Apparently my 2yo is MORBIDLY OBESE Updated 98 (been to dr)

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

Title says it all really
My DD is 2.5 and is really tall - 104cms.
We went to see CFH nurse 2 days ago for my DS and nurse said oh lets measure and weigh DD while you are here, so yes did her measure and then did her weight 20kilos. Did the BMI calculation and low and behold she is MORBIDLY OBESE.
Does height mean nothing to BMIs????
She is so far off the charts on her height and actually her weight isn't that far above her height %iles.
CFH nurse wants me to see dietican. I really can't see how will help. I grow most of our veges and some fruits. My kids don't have sweets other than homemade occasionally, a treat is a chocolate digestive very very occasionally.
Her Dad was 6.4 and a big guy. Solid. Not fat. Rugby player solid.
I don't know what to do?
I don't see fat when I look at her. I see a really big girl for her age....
cry1.gif cry1.gif cry1.gif

Edited by 3Keiki, 28 July 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#2 YoBagaBaga

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

I am not sure how they work in out for kids,  but BMI usually does take into account height.

#3 MummaDiva

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

I'm not sure if you can just translate the BMI chart for use with kids - this would seem a bit of a leap to me?
Having said that, your DD is about the same weight as my 120cm DD - but my DD is 6.  Your daughter has done a lot of growing in 2.5 years - I think perhaps take on board whatever the nurse has said, but I would most likely have a chat to her GP about whether there is something wrong physically ... just in case.

#4 melanieb530

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

FWIW my almost 5 year old is about that tall and weighs about 14kg

#5 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Maybe your CHN did it wrong - according to this website she is underweight!
Child BMI calculator

Edit to say: My stupid - I entered height as 1.4 instead of 1.04 wacko.gif

Edited by SCARFACE CLAW, 27 July 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#6 JoIsMe

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

It probably wouldn't hurt to see a dietitian, that way you can be assured that she getting the right food in the right amounts. Height is used in the BMi calculation. Dd is 98cm tall and 15.6kg, and same age as your dd. she has always eaten healthily but some times she eats a lot (which is when she is heavier) and sometimes she eats less. We tend to let her eat when she says she is hungry and not restrict volume (should clarify that she does eat at mealtimes with us).

Maybe your dd just eats a lot? I probably wouldn't worry about it but I would see a dietitian just to make sure diet was appropriate. Then as long as she was healthy and getting enough physical activity, I'd let it go and revisit in 6months time.

#7 leosmum

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

That's a tricky one, OP. She is indeed really tall for her age (and I speak as someone with children near the 100th centile for height!).

To put some perspective on it, my DS who is just over 4 is a good 10cm taller than your DD (at least) but weighs a kilo less. He is an absolute beanpole.

My younger DS, just turned 2, is just under 90cm and about 14kg. He looks solid compared to his brother but his weight centile is less than his height.

Hard to imagine that your DD is 'morbidly obese', on the stats you've given. Maybe it is skewed by the fact that she's so young to be that height?? But you're right, BMI should take height into account correctly.

Bizarre! Sorry OP, don't think I've actually been any help...

#8 lynneyours

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Does she look obese OP?  Perhaps post a pic (dressed) if you want EB opinions, or take her to the GP to check.

#9 niban

try this link
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/b...pages/bmi4child

It shows your daughter as overweight rather than obese. For her height and age the 50% is about 17kg

Seeing a dietitian surely couldn't hurt? She may be able to reassure you or suggest slight modifications?

#10 shanny80

She seems more the height and weight of a lot of the 4 yr olds I see doing the 4yr old healthy kids check. Very tall indeed!

#11 meemee75

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

I'm sorry OP  sad.gif that' s not what any mother wants  to hear but I think seeing a dietitian is a good idea. Even good food eaten in large amounts can also cause an issue with weight.
Sometimes we can overestimate/underestimate what we or our kids  are eating but it's important to set them up as best we can without having to struggle to keep weight off  as she gets older .
BMI is also only a guide ....we all carry weight differently .
If it was me I'd be encouraging walking ( instead of the pram) and exercise where possible  just in her normal play. I'd also keep a food diary for a few days maybe to see what's going on and if there is anything I could change/improve on

Good Luck.

BTW-my DD is the same height at 4 yrs old and 15.5kgs (40th percentile).
I'm not trying to make you feel worse but I guess give you a comparison unsure.gif

Edited by meemee75, 27 July 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#12 Jax12

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (SCARFACE CLAW @ 27/07/2012, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Child BMI calculator

No it comes up as a bmi of 18 which is classed as overweight. As we know bmi is just one measure so I would reccomend a trip to your local gp for further info. Good luck.

#13 TheMuriels

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

I think I'd get it checked just to be sure.  Our DD is 5 in September and is 115cms and only weighs 19kgs. According to that child BMI link she is a healthy weight.

Just went back to check records and at 2.5 DD was 98 cms and 14.5kgs.

Edited by TheMuriels, 27 July 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#14 justmeplus4

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

BMI absolutely takes into account height. By my cals your dd is overweight by this standard. I'd see a dietician. Cant hurt. And you might gain something from it? FWIW my DS is 3.8, 105cm and weighs 14.5kg.

BMI absolutely takes into account height. By my cals your dd is overweight by this standard. I'd see a dietician. Cant hurt. And you might gain something from it? FWIW my DS is 3.8, 105cm and weighs 14.5kg.

#15 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

She really is a big girl, and yes she is well solid.But not fat fat. I used to pick up kids all the time that were obese, you would look at them and cringe there whole bodies were just sausages joined together and Mum would be feeding them coke in a bottle. I remember one little girl who was 2.5 and couldn't walk as she was so obese.
I don't know.
DD does eat a lot. Not crap. Just 'mummy more strawberries' 'mummy more cherry matoes' that sort of thing. She doesn't even have a dbl chin for goodness sake!
I have gone thru the internet and found half a dozen different BMI charts and some have obese and some overweight.  I am very confused

#16 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

meemee75 - thats the thing - she does walk. I only have the single pram and a 11month old DS. We walk about 2 ks every day. More some days.
I recognise she is a big girl. I just never thought she was obese. And she is so active I never ever thought was unhealthy

#17 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (Jax12 @ 27/07/2012, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No it comes up as a bmi of 18 which is classed as overweight. As we know bmi is just one measure so I would reccomend a trip to your local gp for further info. Good luck.

I have ammended my post - it's been a long day, lol.

#18 liveworkplay

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

OP, as others have said, it isn't going to hurt to see what they say. Eating healthy is one thing, portion size is a whole other (this is where I personally struggle)

I have really tall girls as well (off the charts for weight and height. My now 6 yr old was over 20kg at 3. However, she was a lot taller then you DD (about 115cm without checking). Both she and my 8 yr old hover around 30kg now, but at 134 and 139cm each, they are in the healthy range. I do worry about DD2 though as she loves her food (healthy mainly) and I try to gently encourage smaller portions as she would, for example, eat a whole quiche if I let her. If I say no, try a piece of fruit instead, she is more then happy.

#19 bluedragon

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (SCARFACE CLAW @ 27/07/2012, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Child BMI calculator

I put the OPs DDs stats into that calculator and it said she was in the overweight category, not obese.

OP it's hard to know without seeing your DD what's going on but BMI is not necessarily a sign of being healthy/unhealthy in adults so may not be the be all and end all with kids too. For example someone with a high muscle percentage and low fat percentage can be in an overweight category of BMI but be fitter and healthier than others in the healthy range.

It certainly can't hurt to see a dietician though, might put your mind at ease if they say there's nothing wrong with her diet and if there is something wrong, say portion size to big or something, you can fix it now before it becomes a bigger problem. At the end of the day the CHN can only make suggestions, she can't force you to put her on a diet or anything.

#20 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

OP. remember its how much she eats as well, not just what she eats.  Take a good honest look at what she eats per day and how much activity she does. I don't think its a huge cause for concern, if you take off a kg she's at the upper end of the healthy weight range with the BMi chart previously provided. BUT a kg for a 2 year old is way different to a kg for an adult. And if that kg turns into 2, to 5, then it is becoming a major problem.

Edited by holy_j, 27 July 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#21 agnodice

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

Does it matter if she's 'overweight' or 'obese'? Fact is she's a bit heavy. Our idea of what kids should look like is warped. You should be able to see kids ribs, not wait until they have a double chin.

I'm sure she eats healthy food, but too many strawberries or cherry tomatoes can cause excess weight gain. At the end of the day it's not about 'weight' or 'body image' - its about conditioning her to reach a point of satiety and to stop eating with less food, so that she can maintain a moderate caloric intake for her whole life.

Good luck, I'm sure the dietitian will be helpful. And don't take it as a personal affront or a judgement on your parenting... I bet you're an awesome mum who has worked really hard to foster a love of healthy food in your beautiful daughter.

#22 cira

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

Body mass index, BMI = mass in kilograms divided by the height in metres squared
                                = 20/(1.04 X 1.04)
                                = 18.49

16-18.5 is underweight, 18.5-25 is healthy.

#23 caesie'n'linc

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

I Just checked DS2s BMI on the link posted earlier and it shows him as 'obese' too.  DS2 is 3yrs old, weighs 18.5-19.5kg and is 104cm tall.  If I put his weight in as 19.5kg (his weight last week when I weighed him after lunch) then he is obese but if I put his weight in as 18.5kg, his weight yesterday when he was washing his hands after going to the toilet (number 2) and before having lunch, then he is a healthy weight.
It's only 1kg difference in weight but a big difference in the results.
DD is obese too...6yrs old, 108cm & 22kg...no idea where the obese part comes from, DD is skinnier than most of the kids in her class, even though she is also taller than them.

My DS2 looks perfectly healthy, I know he eats well and gets plenty of exercise.  I haven't even bothered taking him to the CHN since he was a few mths old, I prefer to see my GP, he at least looks at the big picture and doesn't just rely on charts to decide if a child has a weight problem.

Also, if she walks a lot then maybe some of her weight is muscle?  I've always been told that muscle weighs more than fat...I have no idea if that's true or not though.

#24 Guest_holy_j_*

QUOTE (cira @ 27/07/2012, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Body mass index, BMI = mass in kilograms divided by the height in metres squared
                                = 20/(1.04 X 1.04)
                                = 18.49

16-18.5 is underweight, 18.5-25 is healthy.

for adults. This is a 2 year old.

#25 hiccamups

Would you be willing to post a photo OP?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.