A delicious, comforting soup for the cooler weather.
1 cup (120g) chopped onion
1 cup (120g) chopped celery
3/4 cup (60g) coarsely grated carrot
1 tablespoon canola or other vegetable oil
2 cups (240g) corn kernels
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
4 cups (1 litre) water
Salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Cayenne pepper or hot chilli sauce, to taste
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
2 avocados, cut into small dice
- In a saucepan sauté onion, celery and carrot in the oil until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the corn, thyme, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Press through a sieve, or puree in a food processor and return to the pot.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper or chilli sauce.
- Remove from the heat and add lemon juice to taste and stir in three-quarters of the avocado.
- Reheat the soup without allowing to boil.
Serve into bowls and garnish with the remaining avocado.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
Courtesy of California Avocado Commission. Recipe courtesy of Avocados Australia.