Perth mum warns parents after baby monitor explosion

The monitor appears to have split in two.
The monitor appears to have split in two. Photo: Georgia Chester

A Perth woman has issued a warning to parents after the explosion of her brand-name baby monitor.

Georgia Chester said her partner was about to put their child to bed when they heard a "bang".

"He went to her room, and found it filled with smoke," she said.

The camera appeared to have exploded, and it had split in two.

"The lithium batteries inside were all swollen ... the monitor was only eight months old, and had always sat at the head of her cot," Ms Chester said.

The product was a Uniden BW3400 baby monitor, which is a popular multi-camera system for parents.

"We have spoke to Uniden, and they are sending us out a new set," Ms Chester said.

"But it's very worrying.

"If others have the same camera it could potentially cause serious damage."

Advertisement

Uniden Australia managing director Vic Sacco said the company had never received feedback of this nature before.

"We take any product concerns seriously, and can't provide further comment until we thoroughly review the unit," he said.

Uniden is currently waiting to receive the product to review the fault.