddler was electrocuted when she attempted to put a phone charger end into a power board.

The incident left a nasty burn on the little girl's hand and it was feared that her heart may have been affected.

A post submitted to CPR Kids began, "Please remember that your little ones are constantly watching you and trying to mimic everything you do as part of their development... A few nights ago could've ended a lot differently for my daughter. Hopefully sharing this will help someone."

The horrified mum then explained what happened.

"My daughter was admitted into the hospital Monday after receiving a pretty bad electrical shock from trying to plug my phone charger in. Unfortunately this happened right in front of me. I didn't realise she knew how to attempt to plug in a charger until it was too late."

She continued, "The power strip she tried plugging the charger into (one end was already plugged in, she tried putting the phone part of charger into the outlet) popped, shot sparks and what looked like flames and black smoke and threw her a few feet across the living room. She was quiet for a few seconds then started screaming and crying..."

The child was rushed to ER where concerns were raised that her heart had been "zapped."

"In ER they found an entrance wound but not an exit which worried them that it zapped her heart. She needed to stay overnight to monitor her heart."

The toddler turned out to be OK after her accident, other than the burn on her hand, but her mum is urging parents to pay attention to where power boards are situated in their homes.

Advertisement

"Even though my house is baby proofed with outlet covers, door stoppers, baby gates, stove knob covers etc, my baby still got hurt from something I stupidly never even considered would be an issue. Needless to say all power strips will be hidden in spots she can not get too from now on," she wrote.

Some commenters shared that they placed power boards into containers, however, this poses an overheating and potential fire risk.

How to protect your toddler from electrocution

* Homesafe Kids Australia recommends purchasing child safe power boards which have rotating safety covers for unused outlets.

* Ensure your switchboard is protected with a Residual Current Device - see website for details

In the event your child suffers an electrical burn, CPR Kids advises the following:

* "Always remember to first switch off the circuit breaker (safety switch) before touching your injured child - so that you yourself don't also become a victim and can then no longer assist your child."

* "Also, be prepared to follow DRSABCD (as electrical injuries can cause damage to the heart and other organs), before following REMOVE, COOL, COVER, SEEK as demonstrated in the first aid for burns video."

* Seek the help of medical professionals.