I don't know where to post this question. I've looked everywhere on this site and generally on the internet, and can't find anything much to help me.
I've had retained placenta twice before, with a missed m/c and my son 7 years ago. I pretty much expected it again and was not surprised to find there was a 2.5cm chunk still there with some other small scattered bits.
Had a D&C at about 8 weeks, and came out 2 hours later to be told that I had a ruptured uterus. They used a forceps type device to pull away the 2.5cm placenta, and it came away with the uterine wall. It had been attached to the top wall. They did a laparoscopy and stitched up the hole, which the stitches continued to tear as it was so thin.
Unfortunately my OB went on leave at the end of that day, so I haven't talked with him since that evening. However I have had appt's with another in his practice.
It seems to be very doom and gloom for me to have another baby. They've told me that I would have to have a c/s, and most likely a hysterecomy afterwards, particularly if any part of the placenta mounts on the top wall again. I didnt see the "big risk", only now they tell me that the potential for blood loss/transfusions is high for having a hyst immediately after a c/s.
There is a risk too that the uterus could rupture during the pregnancy. I have a history of recurrent miscarriages, and another D&C is also risky and may result in a hyst. I can't have an IUD which is my preferred contraception as the pill doesn't agree with me.
I've been told there is a 30-40% chance that the placenta will at least partially cover the wound. It is possible that the placenta will grow through the thin wall and grow on other organs.
We hadn't talked about having more kids, but DD who is now 11 weeks old has been so much easier that DS 7 years ago. I think it is because I know I can cope and I know what to do (most of the time!! ). I had been thinking that I could do it again in a few years. But now the choice seems to have been taken away. That's what has affected me the most.
I'm trying to make a decision - whether to keep my uterus and try for another baby in a few years. I will be interested in anyones experiences with pregnancy/birth after a rupture.
If the risks are too high of me or my baby dying as a result of this condition, then I am thinking of having a hyst anyway. My thoughts are if I can't have babies, then why keep my uterus and continue to have periods which is annoying. I can't see the point in having my tubes tied for contraception when I will never have it reversed to have kids anyway, and will still have periods.
I don't want to lose my uterus if I could have a healthy baby in the future, and it doesn't kill me!!
I hope someone can help me.