Photo
- - - - -

I want the top bunk!

Posted by clevek , 20 December 2012 · 485 views

“I want the top bunk!” yells The Complicated One (age 6.5 years) on the first day of our short pre-Christmas break by the beach.

“No, I want the top bunk,” counters The Big Fella (age 4.5).

After much tedious negotiation, everyone agrees that:

a)    the eldest child will scale the dizzy heights of the top bunk (since he’s the best climber) and

b)    the least eldest child will lie safely nearest the ground   (since he dropped like a sack of potatoes from some monkey bars the   previous weekend, landing on his backside with a shuddering thud that   demanded chiropractic care).

Fast forward six hours to bedtime .... “I feel sick and dizzy up here. I might fall.”

The Complicated One has lost his nerve.

“Would you like to come down?”

Sad little nod of head in reply.

Further negotiations are   required about who should have the bottom bunk. The Complicated One   reckons he should sleep on the bottom while The Big Fella moves to the   less salubrious adjacent single bed. The Big Fella does not agree.

Eventually peace is restored when the least eldest brother agrees to make way for the eldest brother in the bottom bunk.

Five minutes later….thud.

It sounds suspiciously like The Big Fella falling like a sack of wet cement out of a tree.

Then screams.

Which sound suspiciously like The Complicated One stubbing his toe.

Which brother is it?

Of course, the eldest brother has fallen out of the bottom bunk, and   managed to badly (he claims) hurt his knee in the drop (all 45   centimetres of it).

Lucky he wasn’t in the top bunk, or he’d be in hospital. At least his little brother only needs chiropractic care.

Read more random moments from a beach holiday at http://clevek.blogspot.com.au/

Recent Entries

Search My Blog

Share your baby's first taste photos to win

Heinz and Essential Baby are giving away $1000 and baby food hampers - enter today!

Mum speaks out after being verbally abused while breastfeeding her baby

We don't use clickbait headlines here at Essential Baby, but here's one case we would consider breaking our rule for.

What medications can pregnant women take?

For most women, forgoing anything that poses a risk to the baby is a no-brainer. But what about medication?

Win a luxury baby bag

To celebrate the launch of our exclusive Essential Baby offers email, we're giving away an Il Tutto baby bag valued up to $450.

My friend fed my daughter when she couldn't feed hers

When everything is broken and mixed up we have to create our own beauty from the pieces.

Baby Aubrey's smile for the dad she'll never meet

It is a precious image little Aubrey and her family will treasure forever.

Congratulations - it's a Ford Foetus!

It wasn't until he zoomed into the picture that he noticed a familiar shape

The life-changing magic of tidying up: parents' edition

It made me swoon to think of a house so neatly organised that anything could be located at the drop of a hat. That said, I must admit I struggled to relate to a lot of it.

Sextuplets recreate viral baby photo six years later

You may have seen the amazing photo before: a dad lies on the floor, six babies sleeping happily on and around him, as his wife looks on.

Dad no match for baby's smelly nappy

He somehow managed to avoid it for three months, but the time finally came when new dad Brendan Andrews had to deal with a dirty nappy.

Pregnant teens smoking in hope of having small babies: study

Pregnant teenagers are smoking in the hope it will result in them having smaller babies, according to new research.

Why all births should be followed by a debrief

During a birth debrief, the new mother has an opportunity to talk about her birth experience.

Dealing with new mum insomnia

So your baby's finally asleep, and now you can't get any shut-eye? You're not alone.

Style inspiration: 10 more dream nurseries on Instagram

We've spotted some amazing decorating talent on Instagram. Tune in for the latest nursery inspiration.

How to choose a rare and unusual baby name

On the hunt for an rare and unusual moniker? Here's some advice on how to search for 'the one'.

How to work from home with a baby

When it comes to working from home with a baby, life can certainly be both challenging and different.  

Paul Chai

'Aren't you lucky you had boys?'

"If I had a penny every time I heard this, I'd have amassed a lot of cash by now," writes Paul Chai.

How I learned to love my mummy body

When I had my two daughters, my body became all soft. Some bits wobbly, others a bit saggy.

Adult breastfeeding relationships - yes, this is a thing

An Atlanta mother, Jessica Mulford, has attracted worldwide attention for admitting she breastfeeds her boyfriend, thirty-six year old Brad Leeson.

The best pregnancy pillows

A maternity pillow is a must. Here's a roundup of the best of each kind.

White couple 'adopts' leftover black embryos

"It forces you to think in a new way about the way you think, speak, act and live."

How stars dealt with their real-life pregnancies on the small screen

When a TV star falls pregnant but the series is in production, there are tricks and ways to hide a growing belly. 

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a luxury baby bag

To celebrate the launch of our exclusive Essential Baby offers email, we're giving away an Il Tutto baby bag valued up to $450.

I think my toddler has a sensitive tummy ? what should I do?

For some children, upset tummies come and go. For others, they feel like a regular part of life. (SPONSORED)

Is this the best ever gender reveal photo?

The phrase "it's a boy!" is not an unusual thing to hear in a delivery room. However if the mum and dad-to-be believed they were expecting a girl, the words would come as a bit of a surprise - just ask Koto Nakamura.  

Hilarious reply to mum's inquiry about "broken" baby

What do you do when you have something new and it doesn't appear to be working properly? Look for the guarantee, of course. 

Jena Malone's unusual baby name choice

Jena Malone and her boyfriend Ethan DeLorenzo have welcomed a son, giving him the unusual name of Ode Mountain.

Toddler diagnosed with early onset puberty

A one-year-old boy in India who developed facial hair and sexual urges was diagnosed with a rare hormonal condition.

The pain of teething

If the tooth fairy takes teeth away, it must be something like a goblin who brings them in the first place.

10 things I need to thank my partner for

He didn't have to grow a human, recover from childbirth or learn the ins and outs of mothering two children, but he did have to do an awful lot.

My in-laws snubbed our wedding

For your own husband's parents not to come to your wedding is an utter embarrassment.

Dad shares hilarious video on how to travel with a baby

Travelling with a baby can be a daunting task for new mums and dads.

Adorable triplets give garbage men a hand

Tuesdays and Fridays are the favourite days of the week for toddler triplets Heaton, Wilder and Holden.

The new family holiday: the maternitymoon

It's an idea that makes some people feel excited, while others shudder at the increased difficulty.

Symbolic permanence: the rise of tattoo wedding rings

Couples are choosing to get inked in honour of their lifelong commitment to each other.

Is it okay to reward children with food?

Does giving children food as a reward turn them into emotional eaters?

Exhausted mums share their 'sleepy selfies'

Two photos of mums have shown the world the physical impact of exhaustion in all its frazzled glory.

Mum shares pic of Gordon Ramsay's baby doppelganger

A Welsh couple have realised their newborn has a striking resemblance to a certain celebrity chef.

Do you hide your emotions from your kids?

I want my children to grow up and know it's okay to feel strong emotion and to display it. Vulnerability and imperfection do not equal weakness.

ENTER NOW

Win a luxury baby bag

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.