Dad warns parents about popular Tommee Tippee dummy after baby found choking

The teat from Earl Wilson's daughter's Tommee Tippee dummy became lodged in her throat, causing her to turn blue.
The teat from Earl Wilson's daughter's Tommee Tippee dummy became lodged in her throat, causing her to turn blue. Photo: Facebook/ Earl Wilson

A father has taken to Facebook to warn parents about the dangers of a popular Tommee Tippee dummy after his daughter was found "blue" and choking on its teat.

Earl Wilson shared details of the horrifying moment his wife, Sam, discovered their 18-month-old daughter with the dummy's "nipple" lodged in her throat.

"Beware," he wrote. "My daughter nearly choked on this Tommee Tippee soother yesterday morning." Mr Wilson added that if it wasn't for his wife's quick thinking the outcome could have been very different. "I'd hate to think what would of happened," he said.

Thankfully, Mr Wilson's wife removed the teat from their daughter's throat in time.

"My main concern," he continued, "is it's an owl dummy (associated with night) so people will be using it at bed time."

The distressed dad noted that had the incident occurred in the middle of the night, "I don't think my daughter would be here now ..."

Mr Wilson's post has since been shared almost 30,000 times, and has attracted over 7,000 comments from concerned parents.  Some explained that they do a "pull test" before giving a dummy to their children, tugging on the chewy "teat" in all directions to ensure it's safe before use.

"I always check my sons dummies because of this reason," one mum wrote. "I do the pull test nearly everyday. I suck it myself to see if it feels right. Last night i did it before he went to bed and it didn't feel right.like there was something pinchy to it. As i looked closer it had a very tiny hole at the top of the teat. I soon pulled it apart and broke it up before binning it.always pays to check them."

Many other commenters expressed that the same issue could occur with any brand of dummy - not just Tommee Tippee.

Advertisement
A representative from Tommee Tippee told Good Housekeeping that the safety and wellbeing of babies "is at the heart of everything we do," and that they were taking the issue "extremely seriously".
The spokesperson also issued the following statement:
"We're very sorry that Earl and his wife and daughter have had this experience; it must have been very distressing for them. We're going to investigate this thoroughly, and have already spoken to Earl's wife, Sam, to arrange to get the pacifier back so we can examine it. We produce and sell over 15 million pacifiers globally every year, and it is extraordinarily rare for customers to have issues with the baglet. However, like all other pacifier manufacturers, we always advise parents to pull the pacifier in all directions and look for bite marks before every single use, and throw away at the first signs of damage or weakness."
A 2016 paper from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), which reviewed the mandatory safety standards for babies' dummies, highlights the issues parents need to be aware of for safe dummy use.
The ACCC's warnings include: "Do not tie dummy around baby's neck as it presents a strangulation hazard," and "A torn or broken dummy poses a choking hazard. Inspect carefully before each use. Pull the teat in all directions. Throw away at the first sign of damage or weakness."
In August last year, a formal recall notice was issued for Tommee Tippee super soft dummies, after a relaunch of their original design resulted in a potential choking hazard. A new design launched late last year.

Comments