For those with kids with iPods/iPads

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 packysmum

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Do your kids hassle you to buy new games or add ons of games? How often do you let them buy stuff? I know the games are cheap but I'm trying to make my son understand that they still cost $$

#2 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

Yes, my 6yo does. I just tell him "no, it costs money". Sometimes he accepts it, sometimes he throws a tantrum although he's figuring out that tantrum = no new apps for a LONG time whereas asking nicely for a free app when denied an expensive app = free app instead. Most of his apps are maths games, so I have no issues giving him more free ones if he asks nicely with no fuss.

#3 butterflies

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

no I don't let them buy games, the only they can have are the free ones.

although DD#1 has just given me $6 to buy two glee episodes but they don't have the password so I have to type in the password for them to get anything even the free ones.

#4 Kafkaesque

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

My kids have their own iTunes accounts and get $20 iTunes card put on their accounts. They are then free to spend it as they wish. They are 6 and 8 and we have been doing it this way for over a year. Both kids haven't had any credit on the accounts since February. They are really very stingy knowing its "their" money.

#5 vanessa71

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

DD was given some iTunes cards as a present, so if there is anything she wants that costs money, such as songs from the Annoying Orange, then she realises that it is coming off her voucher and she can see what balance she has. TBH, most of the apps we have have either been free or of very little cost.

#6 newkie

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

My kids have had them since Christmas, and at the time I let them each have one paid app and told them the rest had to be free ones. They all got at least one iTunes voucher for their birthdays (actually DD2 hasn't had hers yet), and that is the first time they've had paid apps apart from the ones I've paid for myself on my iPhone and shared (Angry Birds/Plants vs Zombies).

iPod's don't have to be the money guzzlers that DS's have the potential to be, it's up to you to set the rules.

#7 Coffeegirl

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

My two earn their own itunes vouchers that I then load on their accounts.   They each have their own account as one would 'steal' the other's credit when they shared. Once that credit is used up they have to earn more!    

I watch for the cards to go on sale at my local Caltex (often 20% off) and stock up as they make good gifts for birthday parties too.

#8 JRA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

DS is on our one iTunes account, as we all often want the same music. So everything is together.

We have a book which keeps track of his spending for his "stuff" this includes tanks etc on world of tanks. He has rarely bought stuff for his iPod, as in games etc.

#9 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

My 7 year old has only had an Ipod for a few months and she doesn't really hassle me for apps. She got an itunes card in April and hasn't use it yet. I mainly get free apps for it.

DD use the ipod mostly for music (mostly CDs we already had).

#10 ~JASB~

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 13/07/2012, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DS is on our one iTunes account, as we all often want the same music. So everything is together.

I'm going to risk sounding like an idiot wink.gif  JRA, can you (or anyone) please tell me how this works?  I have my own iPod Touch, and I've bought DS#1 one for his birthday coming up.  He listens to a lot of the same music as me.  Using the same iTunes account, can I have songs on both iPods, that I've only paid for once?  How does that work?

Bit of a novice wink.gif

#11 Unatheowl

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Dd and ds have an iPad each.  Dd is only 2 so she doesn't realize how it works  ph34r.gif

Ds went through a stage where he would constantly ask for a new game.  We made a rule that he would delete an old game in place of the new.  He couldn't bear to delete any games. original.gif

#12 -river-

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

Our kids only get free apps. DD has asked but she accepts that we are not purchasing any.

#13 SummerStar

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

Mine don't ask but they get spending money every school holidays and they often use some to buy a voucher. Which they usually spend in a day but they know if they do it's gone until the next one.

#14 FeralMinx

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

I keep a tab on what apps have gone free and download them so the kids always have something new to try for no outlay.

#15 sophiasmum

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

Yes they do. They have some credit on a gift voucher, but they know to use it wisely and ALWAYS ask. But most of the time we only get the free stuff & use the credit for songs they really want.

#16 JRA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

I'm going to risk sounding like an idiot  JRA, can you (or anyone) please tell me how this works? I have my own iPod Touch, and I've bought DS#1 one for his birthday coming up. He listens to a lot of the same music as me. Using the same iTunes account, can I have songs on both iPods, that I've only paid for once? How does that work?

Yes you can.

Everything on our house is on the same account. They just use the same account. I am not sure if there is anything trickier than that. I will check with Dh.

Of course it does mean that when he is older and wants more perhaps it may get trickier, but it works for us now, so we are happy.

#17 JRA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

On the syncing, you can just set up different rules for different devices in the one account. You can specify which music playlists/artists etc go to which device

#18 KNL909

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

DD is happy with the free apps.

#19 Sunny003

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

I thought the syncing was through iCloud?

I really don't need spiderman and cut the ripe on my phone Chase! LOL it came up automatically, I didn't have to plug into the computer or anything.
Reminds me, I need to disable that wink.gif

#20 morgansacre

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Both my girls have both. The oldest gets her own money so I don't have to worry about her. The youngest, 15, will ask say once a month for a specific game but it's mostly for ebooks she asks for, as she's not a real book reader, I won't say no to this, but she only asks rarely.

Why not set up a chore that they can do to earn the money for the game or games they want. Something that you mostly do but they can take over once in a while to earn the money...like putting the dishes away, dusting, emptying the smaller garbage bins, cleaning their room, etc

This way they know if they want the game they have to work to earn it.

Lynn

Edited by morgansacre, 14 July 2012 - 09:45 AM.

#21 lactasticmama

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

Nope. And if she asks, I usually get her to earn it wink.gif Though if it's a free game I'll get her one, but paid I'll use it as a reward.

Most of the time I just surprise her with new apps/games. She has enough that she doesn't ask anyway.

#22 IsolaBella

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

DS2's ipad is being set up for educational purposes only.

The only games on DH's ipod Touch and iPad (which the kids sometimes use when traveling) for the kids are just angry birds and cut the rope free versions. We are not paying for games for  the kids.

Like PP we have one iTunes account which the whole family uses. I have 4 x old 3rd Gen Nano's (had some movies and music on for the kids plus one for me - I like the old Nano), 2 x iPad, 1 x iPod Touch and 1 x iPhone 4 all on the same account. Some use the Cloud for most synching, others use the computer. Oh yeah, forgot to add the physical computer with the account too.

#23 Daisy Goat

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

Most apps on my boys iPads are educational. But they have games too. They "earn" these....sometimes I "earn" them and get them a new game  as a way to earn me some peace!

I have one iTunes acct on my laptop that syncs their iPads and mine and also my iPhone.

AS JRA said you can sync each one individually. The iTunes acct recognises which device you have plugged in and tells you in the sidebar e.g.:DaisyGoats iPad or DaisyGoats iPhone..... and shows you which apps you have installed on that device.

This way you only pay for the app once not for each device. It also enables you to keep control of what they have on their device.

I have the boys iPads locked from any purchases. I also have the rating set to G only so that they cannot access any You tube that is rated unsuitable for them. Their iPads are also set with restrictions to adding or deleting anything so that they can't accidentally delete apps.

Edited by Daisy Goat, 14 July 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#24 Sif

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

All my boys devices are on my account and I process all purchases and installations myself, so yep, I do hear, 'Can you get me...' a fair bit. I get them free apps when I have spare time. Purchased apps are bought from intunes vouchers they get for birthdays and Christmas (for my kids that's roughly 20 dollars every six months). They understand that all purchases are a) vetted by me and b) must be shared with everyone (as we're all on one account). This works well with our family philosophy.

#25 Melidia

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

My DS was particularly bad with this.  He had also worked out that if I put the password in and downloaded something for him and he kept browsing the app store he could download more stuff without reentering the password for that session - which has cost me money lol!

So I've taught him what the word 'FREE' looks like and have told him he can only have apps that have this word next to them.  

I also disable the wifi connection after downloading so if it's reactivated it will prompt for the password for any more downloads lol  original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.