Amazing footage of toddler rescuing twin from fallen dresser

Toddler rescues twin trapped under dresser

Footage that may make parents sick to their stomach, shows Bowdy Shoff save his twin brother Brock after a dresser tipped over onto them.

When Kayli Shoff woke up at about 8.20am on Thursday, she wondered why she couldn't hear her two-year-old twins.

So she took her iPhone and checked the live stream of the security camera in her boys' bedroom downstairs to see if they were still asleep. She didn't see the boys, but she noticed that their dresser was tipped over.

Horrified that something bad might have happened, she and her husband, Richard, ran to the bedroom and saw the twins in a corner, quietly playing.

A toddler has rescued his twin brother from underneath a fallen dresser.
A toddler has rescued his twin brother from underneath a fallen dresser. Photo: Supplied

They reviewed the camera footage to find out how the eight-drawer dresser had tipped over - and what they saw made them sick to their stomach, Ms Shoff said.

The video showed Brock and Bowdy in matching pyjamas climbing into the dresser's drawers. Because of their combined weight, the furniture tipped over, trapping Brock underneath. Bowdy, who managed to wiggle out, seemed to very quickly realise what he needed to do.

He went to the other side of the dresser, bending over to assess the situation. He then walked back to the corner where his brother was stuck and stood there for 12 seconds, contemplating his next move. He tried to lift the dresser, but it was too heavy.

Then, it hit him. Placing his two hands against the top of the dresser, his right foot forward, Bowdy pushed as hard as he could, sliding the furniture off his brother.

"We were so proud," Ms Shoff said. "We were so proud with him helping his brother."

But Ms Shoff said the incident also left her feeling embarrassed. At first, she didn't want anyone else to see the video.

Advertisement

"I just never thought it would happen to me," said Ms Shoff, from Orem, Utah. "Because, obviously, we didn't tie down the dresser. And you never think it's going to happen to your child."

But a few days later, after talking to family members, she and her husband decided to share their experience.

Ms Shoff posted the video on YouTube on Saturday. The video has been viewed more than 670,000 times as of Tuesday afternoon. Her husband shared it on Facebook the following day, and the post has so far been shared more than 2000 times.

"I've been a little hesitant to post this. But I feel it's not only to bring awareness, but it is also incredible," Richard Shoff, who works for a security company, wrote. "We are so grateful for the bond that these twin brothers share."

Unsecured appliances and furniture are among the top hazards for children at home, according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.

In Australia, data shows there has been an average of one death a year since 2000 involving furniture falling on children under nine years of age in this country.

Last year, Ikea, the largest furniture retailer in the world, recalled 29 million dressers following the deaths of three toddlers. In all incidents, Ikea furniture had tipped over on them.

Ms Shoff said neither of her twins was injured.

After the incident, she and her husband bolted the dresser to the wall. They put latches on the side of the bottom drawers and removed all the knobs so the twins couldn't climb up them. She now urges other parents to immediately do the same.

"If you wait a day or two," she said, "you're not going to do it."

Washington Post