Photo
- - - - -

Fisher-Price

Posted by EB Product Panel , 16 July 2010 · 1800 views

Our product testers tried out new and classic toys from Fisher-Price, one of the world's best-loved toy manufacturers. Here's what they had to say.

KimminyCricket
Jul 27 2010 08:11 PM
I was lucky enough to trial a Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster Seat for the product review panel.

It was quite funny that when it arrived, both of my children were ecstatic as they had a box to play with - I was more interested with what was inside!  

The seat is a pale beige colour with a red back which is nice as it's not something that stands out amongst our other furniture.  We have leather dining chairs so I've placed a towel between the seat and the leather to protect it.  That seems to do the trick and stop it from marking.

I like the secure strap that wraps around the back of the dining chair which stops it from slipping - this was easy to tighten and is also easy to undo when necessary.  The seat also has a three point harness that adjusts and is roomy enough for my robust little man!

My favourite thing about this particular chair is that we can push Charlie right up to the table and he can be a part of our mealtime - he loves this too!

When we used the tray, the top layer is dishwasher safe and also wiped clean really easily.  It doesn't stain - even with mashed pumpkin or vegemite!

At an RRP of around $60 I have already recommended these to two friends.  They are not only handy to have at home, but easily transportable and allow little tackers to join the whole family at mealtime.  The back folds down so you can take it to any restaurant, or out to friend's houses.

I'd highly recommend the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster to anyone thinking of buying one.  Well worth it.

misslettuceleaf
Aug 02 2010 02:45 PM
Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Camera
Ages 6 - 36 month.
Price - around $25.00

picture of the Fisher Price laugh and Learn Camera

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to review this toy.
My son is 16 months and my daughter is 4.

My first impressions is that is looks like a typical Fisher price product.
Very bright and nice rounded edges for safety.
I also liked the handle at the side for little ones to get a firm grip on the toy.
At first my son just wanted to play with the box LOL.
After a while he became interested in the sound it was making (not on its own, we were rolling the ball in the centre front of the toy).
Basically there were buttons at the top to push and the ball to roll. This produced about 4 songs. One of them was comical  and another was about feelings which was nice. Another song did counting which is great for learning. It was the typical Fisher Price voice which gets a bit much after a while. A light also lit up on the side in red. It also had a spinnner on the other side for manual play.

All in all it was an easy to use product for my kids - my 4 year old was also  interested.
But i think that it is limited in its uses and my kids only played with it for a few minutes at a time. They have not played with it in a couple of days.
I would recommend it as it teaches counting, feelings and humor which are very important. And  the older child can role play with it even though it does not have an eye piece to look through.
But be aware, its fuctions are limited.

Overall, well done Fisher Price on another sound toy.
Fisher-Price Healthy Care Deluxe Booster Seat

Appearance:
The seat is a small compact size and has a red back & cream base. No garrish colours! It is made out of strong moulded plastic with safety straps that attach to any chair with a back. The seat has an adjustable base with 3 settings to make it higher or lower. The tray also has 3 setting to ensure a comfortable fit.

Performance:
I gave it to my 16 month old & he put it on the floor and played with it for ages. He was able to sit in it comfortably & watch tv. He also spent a lot of time trying to do up the safety buckles!
I then place it on the dining room chair. It fits well on the chair. The only negative is that the dining chair can't fit under the table anymore, even with the main tray removed, so this is a bit of an issue with lower tables.
The seat was extremely easy to clean after feeding, unlike traditional highchairs where food always seems to disappear! The small tray is easy to take apart & clean in the dishwasher.

Overall:
I am very happy with the booster seat & will recommend it to others. It will suit a wide variety of ages as does a traditional highchair and it can be used with the dining chairs most people already have, so it does not take up extra floor space which is a plus. Because of its compact size, the seat is easily transportable as well. My favourite part is that it is so easy to clean!
Thankyou for the opportunity to trial this product.
We were thrilled to try the Fisher Price 'Teddy's Shapes and Colours' book, as seen below,

Appearance:

The book is in an open package so can be played with prior to purchasing. The packaging was easy to remove and the toy was soon placed into very eager little hands. The book has three pages made of hard, durable plastic, with a large yellow botton in the middle that protrudes through all three pages. Each page is covered with a large colourful sticker that displays a coloured shape, a sentence and a colourful picture. There is an on/off switch at the side of the book and hte option of a louder or quieter volume.

Performance:

As soon as the large button was pressed the books sprung to life. As each page is turned, the written sentence is recited by a pre recorded voice so children can 'read along'. The large yellow button flashes as the pages are turned and if pressed, the book  will ask the child to point out certain features of each page. Each press of the button ensures a new challenge for the child.

There is a small child sized handle built into the main case of the book so it's very easy for small children to carry around.

The book is extremely durable and has been dropped several times yet still works perfectly. Despite a few chewes and dribbles by it's new owner, the book isn't showing any wear or tear and the battery is still going strong despite being played with a few times each day for the past few weeks.

Overall:

I am pleasantly surprised at how much the Teddy's Shapes and Colours book still holds my toddlers attention. Most toys in this range have lost his interest by two or three days however  this one is still a much loved favourite. The book is very bright end engaging, the flashing light is a definite draw card with toddlers. The voice is pleasant and only speaks a sentence at a time so not too overwhelming or boring.

Personally I wouldn't have thought it would be played with past a couple of days as there are only three actual pages in the book but I think that's the draw card for toddlers. After a couple of plays with it the toy is familiar thus more appealing. Our little toy tester is still very much in love with his new book after more than two weeks of playing with it.

This toy would make an ideal forst or second birthday present for toddlers of either gender.

Thank you for the oportunity to test the Fisher Price 'Teddy's Shapes and Colours' book.

Thank you Fisher-Price, I received the learning camera. My little boy LOVES it. He's 2 and he particulary loves the music in it. He often brings it to the breakfast table and happily sits down to (messily) spoon his cereal and then takes 'pictures' of everyone at the table with a hearty 'CHEESE'.

It's lovely seeing them with something that they keep going back to and happily hum and dance along. He's perfectly happy wandering around the house with a happy little smile catching everyone from actual people to the TV with 'cheese.' It does amaze me how clearly they get the concept of taking photos.

Thanks again

***butterfly***
Sep 10 2010 08:59 PM
Thank-you Fisher price for the cool camera my daughter, 19 months received.  She loves it.  I thought it would be one of those annoying toys with a couple of sounds that just go on and on and was pleasantly surprised that it has a few songs and all.  My daughter loves and has developed an awesome face for cheese now, since getting the camera.

Not only does it entertain my 19 month old, but my now 4 year old also loves to use it to imitate mummy.  I love seeing them play and tell people where to sit etc... It is so funny watching a mirror of how they see me.

The songs/choice in music just has my 19 month dancing around the room.  

Thanks so much for such a awesome toy.
I have been road testing the Fisher Price Private Connection Monitor, with dual receivers.

Initial Impressions;   The monitor is packaged and presented in a way that represents a quality product.  You can see the actual monitor and hand units through the clear plastic, so you know exactly what you are buying.  Features are listed clearly on the front of the box.

Appearance / feel of the product; All components of the monitor are compact and modern in appearance.  The monitor itself is small enough that it wont take up precious space on a bedside table as well as being aesthetically pleasing, so not look out of place.  The hand units are small enough to clip on your belt or hold in your pocket without being annoying.  However, still big enough to offer a clear, easy to read screen.

Ease of use; It doesn't get any simpler.  Just plug the monitor in, turn on the receiver and you are set.  The receivers have built in rechargeable batteries that were ready to go.  They were already set to the same channel straight out of the box.  The sensitivity of the monitor is far superior to the 3 others I have tried.  The lights indicating noise on the receivers are nice and bright, so there is no mistaking if the baby is stirring even if you didn't actually catch the noise.  The lights are viewable from both sides of the receiver allowing you the freedom to move around the house and still know what is going on.  Backlit LCD display also includes reception indicator and battery level indicator, so you won't get caught out with a flat battery when you least expect it, plus you can chose which of the 10 channels works best for your location.

Would you buy or recommend this product to others? Absolutely.  Having used several monitors in the past, I have always had issues with background noise or static.  This is simply not the case with this product.  The range is second to none, hands free, dual recievers and rechargeble batteries, it really has everything covered.  

Value for money? It is on the more expensive side of average, but you are paying for quality.  To me it is not prohibitively expensive and the price for the lack of static noise, range and the 10 different channels alone is worth it.
I was picked to trial the Fisher Price Royal Step Stool Potty.

Appearance: The potty comes in 2 colours, pink and blue (althought the pink one is called "pink princess step stool potty"). I trialled the blue one for my son. The main difference between the 2 aside from the colour is that the blue boys potty has a deflector shield, so when your little man is sitting on the potty, it ensures his wee goes in to potty and not all over the floor. I actually found this as quite a good addition to the potty. The potty is extremely easy to put together, you just have to put in the removable bowl and batteries. Instructions were included and easy to understand.

I have to say this is definitely the best looking potty I have seen around, and the quality is just as you wold expect from a Fisher Price product. A very sturdy and well made design.

Performance: My son has been very difficult to toliet train, we had another small potty before we received the Fisher Price one, and he never wanted to sit on it at all. When I put the Royal Step Stool Potty out for him to sit on, he was very interested and sat on it right away (although not for very long!  unsure.gif ).
The potty has a musical rewards system built in, so every time your child does a wee, a different tune starts playing. After his first wee, the potty started making music, and he was very excited. I really like this type of reward system, and my son understood that the music started playing after he did his wee.
It was very easy to remove the bowl and clean it, and put it back into the potty.
I also really love the fact that when you put the lid down on the potty, it can be used as a step stool, and this is very helpful, as my son loves getting on it every morning and night in the bathroom to brush his teeth. You can also lift the seat from the potty and attach it to your toilet seat.

Recommendation: I would definitely recommend this product. The recommended rrp is approx. $60, and I think it is worth it, as you get use out of the potty, a step stool and the removable seat to be used on a normal toilet seat, and when you don't need it anymore the legs are removable so you can store it away easily.

Overall: I'm very happy with the potty, and although we are still toilet training him, I know without a doubt that it has been easier training him with this potty, as we have tried just a plain one before, and he would not sit on them at all. He would pick them up and play with them ohmy.gif. The Fisher Price Potty looks like a proper toilet, and with the musical rewards, he is almost fully trained  biggrin.gif

Recent Comments

Search My Blog

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.