Mum suffers horrific burns after Thermomix bursts open

'Imagine if my kids had been on the kitchen bench,' Ms Jones' said.
'Imagine if my kids had been on the kitchen bench,' Ms Jones' said.  Photo: Supplied

GRAPHIC PHOTOS

A Perth mother has suffered second-degree burns to her chest, arms and stomach after a popular kitchen appliance unexpectedly burst open while she was preparing dinner.

Danika Jones said she was cooking a pasta sauce in her Thermomix in January when the lid flew open and splattered burning hot liquid all over her upper body.

Burns suffered by Danika Jones in Perth, after a her Thermomix allegedly burst open when in use, in March this year.
Burns suffered by Danika Jones in Perth, after a her Thermomix allegedly burst open when in use, in March this year. Photo: Supplied

"I had popped the pasta sauce ingredients in the Thermomix using the same recipe I've used every week since I bought the machine more than two years ago," she said.

"Towards the end of the process, it was pureeing the sauce when it started making a funny noise and vibrating.

"I walked over to turn it off and as I did that, it just exploded – the lid blew off and hot liquid went everywhere, all over me. The pain was intense."

The mother-of-two from Halls Head was rushed by ambulance to the hospital burns unit for extensive treatment.

Ms Jones said while she was in hospital, medical staff told her she was not the first patient to present with burn injuries from a Thermomix incident. 

"When I went to get my burns redressed, the nurse specifically said to me 'you're not the first person to come in here with burns from the seal coming off'," she said. 

Advertisement

"So many people use a Thermomix and they need to know how unpredictable they can be and how dangerous they can become when they malfunction.

"Imagine if my kids had been on the kitchen bench [when the appliance malfunctioned]."

Ms Jones had recently had the sealing ring replaced by the manufacturer following a nation-wide recall of the Thermomix TM31 model.

The mother-of-two from Halls Head was rushed by ambulance to the hospital burns unit for extensive treatment.
The mother-of-two from Halls Head was rushed by ambulance to the hospital burns unit for extensive treatment. Photo: Supplied

In October 2014, the model was recalled over claims that, in rare circumstances, liquid or food may splash out of the mixing bowl when the user switches it from a high speed to the 'lid open' position.

The supplier claimed replacing the seal would eliminate the potential risk.

Ms Jones is now urging Thermomix to introduce a full recall of the TM31 model, and is warning other users of the popular appliance to be aware of its potential dangers.

Slater and Gordon lawyer Nakkie Le Roux said the firm was investigating a claim on behalf of Ms Jones.

"Danika has suffered serious injuries despite following the manufacturer's instructions while using her Thermomix," she said.

"Preparing meals in a Thermomix has become an everyday activity in many kitchens all over Australia and it is very concerning that such an incident has occurred."

Ms Jones said she no longer uses her Thermomix and struggles to cook food in her oven out of fear of being burnt. 

The popularity of the Thermomix among Australian families has skyrocked in recent years with 80,000 of the appliances, costing just under $2000, being sold nationally in 2014.

Thermomix has been contacted for comment. 

Comments