Newbie/ first scan next week.... Kinda freaking out !

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Faith86

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

Hi all!    I am really new to this all and kinda freaking out abit!! My husband and I found out we are pregnant only on Sunday after trying for  over a year! Came as a wonderful shock because I was 99% sure I was getting my period - just did the test because I was feeling very emotional and wanted to cry for no reason!!
I have been to a GP to confirm and have first scan next week as my periods are very irregular..  The Doctor I went to was very rude - so now I need to find a caring dr as I'm one to stress out about everything !!
Fingers crossed scan will go well eeeeek how will I hold a full bladder in is beyond me.
Just wondering where everyone is from? How they are feeling (HOpefully I'm not the only crazy person) ?? And maybe someone to point me in the right direction!!
Looking forward to going on this journey with you all x

#2 lisahoping

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

First of all......huge congrats faith! How exciting!It's also a bit overwhelming and surreal too eh?! I had my freak out about a week ago lol...I'm currently 6 weeks 4 days and had my dating scan yesterday, mainly cos I'm considered as high risk, due to my age. Let me tell you I was freaking about everything...blighted ovums, ectopics and although google can be an amazing source of knowledge, there are times when google definitely isn't your friend! LolI was acting like a nutter basically original.gif
Def find a doctor you're comfortable with. Mine has been amazing at reassuring me and helpimg me put my worries into perspective.
The scan will be great. I struggled to hold in the water. I w so uncomfortable....I had to let some out! I didn't think I could do that....i thought if i opened he flood gates thered be nothing left. you learn something new everyday original.gif

#3 Sassy Dingo

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

I had my scan yesterday. Be prepared it may be an internal one (mine was) the benefit for that was that I didn't have to drink all the water like other ladies.

Also, you won't see much. Mine was a little kidney bean. I could see the flickering of the heart though so that was very special.

#4 christa86

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

hi guys good luck on your scans, hope that your jelly bean shows for you.

I went for myo first scan last week and the baby didnt show on the ultrasound. They told me i was between 4-6 weeks. They said it may be a fake pregnancy,  they told me to come back next week. So yesterday I went back for another ultrasound and the baby showed up in the scan with a yolk sac ect and they said i was about 7 weeks. They also found a massive 7cm cyst on my right ovary that has attached itself to my uterus. Im waiting on the doctors to call me back and get me a referal to a gyno. Cant wait til the cyst is removed, been sore for months and everytime i did tests nothing showed up. Iam very amazed how nothing was picked up months ago but just glad they found it and im not going crazy. wonder how they are gonna remove it gonna be interesting

#5 Faith86

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

Lisahoping: Hi, yes it is definitely overwhelming and surreal! It's so great to have this site to feel like I'm not the only one acting crazy.. I have mini freak out's pretty regularly lol but I've given up and have decided to just be excited and enjoy the ride and do everything I can to keep the bub sticky wink.gif (might be going a bit over the top with foods we are not meant to eat)  Haha I was told if bladder to full they make u let some out!! You did well!! That's mind boggling to me lol. I drink a 600mL water n have to pee three times...  I few lovely people have suggested some lovely dr's biggrin.gif . When's your next appt?? Good luck with everything and thanks again for replying rolleyes.gif
Sassy dingo: eeeek I have heard about the internal one!! blink.gif I'll just focus on that little kidney bean and will all be worth it
Bubble: I think I should be around 6-7 weeks.. Not exactly sure because Im very irregular . Fingers crossed far enough along to see something wink.gif I keep telling myself I only have to hold the 1litre for an hour..
Christa: Congratulations on seeing your baby! I bet it was a nervous wait!! Good luck with cyst ! Have you heard anything yet? Xx

#6 lisahoping

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hi faith86,
My next appointments tomorrow with my doc, just to review the scan results and find out what next! LolI'm hoping for another ultrasound in the next couple of weeks, but will wait and see what he says. My freaks still continue.....at least I'm consistent  biggrin.gif I'm 7 weeks and 1 day today and definitely counting! 13 weeks seems like an eternity.
How are you doing?

#7 kimliz

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

I just wanted to add something about drinking water before your scan. I have always been told about a litre, and have done it and been in excruciating pain and always had to let heaps out. This time I went to a wonderful specialized ultrasound for women place and they told me I only had to drink 2 cups or 500 mls. It was plenty! My advice would be to drink the 2 cups and see how you feel 10 mins before you go in.

I used to dread keeping all that water in. Not anymore.

#8 Faith86

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

Kimliz: thanks for the tip!! I'm sure they say a litre just to make sure people actually drink enough. Because I know a few of my friends have to empty half out!
Lisahoping: haha I thought I was doing well but have had a freak out again today. With a few bad cramps and pains.. But I keep reading elsewhere that this is normal so trying to stay relaxed till scan on Wednesday! Good luck tomorrow wink.gif just beg him for a scan and act like a crazy person (he might let you have another scan to settle your mind then). X

#9 lisahoping

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:09 PM

Hi faith,
I've had heaps of cramps and pulls and pokes, I believe it's just your bod getting ready for the pregnancy. Saw my doc today, he was really pleased with the scan results but unfortunately I can't have another scan on Medicare until the nt twelve week scan...sooo quite a long wait sad.gif unfortunately I can't afford to do one privately at the moment. Hey ho.
Good luck with yours tomorrow. Hope it ll goes well...let us know!
And kimlz s right. I will never drink that much again. During the San she kept sending me to the loo to empty some. She kept saying count to 20, count to 30 and then finally wee for a minute! Andi still had heaps left!  ohmy.gif

#10 Faith86

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

I survived and didn't pee myself! biggrin.gif I actually poured a litre of water in the jug and thought I don't know how this is going to fit!! Drank half between 6-7am slowly and on the way to scan finished it about 7:30 for scan at 8. They wanted it to be finished by 7 but all went smoothly and I was only busting just before scan which was quick.

So the scan dated me at only 5w5d sad.gif which means dr and my dates were out because my period is irregular there was always the possibility but I was pretty sure I was at least 6weeks. I guess only 2 days off..  So a bit disappointed because didn't get to see anything he said all looks normal and there is no bleeding so I guess that's good. Would have likes the reassurance of a heart beat! Still feel like I'm living a dream !
He said come back next week do not sure whether to go in at 6w6d or 7w4d to be safe but seems so far away! I'm with Medicare as well (I can't afford private either and with friends experience we are almost better off). My scan didn't cost anything hopefully next one is free as well! I didn't ask but they didn't mention it either!
It is a long wait but at least you know everything is fine and dr is happy  biggrin.gif Hope the next few weeks go quickly for all of us  wink.gif I'm sure in a few months we will be complaining how quick the time went!!!

#11 princessvixen

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hi Faith 86.I only did a pregnancy test a week ago and had it confirmed Friday.It was a complete shock as it was only the 3rd month my partner and I had been trying.I have had so many emotions over the last week!My world has changed.I am so excited, nervous, scared, terrified and so much more.

I am so glad I found this forum as I can talk to people who are in exactly in the same boat.Due when I am due(Feb  27th-my little cherub is 5.5 weeks along) and offer support.

Cheers
PV

#12 Lostlittlebug

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Congratulations!!!
When I had my dating scan last week, I downed less than 750mls.. You could see my bladder filling up on the us.. And towards the end it even started to squish my uterus... Why must we drink so much water lol.. Oh, and the internal scans aren't so bad.. Easier than a pap smear..  biggrin.gif

#13 Natttmumm

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

I know how you are feeling... I had the second scan today as the first one was too early to confirm much at 5 weeks except rule out an ectopic. I was freaking out a bit and just couldnt drink the water as it was making me vomit. When i got the place I told the lady I didnt drink the water and she said that was fine. It was an internal scan anyway so I shouldnt have worried and it showed 8 weeks which is great as I was only expecting 7. Counting down the next 4 weeks of nausea and tiredness. Please let this pass by 12 weeks so I can get back to playing with the kids who are wondering why I cant get off the lounge.

#14 1miss2littlemen

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

YAY! Congratulations!! I hope that everything went well biggrin.gif

#15 sydneymama78

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

I had an internal scan which I brought forward 5 days because of recurring pain on the upper right side of my abdomen, which I convinced myself was an ectopic pregnancy. She dated it as 5 weeks 3 days - and where it should be - but no heartbeat because it was too early. I went back 10 days later at 7 weeks 5 days and the sac had grown and there was a 150beat heart rate. Lovely, absolutely worth the minor discomfort of the internal scan, which you forget about when you look up at the screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.