Professional photos at the birth

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 EBmel

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

We've just posted an article on a new trend: having a professional photographer take photos of your labour/baby's birth.
www.essentialbaby.com.au/birth/birth-options/birth-of-a-new-art-form-professional-labour-photos-20120619-20lck.html

"I want to see that moment when I'm in labour," said Rhisie Hentges, who paid $1895  to a photographer document the birth of   her first child.  (As it happened, she had a Caesarean section and the   photographer wasn't allowed in the operating room, although she got many   artful shots  before and after.)

We've got a poll at the end of the article for you to have your say, but what do you think - are happy snaps taken by your partner enough, or would you prefer professional photos of the big day?

#2 eachschoolholidays

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Definitely not for me...  Would much prefer a professional shoot a week later when everyone is looking slighty cleaner...

#3 Teeny Bopper

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

As much as I love artsy photography, for me, it is neither the time nor the place for that kind of thing. I don't want any cameras in the delivery suite at all. We have a whole lifetime to capture photographs together, do we really need to start when we're covered in blood, sweat, tears and goodness knows what else??

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

I have not had any children yet, however it's not something i would be doing when we get there.

#5 briandrea

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

Yes! We had our second child's birth photographed by a professional photographer. Being a photographer myself and a birth educator meant capturing those moments was incredibly important to me. The slideshow is in my sig if anyone cares to have a look. It is all tasteful and the photos from the day are the most precious photographs I own.

#6 4kidlets

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

No - not something  I would want to do and not something  I would want to spend nearly $2000 on doing.

#7 FeralEsme

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

I wouldn't have a professional there no, but my DH did take some photos. I wouldn't view it as a wise way to spend $2000.

#8 peking homunculus

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

This is a story about an American photographer and an American trend. How relevant is it?

When I was travelling, I met a bloke who worked for 9 monhs of the year and travelled for 3 months. Everyone else had their cameras out every day and was busy snapping all the time. He had no camera. I asked him about it and he told me that he lost his camera on the trip and discovered that without it, he remembered more of the trip and the things he saw.

At the time I was intrigued, but I actually think he had a point. I have given birth three times and have no photos to show of the process. I didn't want any. But I have a very clear picture in my mind of what I went through and how I felt. I feel having a photo would modify my memory and make it more visual and less emotional.

#9 Stellajoy

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

I think if you have the money go for it.

This is one of the most amazing ones i have seen

be aware the video will make you cry.

http://www.youcantbeserious.com.au/blog/20...rbirth-of-theo/

#10 briandrea

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

I just wanted to add that I paid much less than $2000 (would certainly not have been able to afford that!!) and had all 80 photos printed for me professionally plus the slideshow.

#11 Futureself

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

I wouldn't do professional ones but plan for DH to have the camera there.

#12 amabanana

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (Stellajoy @ 19/06/2012, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beautiful.

Now I have to go and do the kinder pick up with red eyes!

If I had the money I would do it for sure.  I don't have many pics of my labour/births as DH wanted to be in the moment and supporting me (of course!). I wish I had more.

#13 Baggy

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

I didn't get any done - DP never got around to taking any either (too caught up in everything I suppose)

But I have seen some beautiful photographs and if I had my time over I would definitely get some done original.gif

Edited by Baggy, 19 June 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#14 la di dah

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

I would like to keep a huge electro-magnet by the bed for the express purpose of defying cameras of all types.

Why isn't that an option in the polls?

#15 peking homunculus

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Didn't make me cry. It made birth look like a TV show, not real life. There was no colour, there was a "soundtrack", there was no blood and goop. A sterilised, sanitised version of birth.

But I'm an unemotional b**ch so what do I know!

#16 Stellajoy

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Didn't make me cry. It made birth look like a TV show, not real life. There was no colour, there was a "soundtrack", there was no blood and goop. A sterilised, sanitised version of birth.

Isn't that kind of the point though? the same as wedding photographers. You pay them to make you look good, and to create nice "memories" of the day. Who wants 'reality' shots of their wedding day? a nice photo of you sweating while struggling into your dress or having your best friend push in your fat rolls? your fat alcoholic uncle dave passed out in the bushes at the reception?

#17 Guest_Telmatiaeos_*

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (peking homunculus @ 19/06/2012, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was travelling, I met a bloke who worked for 9 monhs of the year and travelled for 3 months. Everyone else had their cameras out every day and was busy snapping all the time. He had no camera. I asked him about it and he told me that he lost his camera on the trip and discovered that without it, he remembered more of the trip and the things he saw.

At the time I was intrigued, but I actually think he had a point. I have given birth three times and have no photos to show of the process. I didn't want any. But I have a very clear picture in my mind of what I went through and how I felt. I feel having a photo would modify my memory and make it more visual and less emotional.

Yep.  I agree with this.  Sometimes the process of photography diminishes the experience.

#18 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

when I gave birth my sister and DH were both there- she took some great shots (not the actual birth, that was off limits!), including DH cutting the umbilical cord. it was great as DH did not need to worry about photos.
i would consider a professional photographer with tight guidelines given but would prefer a close family member.

#19 Frockme

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Couldnt think of anything worse at that time.  mellow.gif

#20 Paddlepop

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

No way that I would have wanted a professional photographer there. A medical textbook photographer might have been found my DD's birth interesting though. ARM, syntocinon drip, scalp monitor, epidural, catheter, medically dangerous BP spike causing staff and equipment to suddenly appear in my room, forceps delivery with legs up in stirrups, 4th degree perineal tearing (included partial tearing of anal sphincter muscle), rectovaginal fistula and lots of blood all over the floor. Very glamorous. I got to hold my DD very briefly before I was taken to theatre for an hour of stitching where I'm fairly sure I went into shock, but I can't remember because I either fell asleep or passed out. These are not things I need expensive photos of.

My husband took enough photos for me to be satisfied, including me set up in the stirrups as staff were getting gowned and gloved, our daughter as she was first placed onto my chest, the paediatrician having to hold her legs still to stop her from kicking him (lol!) and her in her humidicrib with her bum to the world.

For me there are much better things to spend that sort of money on.  If I was to have professional photos taken it would be once everyone was bathed and dressed, and feeing much more relaxed and happy.

#21 lactasticmama

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

I'm hoping to have someone to take photos of DD3's birth. I have found someone, and she's hoping to be there.

DH took some photos during my c/s of DD2, and the photos turned out completely blurry (so blurry, you can't see a thing) sad.gif Not his fault as the focus settings seemed to have been bumped. Since I really don't wanna risk that again, I want someone who knows her way around a DSLR to capture those moments. Plus DH has other things to do at that time wink.gif

Edited by PippityPip, 19 June 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#22 vintage.blue

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

It's not for me, but then I don't look so great at the end of pregnancy. I swell up due to pre-eclampsia and look horrible!!

#23 Oriental lily

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Considering my hair looks lke a bird nest during labour ( think Linda Blair from the exorcist) then no. I have some lovely shots of my three girls together after the birth of my last baby which are lovely. Nice and natural.

Quick happy ( cheap) snaps is all I need.

#24 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (briandrea @ 19/06/2012, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes! We had our second child's birth photographed by a professional photographer. Being a photographer myself and a birth educator meant capturing those moments was incredibly important to me. The slideshow is in my sig if anyone cares to have a look. It is all tasteful and the photos from the day are the most precious photographs I own.

its not the sort of thing i would do, but these videos are both so beautiful  blush.gif   wub.gif

#25 mondayschild

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

I've been shooting births for almost nine years mostly for existing clients who have started or expanded a family. It is immensely rewarding for both my clients and myself, I consider it a privilege to be at such a private moment in someone's life. Each to his own however.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.