'I'm over the moon': Prince Harry
Britain's Prince Harry speaks to the media at Windsor Castle hours after the birth of his first son.
London: Harry and Meghan have announced the arrival of their long-awaited baby – and it's a boy.
"This little thing is absolutely to die for, I'm over the moon," the Duke of Sussex told reporters at Windsor Castle.
He said the child was "very healthy".
Public reacts to new royal baby
Tourists and locals in Windsor and London welcome the birth of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's baby boy.
After weeks of fevered speculation, and even theories that the birth had happened and been kept secret, the Duchess of Sussex went into labour in the early hours of Monday morning, local time.
The labour wasn't made public until early afternoon, even though the birth had already happened at 5.26am. Then the Sussexes made it official with an "It's a Boy" post on their Instagram account, and an appearance by the Duke at Windsor Castle.
The child is seventh in line to the throne, and the first mixed-race baby in the senior ranks of the royals.
Prince Harry said: "It's brilliant, I'm absolutely thrilled. We're really grateful for all the love and support shown to us. It's been overdue so we have had a little bit of time to think about names so that's the next bit.
View this post on Instagram
We are pleased to announce that Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Sussex welcomed their firstborn child in the early morning on May 6th, 2019. Their Royal Highnesses’ son weighs 7lbs. 3oz. The Duchess and baby are both healthy and well, and the couple thank members of the public for their shared excitement and support during this very special time in their lives. More details will be shared in the forthcoming days.
"I haven't been at many births. This is my first birth. It was amazing and absolutely incredible. I'm incredibly proud of my wife.
"Every father and parent will say your baby is absolutely amazing but this little thing is absolutely to die for. I'm over the moon."
A statement from Buckingham Palace revealed the baby weighed 3.3kg at birth (around average) and the Duchess’s mother, Doria Ragland was with the family at Frogmore Cottage – the couple's home – suggesting that it had been a home birth.
Details surrounding the birth have been veiled in unusual secrecy, even for the royal family, with not even the location being announced beforehand.
In a press release last month the couple explained they "have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private".
"The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family," the note said.
Rather than the steps-of-the-hospital photo op that recent royal babies have been shown off at, the first sight of dad, mum and bub is likely to be in a few days' time at a tightly-controlled event near the Sussexes’ new residence, Frogmore Cottage in Berkshire, rather than a public free-for-all.
Media had speculated on either a home birth, or at the Kensington wing of the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, where Meghan’s pal Amal Clooney had her twins.
The baby's name will likely be announced a few days after the birth. The surname is expected to be Sussex.
The boy is expected (by those who know such things) to be given the "courtesy title" of the Earl of Dumbarton.
It is up to the Queen whether he will be a prince, a title usually reserved for children directly in line to the throne, though there are exceptions.
At seventh in line the child will be very, very unlikely ever to be king.
There will be a christening, probably some months later, with no clear precedent as to where (possibly St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle).
Meghan and Harry recently moved into their new home: Frogmore Cottage on the Windsor Castle estate, which they have had extensively renovated. The works reportedly include a nursery.
They are likely to employ a nanny to help out – it’s a royal tradition – and some newspaper reports have suggested Meghan would prefer a male nanny.
The Sussexes now have their own "household", or administrative staff, announced by the Queen in mid-March, which will have its main office at Buckingham Palace.
Instead of sending gifts, wellwishers have been asked to donate to four children’s charities, listed on their Instagram page - The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.