A lighter, faster and greener pea soup than the traditional one using dried split peas. A smoked, gypsy-style ham gives it a lovely flavour.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 leeks, trimmed and finely chopped
500g frozen peas
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock, hot
100g thick slice of ham, shredded
Cracked black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the leeks until soft, about 10 minutes, without browning.
- Add the peas and toss until well coated with oil.
- Add the hot stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then puree the soup in batches in a blender or with a stick blender.
- Return to the pan, add most of the shredded ham, season well and simmer for five minutes.
- Serve hot with the remaining ham and a grind of black pepper.
Chef: Jill Dupleix
Photo: Marina Oliphant
Source: The Sydney Morning Herald
British, Quick, Contemporary, Healthy, Kid-friendly, Wheat free, Dairy free, Nut free, Egg free, Soup