Last chance to chat to Minister Macklin
Last chance to ask questions and vote in the All About Families forum, hosted by OurSay
Time is running out for families to have their question answered by Minister for Families, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs and Minister for Disability Reform, Jenny Macklin.
The All About Families online forum run by OurSay gives families the opportunity to raise issues important to them with Minister Macklin.
Minister Macklin will be joining people with the most popular questions on the online forum to discuss their issues in person on 10 December, in an event moderated by Amber Robinson from Essential Baby.
There has been significant interest so far, with 58 questions asked and almost 2000 votes received.
Families now have 10 days left to post a question and encourage as many people as possible to vote for your question.
Families who want to post a question can address an issue across Minister Macklin’s broad and interesting families’ portfolio.
Within the portfolio, she oversees the following:
Welfare Payments Reform:
- promoting positive parenting in the best interests of children
- helping people manage their money and gain control over their lives, for the benefit of themselves and their children, through income management
- developing and improving financial support for a child from both parents following separation
- overseeing the Paid Parental Leave scheme and Dad and Partner Pay scheme
- providing services through the Family Support Program to support families with their child’s wellbeing, development and safety and family functioning
- Developing and implementing the National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009–2020
- providing Commonwealth Financial Counselling to assist those experiencing personal financial difficulties due to unemployment, sickness, as well as family breakdown.
- overseeing the Schoolkids Bonus and Household Assistance Program
- assisting care leavers to locate personal and family history files and the reunite with members of their families, where that is possible, through the National Find and Connect Service.
When asked about her participation, Minister Macklin said, “I’m excited to be taking part in OurSay’s All About Families online forum and it’s great to see the number of questions that have been posted so far.”
Minister Macklin is a mother of three adult children and has advocated for women’s rights though out her political career. Delivering the country’s first Paid Parental Leave scheme in 2010 and the Schoolkids Bonus this year, she is now looking to build Australia’s first National Disability Insurance Scheme. Find out more about Jenny Macklin.