'Don't trust a screen': Mum's plea after daughter fell from window

<i></i>
 Photo: Facebook: Hannah Davis

After her baby daughter fell out of a second story window – and luckily survived – one mum is warning other parents about window safety. 

Erin Cumiskey discovered that just because a screen is down over the window, doesn't mean your child is safe from falling.

Madeline was at her babysitter's house when she pushed through a screen on an open window and fell two storeys to the driveway below. She was airlifted to hospital with a fractured skull.

When Erin drove up to her babysitter's house and saw the screen lying on the driveway, she knew that was where her 11-month-old daughter Madeline had fallen from the second storey.

"When I got there, I just saw the screen on the driveway, and I knew that was where my baby fell," Erin told WFAA in Texas after the accident.

Madeline is expected to make a full recovery, but Erin knows they are incredibly lucky.

WFAA reporter Hanna Davis shared some photos of Erin and Madeline on her Facebook page.

"Today her mom and doctors are sharing ALL the information you need to know to keep kids safe," she wrote.

Advertisement

Senior Director of Trauma Services at The Children's Medical Center, Lori Vinson, said there are simple steps parents can take to keep their children safe from falling like Madeline.

"Screens are meant to keep bugs out, not to keep kids in," said Lori. She says parents should keep furniture away from open windows so kids won't have easy access, and that they should buy window guards. And if you do want to open the window, says Lori, "Only open it four inches (10 centimetres) or less."

Kidsafe SA says children falling from windows are most likely to be male and younger than three years of age.

They recommend parents who live in flats, apartments and two-storey houses take special care to protect children from falling from windows and stairs, agreeing with Lori's guidelines to remove furniture from near windows, and adding window guards to restrict access.

Erin is grateful her lesson ended well, and wants parents to learn from Madeline's experience.

"She's doing great. We're so lucky," she said.