• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

#1 Snagglepussed

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

New thread time!

Link to last thread here

#2 catmeow82

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

GOLD! The thread has been here for over 24hrs and I get gold!

#3 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

LOL!  It has been a bit quiet lately.

#4 millej13

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

Hi All!!!!

Thought I'd pop in with an update on my no-sugar journey!!

I am just gone 30 weeks pregnant with my second baby- so far I've put on 5kgs and all belly only
When pregnant with my now 2yo DS I put on 17 kg, was horribly fluidy, and I suffered HELLP syndrome which was very dangerous for he and I
This time in pregnancy the only thing I've done differently is eliminate sugar from my diet and I feel the benefits to my health this pregnancy are remarkable- have not had any colds or illness- still managed to work full time etc and energy levels are great! Plus no sign of any HELLP like symptoms which I was very fearful of!!

I don't struggle with the sugar cravings anymore- occasionally I will indulge if it is a special occasion, however I always feel a bit 'off' afterwards

I still occasionally miss fruit- or having a flavored fruity drink- but I substitute with sparkling water, and I add half a banana to my plain muesli and some nuts too if I feel like a sweeter brekky

Hope you are all traveling well on your sugar journey!!

#5 KateDV

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

Hi!
I'm new on here, and I was immediately caught by your post - I love it!
I am definitely into food for nutrition and think that sugar is responsible for a lot of out health issues now and later in life. I've only become aware of this in the last 5-6 months or so, eating and choosing nutritious food is becoming easier, though I still havekmfbts of weakness sad.gif I'm newly pregnant as well for the first time, so just wondering if you could tell me your general daily diet and any tips?
What I've discovered in the last 2 weeks is that being well prepared is key!!
Thanks in advance!!

quote name='millej13' date='15/07/2012, 06:52 AM' post='14744807']
Hi All!!!!

Thought I'd pop in with an update on my no-sugar journey!!

I am just gone 30 weeks pregnant with my second baby- so far I've put on 5kgs and all belly only
When pregnant with my now 2yo DS I put on 17 kg, was horribly fluidy, and I suffered HELLP syndrome which was very dangerous for he and I
This time in pregnancy the only thing I've done differently is eliminate sugar from my diet and I feel the benefits to my health this pregnancy are remarkable- have not had any colds or illness- still managed to work full time etc and energy levels are great! Plus no sign of any HELLP like symptoms which I was very fearful of!!

I don't struggle with the sugar cravings anymore- occasionally I will indulge if it is a special occasion, however I always feel a bit 'off' afterwards

I still occasionally miss fruit- or having a flavored fruity drink- but I substitute with sparkling water, and I add half a banana to my plain muesli and some nuts too if I feel like a sweeter brekky

Hope you are all traveling well on your sugar journey!!
[/quote]

#6 tara99

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hello! I'd love to join you all.

I had vaguely heard of Sweet Poison for several months, but dismissed it as yet another fad with likely little real science behind it. But I finally looked into it and am impressed by the evidence & underlying science to support it (I have a science background), and I'm nearly sold! The evidence isn't 100% solid, but I can't think what harm it could do to cut out fructose anyway even if it is wrong!

So my husband, kids & I are starting fructose free on Monday. I'm currently making a list of fructose free breakfasts, lunches & snacks we can make. Dinners will be easy I reckon. Tomorrow I'll go shopping & restock the pantry.

I had a baby a few weeks ago and have 10kg more weight to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and I'd like to lose about 5kg on top of that. But weight loss isn't my primary goal.

I'm just hoping I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't find withdrawal too hard!!

#7 tara99

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hello? Anyone still around? Or maybe I'm just talking to myself original.gif
Day 1 fructose free & the family survived.
I had barely any cravings or symptoms. How long did it take others to feel the withdrawals?

#8 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hi tara!  It has definitely been a little quiet in here.

I was alright for the first 2 days? And then I started getting rotten headaches.  Brain fog lifted about week 2, addiction broken by week 4.

#9 matt1972

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Can I please get a brief run down on what it means to go sugar free and how people go about achieving that?

#10 tara99

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (SexyCat @ 14/08/2012, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was alright for the first 2 days? And then I started getting rotten headaches.  Brain fog lifted about week 2, addiction broken by week 4.

Today is day 3. No headaches or anything yet, but I'm bracing myself!! I haven't really struggled at all yet, although I'm not sure how I'd go if I were in a room full of people eating yummy cakes!!!

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 15/08/2012, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I please get a brief run down on what it means to go sugar free and how people go about achieving that?

http://sweetpoison.com.au/
I assume most people are following this type of thing.

It's avoiding most sugars - fructose, sucrose are the main ones.
So limited fruit (2 pieces/day for adults), no biscuits/cakes. No tomato sauce, other sauces/condiments with sugar. No breads with sugar.
But all other carbs are allowed.
Once you've gone through withdrawal you can have small amounts of dextrose/glucose (because they contain no fructose).

The idea is that fructose is metabolised by the liver to be converted to fat, and is converted to a type of fat that very easily causes cholesterol deposits in arteries & raises triglycerides.
Fructose also bypasses our normal appetite control system, so you can eat heaps of it without your body telling you it's had enough. It messes with the whole appetite system so you actually end up eating too much of everything.

#11 tara99

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

5 days in & no cravings or withdrawals yet. I'm not really missing sugar much at all. Yay! Hopefully some baby weight starts to drop off soon.

#12 tara99

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

I'm just going to keep on talking to myself here for the fun of it original.gif
1 week down & not really missing sugar. Went to a birthday party yesterday & resisted all the sugar. I didn't even really feel tempted.
I've lost about a kg, but since I've just had a baby I may have lost that weight regardless of my diet.

#13 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Back on the FF bandwagon with a determined effort!!

Have been fighting a sore throat for over a week, and it's now degenerated into (at best) a head cold and at worst, the 7 week flu that's been knocking people out around here.

As usual, my health and not feeling like death at work is the impetus needed!  I don't need to lose any more weight, and I'm not gaining, so that hasn't been impetus enough, but dying from the sinus!?!

I'm there, baby!

#14 tara99

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

My family has one of these viruses going around too sad.gif
I've lost 1.5 kg in 2 weeks.
We ate sugar at a birthday party on the weekend but found it easy to just eat small portions then go back to fructose-free.

#15 sleeplessmamma

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

I have been lurking around here for a while and thinking about trying to slowly cut sugar out of our diets. I have always had a massive sweet tooth so this will be hard going! Also was my sons b'day on the w'end so LOTS of leftover cake!
I did start a couple of weeks ago and had about a week where I cut down on sugar then had a crappy w'end w my 4 month old sleeping badly so have regressed since then. I have, however, completely cut out sugar in tea and coffee and maintained that.
Is there anyone who has managed to just massively reduce, rather than stop, sugar intake? I know that I'm the personality type to never be able to completely cut it out as I really enjoy food but would like to reduce considerably.

#16 LoveMy3Kids

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:14 PM

Our family has now been fructose free (mostly) for just over a year now. We have occasional sugary treats but find that we can stop at just one or eat party food at a party and not feel the need to keep eating it later. The kids are only restricted at home, so they don't feel like they're missing out when they're with other kids.

I make dextrose sweetened biscuits, muffins etc and I buy lollies sweetened with dextrose. I try to limit carbs for myself but not for the kids. I've found that as more time goes by, being sugar free is easier and is now just a part of life for us.

#17 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (sleeplessmamma @ 02/09/2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there anyone who has managed to just massively reduce, rather than stop, sugar intake? I know that I'm the personality type to never be able to completely cut it out as I really enjoy food but would like to reduce considerably.

I quit completely, but have now allowed some back into my diet.

I do find I enjoy "food" without needing sugar.  I don't NEED crap to survive.  But I'm also not going to  go out of my way to hassle waiters/chefs at restaurants to find out if my meal is fructose free, IFKWIM.

I promise you - you'll taste SO much more flavour in your foods if you cut it out completely, detox, then just allow it back in for parties and restaurant meals!

#18 sleeplessmamma

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

Another question! I am breast feeding so also with that am a bit reluctant to completely cut out sugar and experience withdrawals. DS2 is 4 1/2 months so will still be BF for at least another 8 months.
On the plus side I love cheese so am happy to substitute this for chocolate cake original.gif

#19 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Sarah Wilson has a blog/ebook called I Quit Sugar which is an 8 week withdrawal, ending up fructose free, if you want to investigate that, rather than going cold turkey.

Honestly, the withdrawals are over pretty quickly.  for me, the first 2 weeks were horrible, the next 2 weeks I spent eating everything on the allowed list in sight, then by week 5, I was done.

#20 thebradybunch

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

Hi can i join please???

#21 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

Well I was going to wait till I could read the Sweet Poison Quit Plan book but there are still 4 "reserves" ahead of me at the library so I decided to start off myself from what I've read on EB.

Today was my first day giving up sugar and it's been okay. Meals aren't too tricky as I tend to have dinner leftovers for lunch most days, but snacks were harder. I work a desk job and usually have museli bars of some kind or upngos for morning and afternoon tea. So today I substituted for tuna, crackers and a handful of nuts.

I have a lot of weight to lose (23kg) and I'm *hoping* going sugar free will curb my cravings.

I've been reading lots of nutrition labels and even non sugary things still seem to have a fair bit. Eg weetbix has 3.3g per 100g, can tomatos 3.3 etc - is that low enough in sugar to eat? Is there a general guideline for how many sugar grams in a serving is okay?

Edited by JBaby, 03 September 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#22 sleeplessmamma

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (NapCat @ 03/09/2012, 06:20 PM)
14882941[/url]']
Sarah Wilson has a blog/ebook called I Quit Sugar which is an 8 week withdrawal, ending up fructose free, if you want to investigate that, rather than going cold turkey.

Honestly, the withdrawals are over pretty quickly.  for me, the first 2 weeks were horrible, the next 2 weeks I spent eating everything on the allowed list in sight, then by week 5, I was done.

I had a look at Sarah Wilson's site aaages ago when I first saw this thread but I think I was pregnant then so just put it at the back of my mind. I think slowly cutting down will probably suit me better while I have a baby hanging off my boob original.gif
Completely cutting out sugar for a while is a long term goal though.
My biggest problem now is I turn to sugar when I'm stressed and tired, I'm now 2 years not having slept through the night w DS1 being a shocking sleeper and now w a new baby too. I wanted to really have a good crack today and have already eaten all the leftover b'day cake and cupcakes in the house because I was tired, stressed and frustrated! Not a good start sad.gif

#23 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (JBaby @ 03/09/2012, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been reading lots of nutrition labels and even non sugary things still seem to have a fair bit. Eg weetbix has 3.3g per 100g, can tomatos 3.3 etc - is that low enough in sugar to eat? Is there a general guideline for how many sugar grams in a serving is okay?

Step 1:   Check ingredient list for any added fructose/sucrose/fruit juice/fruit concentrate/honey/agave/sugar  

Step 2: If any of these are present, check nutritional panel.  Over 3g, put it back on the shelf.

Step 3: If no sugars present, check for dairy - 4% is the glucose content of milk.  Grains break down to glucose, so there will be a % of sugars attributable to these.  Fruits and vegetables contain fructose. My rule for these is if it's "just fruit" or "just vegetables" with no extra added sugar in the ingredient list, it's acceptable, so long as it still has the fibre (ruling out juice).  don't eat fruit in syrup, the sugar in the syrup will have soaked into the fruit.  If you must have tinned fruit, have in juice.  Fresh is better.

#24 PopperPenguin

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

Can I join?

My sister has been doing this for 8 or 9 months and has lost a lot of weight and seems a lot healthier.

DH has gained about 20 kg in the last 2 years, and I have never had a wonderful diet but haven't got a weight problem.

I want to do this cold turkey as I don't think I could do it by slowly cutting things out - I'd never end up becoming sugar free.

But I am a MASSIVE sugar addict. I eat chocolate every day. I have several litres of coke a day. Cakes, biscuits, juice, cordial. I don't think I eat much that doesn't contain sugar.

I don't know HOW I'm going to be able to do this. I want to be healthier, I want to lose the little bit of baby weight I gained, and I want to support DH by doing this with him too.

#25 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (BeagleBoy @ 04/09/2012, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I am a MASSIVE sugar addict. I eat chocolate every day. I have several litres of coke a day. Cakes, biscuits, juice, cordial. I don't think I eat much that doesn't contain sugar.

I don't know HOW I'm going to be able to do this. I want to be healthier, I want to lose the little bit of baby weight I gained, and I want to support DH by doing this with him too.

Your first step is to identify WHEN you eat sugar, and replace it with either a non-sugary food, or an activity.

e.g. - If you snack on chocolate while watching Neighbours, either replace the chocolate with a banana, or go for a walk instead of watching the TV

coke - replace with diet/zero until you're detoxed.   If you're not into artificial sweeteners, some Bickfords diet lime in sparkling mineral water is very refreshing.  I now often just drink the sparkling, with no cordial.

The first 3 weeks or so are going to suck.  I do strongly recommend getting the Sweet Poison Quit Plan as it really steps you through your replacement foods, and how to break the habit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.