When buying baby gifts for baby shower or christening for a new baby there are a few different things to consider. Whether you want it to be a practical newborn baby gift, a long term present that will last for years or something more ornamental and meaningful, you can find perfect baby gifts in a variety of stores, including online stores, at baby boutiques or you can even make your own gifts at home, such as knitting a baby blanket.
Large or expensive items such as nursery furniture, strollers or car seats are best left for the parents to choose and buy themselves, unless a mother has specified a particular item in which case it would be acceptable for a group of people to pool money to purchase it together.
Baby gift registries are just starting to catch on in Australia and it’s an ideal solution for friends and family members who want to purchase gifts but are unsure of what to get. Many online baby stores and baby boutiques can set up gift registries for mums-to-be and also have gift baskets that incorporate many of the necessities required for newborns:
But just in case you need some ideas here are a list of popular, classic baby gifts for both sexes:
Baby gifts for baby boys and girls
Newborn baby gifts
- Muslin wraps or baby blankets in blue for boys or pink for girls, or in gender-neutral colours such as white, yellow and green where the sex is unknown or being kept a secret.
- Baby Basket/Moses Basket: This enables a baby to sleep anywhere, including any room in the home, when travelling or when out and about during the day, close to Mum and Dad.
- Bibs, burping cloths and onesies: Parents can never have too many of these items, which come in a variety of colours, patterns and often featuring animals and characters.
- Baby wipes, nappies or bottles: These items are the staples of everyday life with an infant.
- Mobiles to hang above the baby’s cot: These provide plenty of visual stimulation for babies and those that have music can also help in soothing a baby to sleep.
Long-term baby gifts
- Nappy bin: Most nappy bins seal in the odours of nappies so that the bin only needs to be emptied when full which prevents parents from running to the kitchen bin multiple times each day.
- Nappy bag: Parents need a high quality nappy bag to be able to leave the house and have everything they need for their baby. Mums often like to have a nappy bag that suits their taste and style, as they will be taking it everywhere with them.
- Baby books and photo albums: Made to record the important moments in your baby’s life, they include space for detailing milestones and photographs.
- Baby monitor: This is something that all parents need from day one.
- Newborn portrait photography package: Usually taken within the first six weeks of your baby’s life, newborn photos are taken to capture those first few precious months before your baby starts to grow.
- Classic books such as the Beatrix Potter collection or Paddington Bear series: With gorgeous illustrations and in hardcover, they will always be a timeless gift.
Ornamental baby gifts for first birthdays and christenings
Parents need a high quality nappy bag to be able to leave the house and have everything they need for their baby.
- Silver rattles, photo frames, piggy banks or spoons: These can be engraved and handed down through generations.
- Personalised alphabet blocks or wall hangings with a baby’s name: This is what sets a nursery apart and makes it all about your baby.
Baby gifts just for baby girls
- A wooden doll house
- Baby tutu skirt
- Silver ID bracelets with a plate to be engraved with the baby’s name and birth date can be re-sized to fit as little girls age
Baby gifts just for baby boys
- Miniature versions of footballs, soccer balls and basketballs are always cute
- Stuffed dinosaurs or clothes with animal prints
- Tiny baby sneakers