Annabel Karmel's satay chicken
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chopped root ginger
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 small chilli de-seeded
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 small shallot
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp ground nut oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips and threaded onto soaked skewers
- To serve: Sweet chilli sauce (optional)
1. To make the sauce, put all the ingredients except the ground nut oil and chicken into an electric hand blender and blend until smooth.
Annabel Karmel's new book, Eating for Two, offers advice and recipes for mums-to-be.
2. Cut the chicken in to strips and allow to marinate in the sauce for 30 minutes to four hours. The longer the better.
3. When the chicken is ready, heat the ground nut oil in a hot pan and add the chicken. Cook until the meat is cooked through and the surface is caramelised. Alternatively, the chicken can be put on to skewers and then grilled or barbecued.
4. Serve with dipping sauces such as sweet chilli sauce.
Makes 2 portions
From Annabel Karmel's Eating for Two: The complete guide to nutrition during pregnancy and beyond.