Thailand travellers thread

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Ashtonsmum

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

Thought I would start a Thailand thread

Dh and our two boys (7) and (3) are heading to Thailand for 10 days in September. Its our first trip there. We will be staying at the Centara Kata Resort, which has pretty good reviews. We dont really have a huge lot planned apart from a pi pi island tour and to take the kids to the water park.

Anyone else have any great  ideas of things to do/see?

#2 pen*

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

I'm going in September with my DH and our four year old twins.

Someone responded to a thread I started looking for info about Malaysia a posting a link to a blog http://www.ourtravellifestyle.com/travel-d...ow-in-thailand/

Which is pretty sensational. (thank you Bron)

I'm looking forward to it too- we are flying into Bangkok and then travelling down through Malaysia to Singapore.  Can't wait.  

Last time I was there was about ten years ago, DH was still a vegetarian! He eats meat and fish now and cant wait to go and start eating!

#3 TheSmithFamily

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

We have been to Phuket in the past, 1.5 years ago.

http://coopsnpeps.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/...d-paradise.html

Bangkok late 2010 (unscheduled kind of side trip from Cambodia)

We head to Chiang Mai in northern Thailand in 24 days time...for 3 weeks...

Cannot wait!

We travel as a family of 5 for the first time! We travel with our son who uses a wheelchair , our soon to be 4 year old and our baby x

Wishing you both fantastic adventures!

Bron.

#4 Ashtonsmum

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

Just over 3 weeks til we go to Thailand, can't wait. The boys are both so excited about going on a plane, and of course dino golf blink.gif  Ashton only wants to go to Thailand for the Dino golf. I hope its as fun as he is anticipating! LOL!!

#5 Missmousie

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Hi!

We've been to Thailand a couple of times, we stayed at Karon beach (just near Kata) not long ago... I recommend seeing the sunset from the beach, and the Phuket Town night markets. The markets only run on weekend nights, and there's a great mix of tourists and locals. There are all sorts of stalls with clothes, food, bags etc etc. Its an awesome atmosphere, and something I wouldn't miss!

#6 ChunkyChook

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

I haven't been, yet! Booked for 10 days at the start of March. Will be heading to Phuket with out DD. Bit excited!
Will be following this thread.

#7 james5

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Many places in Thailand to visit and enjoy your holidays in Thailand.

#8 My-3-Pinks

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

We are heading to Thailand in just over 3 weeks too and it will be our first time.  We are going to Fantasea and on an elephant ride as it was part of the hotel package but I've been told that Fantasea is well worth it by a couple of people.  

Missmousie - DH was only asking me last night if there would be any night markets so glad there are some worth going to.

We are getting quite excited now!  I was just googling where to get some Thai Baht from as I think I read somewhere Australia Post were meant to be ok with exchange rates but I'm not sure......... The only thing I am not looking forward to is the long flight there but the holiday at the end should be worth it wink.gif

#9 261071v

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Get some thai baht at a Thai ATM. there are plenty at the airport and you get a better rate there rather than here.

#10 carls888

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

We love Thailand and went again in April this year.
We have been 7 times and explored heaps. The people and the food are awesome.

Definately wait until you are in Thailand to change money over. There are heaps after you go through customs and they offer good rates.

Have fun

C  biggrin.gif

#11 Ashtonsmum

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

3 weeks today  grin.gif

The only tour we have booked is Phi Phi Island - my sister is a travel agent and she suggested it. Apart from that we will probably just see what happens day to day. Ive only got 10 more shifts at work which is awesome as I havent had any annual leave since going to Bali in September last year.

Pulled the suitcases out of the shed this morning. Need to give them a good wipe over and then organise what we are going to take with us.

#12 My-3-Pinks

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the currency suggestions original.gif

I've started getting my girls to try on last summer's clothes so I know what fits and what I might need to buy before we go.  So excited!

#13 eachschoolholidays

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (261071v @ 28/08/2012, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get some thai baht at a Thai ATM. there are plenty at the airport and you get a better rate there rather than here.

I definitely agree with this.  We have been to Thailand a number of times and have never taken any currency with us.  I just withdraw from an ATM - they are everywhere.  I normally have abut AUD$500 in case of an emergency and then if I haven't used it, spend it when I get home!

#14 My-3-Pinks

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

*Mrs Puddles* - great information - thank you!  I told my girls earlier you have to pay to pee and they nearly wet themselves laughing wink.gif

How much spending money approximately do you normally take?  We've only been overseas once with the children and that was last year to Fiji and we didn't need all that much since most tours etc were through the resort so we paid with the credit card or had it charged to our room.  I'm presuming we are going to use more cash this time with the markets/shopping type stuff etc.

#15 eachschoolholidays

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Is breakfast included at your resort?  I always go the included breakfast option!  We then normally eat a mix of street / market food and resort food.  I tend to budget about AUD$100 but our kids are still tiny.

#16 261071v

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (My-3-Pinks @ 29/08/2012, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Mrs Puddles* - great information - thank you!  I told my girls earlier you have to pay to pee and they nearly wet themselves laughing wink.gif

How much spending money approximately do you normally take?  We've only been overseas once with the children and that was last year to Fiji and we didn't need all that much since most tours etc were through the resort so we paid with the credit card or had it charged to our room.  I'm presuming we are going to use more cash this time with the markets/shopping type stuff etc.

We just allow for $80-$100 Australian a day in our accounts. How much you spend will depend on how western you eat, and how much is covered by your resort.  We carry about $100 just in case we get caught out, other than that its ATMs all the way- you will need to check if you want to island hop.

#17 My-3-Pinks

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Thank you.  Yes, breakfast is included.  My girls are 9, 7 and 3.

#18 lizzie04

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hi, we just returned from our holiday staying in Patong at the Holiday Inn. It was amazing! I have a 7yo and 2yo and have lots of tips - definitely check the tripadvisor Phuket forum which was brilliant.

One big tip is that this trip was very different to my experiences there without kids - so there are some places I wouldn't go with kids that I would have before.

If you have specific questions please feel free to pm me and I will help as much as I can.

#19 SKP1972

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

We love Thailand too, honeymooned there 13 years ago and have been back twice since.  Definately do Fantasea, and book a few days ahead, despite what people say it is good to get seats in the front section A, B and C from memory, we were in Row W last time and it was ok, but not as good as the first time when we were in Row G, be aware that they confiscate you camera's before you go into the auditorium as they have photo ops with baby elephants and tigers which are about 15-20.  Camera's are completely safe (and this is coming from a self confessed camera lover) they hand you an id tag and you pick it up at the end, is worth having the camera for taking pics around the park, and if you can eat before you go you can get dinner included but it is just a buffet and prob not worth the extra money.

We have stayed in Patong and Karon Beach and enjoyed both, be aware that you will also have to pay for a seat and umbrella on the beach about 5.00 is the norm from memory.

We also did a day trip with a driver cost about 50.00 and went to the Big Budha, Wat Chalong temples (which I loved) and the Chalong Elephant rides (they will pickup if at Karon and Kata and drop you back for no extra charge) is about 40.00 per adult for about 1/2 hr, our kids loved it.  

The last time we did a boat day trip with our 8 and 5 yo to Phi Phi Island, Kai Island, Maya Beach and Monkey Island - whilst it was great to see so much in one day it was probably too much to cram into one day, but it was lots of fun.

Another good hint too is to go into the family marts as they have fresh yogurt and premade sandwiches as well as icepoles and soft drinks and were great to have a quick cheap lunch or snacks.

If it rains and you are in Phuket, then Junceylon is the big shopping centre which has a theatre and bowling alley, is alot like Westfield with lots of big shops, good cosmetics and supermarkets, good if you want to get out of the heat for a while and if you are looking for something in particular that you might have forgotten, there is also a Boots Pharmacy there as well which is good.

Make sure you get a massage, in Karon Beach there were a number of off the street ladies who were about 8.00 for a 1 hr massage and they were pretty good, my daughter had her waist length hair braided for 10.00 which was awesome as it takes about 1.5 hrs.  Also found a great dayspa the last time which was not as flash as the big hotels but really good called Body@Soul at Karon Beach, they pick up from local hotels and drop back, I had a full body scrub and massage took about 1.5 hrs for 40.00 (this was also negotiable depending on how many people.

I also love the shopping for the kids and hubby, not so much for me as I was too big for alot of stuff as i am a size 12au but it didn't stop me buying handbags and sunnies.

Hope that helps,

Soni

#20 carls888

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

For Thailand we normally budget $100-$120 per day but if you plan on drinking alchohol double it.

Food is cheap, shopping is cheap, massages are cheap.

I love the place!

Have fun

C

#21 Ashtonsmum

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

Wow, some great info here - thanks everyone original.gif

I have been on trip advisor sooo much! Ive been tossing up whether to book a fantasea show. Did you all book that there or before you went? How much per person approx?

#22 MuminMtEliza

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

Book over there. If you are booking several tours at the one tour agent then you will get a really good discount. No-one sells Fantasea tickets cheap - they are the same price everywhere and I think this is on their website, however as we were booking multiple tours at the same time, we were given free transfers from our hotel to

Big Budha is worth a visit - it's at the top of a mountain and there are several elephant trekking companies, ATV / buggy tours along the same road. If you don't want to trek on an elephant there are a couple of trekking companies who have baby elephants out on the road. You can stop and buy a basket of bananas to feed them and get some great photos.

A visit to a temple is also worthwhile. If you get stuck for ideas with kids there is always the Phuket zoo. I heard mixed responses about the zoo. It certainly isn't to the standard of an Aussie zoo and I'm sure the tiger you can pat was doped to the eyeballs but my DS loved it along with the photo opportunities (they all cost extra) with monkeys, birds, elephants, tiger etc.

One word of advice - make sure you have travel insurance. My DD who was 7 months when we went in May, ended up extremely dehydrated and in hospital for a day and a half. We have never used any kind of travel insurance before and while we would have paid anything to get her better, it was comforting knowing that all her medical requirements were taken care of regardless of cost.

Enjoy your holiday.

#23 lizzie04

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

One extra thing, if you are looking to hire a driver for the day, I can highly recommend Panya. He can organise airport transfers, day tours and just general transport. You can check out his reviews on tripadvisor forum - he is lovely, knowledgable and has great English.

His contact details are panyak2009@live.com

#24 pen*

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

One week to go!

Not very organised yet by we are spending five days n Bangkok before heading to Samui, then a flight from Surat to kuala lumpur and then train to Singapore before flying home.  We ave had a little trouble remembering web are not backpacking and ant catch trains that leave at one nt he morning with two four year olds as company!!

So excited, one week to go!

#25 SKP1972

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

Ashtonsmum,

Re Fantasea, you would be better to buy when over there just book a few days before you want to go.  Most of our ticket prices also included transport which is normally an airconditioned minibus.

We did Phuket Zoo on our first trip with the kids, it is definately not like any AU zoo's, but the kids seemed to like it, there was a photo op with the tiger (we chose not to do this) as it is chained up and it made me sad, but the elephant show was good and so was the monkey show.  From memory it was about 12.00 pp converted.

For elephant rides we used:http://www.kokchangsafari.com/

they had great clean facilities and the elephants looked well cared for unlike some of the others we saw - if you decide to do it.  You can also just go in and feed the elephants at no charge (maybe small one for the banana's).

Enjoy your trip we loved it, and looks like we are going back again next year as my sister has just decided to get married    here:  http://www.katathani.com/  

Enjoy your trips ladies!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.