What do I actually need to buy?
Expereinced mums, what have you found most useful/necessary please?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Lily

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

So I'm 21 weeks now and starting to realise we need to get ourselves sorted! I've seen lots of lists online about what you need to buy for baby but still have some questions that I'm hoping experienced mums can tell me what they actually used and needed in the first 3 months or so and what is a nice to have.

* I'm planning on hiring a baby capsule and mounting that on a stroller for the first few months, it seemed the best solution to not disturbing bubs when sleeping, in car, taking in and out etc. Also strollers with bassinet attachments, front/back reversing etc are so expensive - so I'm thinking so far of the mountain buggy swift which does take the capsule attachment. Any comments/suggestions with this?

* Bought an ergo baby carrier for walks etc. Don't plan on baby wearing per se, but as much as possible when walking, out and about etc. Looking forward to that.

* As for bed, I'm either going to buy a bassinet/cot to have right next to the bed or a bed co sleeper attachment. I really want to try co sleeping, not in the bed but right next to it and am looking into types of beds etc. But wonder if a bassinet that can be wheeled around into different rooms would also be useful? we'd be in an apartment so not a huge space... Any advice on this?

* Change table - will grab off ebay - anything to look out for?

* Have a Breast pump :-) Should I buy a bottle steriliser or just boil on stove top?

* Clothes - have a few onesies and cute things others have bought, but what essential to have just for everyday wear i.e. singlets, leggings etc? It will be an October baby so warm weather and a boy :-)

* Muslin wraps/sleeping bags - have a couple of these

*Napies/wipes/dummies/bits and pieces, need to make one big trip to target etc with a list and grab these.

Anything else that you found really useful? Have I missed anything important?

Really appreciate your advice :-)

#2 premmie

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

I have the Mountain Buggy Swift with the attachment for my capsule. I found it great in the first few weeks, but given DS is a second child I didn't use it as much as I thought, as I have only him 2 days a week. Other times I use the double stroller. As he's gotten bigger I think he sleeps better reclined in the pram too so I'm happy to trasfer him as needed. But I wish I'd had it with DS1 who never tranferred well original.gif I used the MB carrycot a lot with both kids, its good to have if you take them out in the early weeks and need them to sleep - we used the basket as a portacot many times.

I never co-slept both were in a cot in their own room from quite young, probably 6 weeks. You can hire the bassinets from the hospital which are on wheels. We did this for the first month rather than use traditional bassinet. It was about $160 for the month.

Definately hire the capsule, its much cheaper than buying. My boys were too big for the capsule before 6 months. Moved to a rear facing seat.

A change table can be unneccessary, we had one and found in the limited space it was great for stroage and helped save my back a bit. make sure you buy a decent brand and a new change mat. Same goes for a second hand cot if you end up getting one.

I had the following 'essentials" for DS2 in terms of clothes (March Bub)

6 x large muslin wraps
2 x flannel wraps for winter
6 x 000 onesies from Target
6 singlets
3 Love me Baby Wraps (Small Size)
3 x Cot Sheets
1 Cot Blanket  

Buy a single box of NB nappies, we had Huggies and he was out of them by 4 weeks. Otherwise we need wipes, nappy bags, sudocream, sorbolene..and a digital thermometer and one pack of bub panadol doesn't hurt either

#3 Walkiemum

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

Some of the little things that are easy to overlook, but handy, are:- some terry nappies or cut up old towels to use as spew rags- a rocker chair that you can clip bub into whilst your cooking etc. there are lots of different types eg ones that vibrate, play music etc. I just got a plain one with some toys dangling- with the change table it's handy to have one with shelves.- a baby gym mat is great value eg fisher price- I just use the saucepan for sterilization s we have a small kitchen- up to you how and where you want to bath junior - consider a baby bath or a bath seat- with your milk bottles get what you need to be able to freeze any excess milk. This will vary depending on the brand you get eg freezer bags, cups etc- I found a breastfeeding pillow really handy- lots and lots of bibs!!!- if using disposable nappies then a bin of sorts. If using cloth then a lidded nappy bucket- as for clothing, don't buy too much 0000 as most babies grow out of this size soon! About 5 or so jumpsuits are good, singlets, socks, a couple of cardigans or jumpersHmm there is a lot more but hopefully this helps a bit!!

#4 PurpleChicken

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

Our 2nd bubs is due in October too!

*We'll be hiring a capsule this time round.  We didn't with DD and so wish we had.  She always woke up when we had to take her out of the car and was impossible to get back to sleep.

*Going to agree with a lot of what PP said:
- Only buy 1-2 boxes of NB nappies for now as you don't know how fast they'll grow out of them yet
- Get some terry nappies/Big Softies/cut up old towels for spew rags.  DD wasn't chucky, but they're so handy for when she did spit up or was drooling.
- A play mat was great for keeping DD entertained
- I used a pillow to BF up until I stopped BF'ing at 10 months.  I just used a boomerang pillow though, not a specific feeding pillow
- If you want a baby bath, just get a cheapie.  I ended up showering with DD as it was so much easier

*As for the change table, I still use ours as it is so much nicer on my back and can help to keep a very wriggly toddler contained.  Just look for something with storage.  I've got one with the baby bath underneath and I store my spare wipes in there.

*I just used a cheapie microwave steriliser

*I carried DD HEAPS during the first few months and will hopefully do the same with this bubs.  It's great for helping to lose the baby weight too.  I just bought a Manduca.  Can't wait to use it!

*We had a bassinet but DD would never go to sleep in it so it wasn't really used.

Other than that, can't really think of much else.  I've forgotten so much in the last 2 years! ohmy.gif

#5 DyingofLove

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

These are the things we have used every day from day 1:

Big ticket items:
Bassinette + 2x mattress protectors, fitted sheets, and waffle blanket to suit
Capsule - hired
Pram compatible with capsule
Change table with plenty of storage underneath + Spare change mat for around the house
Electric Breast pump - hired + If you are going to express- some bottles or breast milk storage bags to store

Clothes:
0000 and 000 all-in-ones - for the first few weeks baby can just live in these as they are super easy
Singlets
Beanie and mittens

Other:
Muslin wraps
Flannel wraps
Bibs
Terry nappies to use as burp cloths etc
Bath seat to use in normal bath - cheaper and easier than a baby bath
Dummies - good idea to have on hand
Face washers/small cloths
Pram blanket
Baby towels
Play mat
Few toys and books
Sling- not as comfy as the ergo for out and about but wonderful for putting bub to sleep and wearing around the house for short periods
A bin for nappies etc
Washing basket for bub's room

For the change table/nappy bag:
Nappies
Baby wipes
Bepanthen
Sudocrem
Lansinoh if breast feeding
Hand sanitiser
Baby bath wash

Edited by macka85, 06 June 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#6 Let-it-go

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

My only advice in addition to PP's is dont get too worried about 'summer baby'.  DS was a summer baby and i bought short sleeved clothes and got given ALL summer stuff ......however newborns get cold, also it is still cold in the mornings, evenings and in air con.  I ended up digging out DD's white long sleeve onesies and having to buy some little jackets as he was always freezing!  So buy just a few practical onesies, legging type pants and maybe a jacket/hoodie type top.  I got given so many tshirts, singlet suits and shorts (a lot of which he only wore a few times).  Agree on Target, my fav shop for basics.

Dont get carried away on 0000 stuff until later on in the piece when you are given a better idea of his size.  Any baby over 8lbs can hardly fit in them.  Mine wore 0000for maybe 2 weeks!  Same with newborn nappies as a PP said.

I got given SO many wraps and small blankets.  As long as you have 1 or 2 of each you can always buy more later.  I have enough wraps to wrap up an entire house.  

Loved my bassinette for both.  But it was borrowed, not sure i would have bought one new but was glad i had it.

I used tissues and sorbelene instead of wipes so i had a big bottle of sorbelene and about 6 boxes of tissues.

#7 JoMarch

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

I'll be stalking this thread...so overwhelming when you walk into a baby shop & think "so what do I actually NEED??".

#8 Pooks Combusted

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Pram
Capsule
Singlets
Onesies
Booties
Hats
Wraps
Blankets
Bassinet on wheels
Mattress protector
Bottom sheets
Cloth nappies (spew rags!)
Bibs
Disposable nappies
Degradable nappy bags
Wipes
Flannels
Towels
Change table
Bath
Bath thermometer
Fess for noses
Nappy cream
Baby thermometer
Gentle soap
Dummies
Playmat
Wait to see what kind of slings bubs likes/ borrow one
Bouncer and swing has been invaluable for us
Pillows for feeding
Little clock to have for feeding in those early days
water bottle for you to have on hand
Lots of tissues and paper towel for clean ups
Bag for baby's things when out
Bucket for dirty things near change table
Bin for nappies
Sensitive laundry detergent
Nappysan sensitive

#9 nakedrhubarb

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

If you buy Bonds anything, it is usually a smaller size than other brands! October is still quite cool, so I would make sure you have a beanie and some blankets you can wrap around bubs when you go out. I like putting babies in onsies or jumpsuits so there are no bare tummies when lifting them in and out of cars/prams.

Lansinoh if you are breast feeding.

I found bibs to be great in the car. I'd pop it on when we drove anywhere and pull it off when we arrived. So much easier than changing the entire outfit.

Have you thought of nappy bags?

Grobags or an equivalent - I found these to be fantastic.

A bassinet is great, but I wouldn't waste money buying one. My baby lasted 3 weeks in one as every time he flung his arms out, he'd hit the side of the bassinet and wake up.

#10 Miss Lily

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

THANK YOU all who've given advice, there's so many good points (and so many things I'd missed or considered as meh items)!  really happy for this feedback. Anyone else, keep it coming!  I'm hoping other mums are finding it useful and taking note too.

I'm going to print this off tonight and make a comprehensive list and then hit the shops!  biggrin.gif

Any advice on where is best to make baby purchases?  i.e. target/baby bunting etc or online websites?

#11 GreenEgg

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Leggings and long sleeve tops that button at the crutch.  Might just be me but after a couple of weeks of constantly doing up press studs I wanted some outfits that didn't require me to think that much about lining them up, especially with sleep deprivation from colicky refluxy number two!

#12 livvie7586

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

you need something for baby to sleep in, something safe for the car and something to transport baby in, some clothes (jumpsuits and singlets are easiest), and some wraps, and nappies.  most of the rest is optional.  some things depend on the baby in question (ie my son never had nappy rash, so all the nappy creams mentioned weren't needed), my daughter never used a dummy, i breastfed so didn't need bottles/steralisers, and a breastpump never got used, so babies hate swings etc, and i found the capsule big, bulky, and a waste of time

#13 Pooks Combusted

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

I found Kmart and best n less good for smaller items and target for big items. I got the cot from a baby boutique place on sale.

One final point, get big muslin wraps. The bugger the better. A lot of mine are freakin useless.

#14 carolyn*3girls

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

Wow I was going to add some things but it seems to be covered!  Great idea about printing off a list, that will help.  I have found Babies R Us great and so is Baby Bunting.  

It's often good to go into a large baby store and have a look at and a play with the big items (like prams, cots etc) and then see if you can find them online cheaper.  Best of luck, a very exciting time ahead for you original.gif

#15 Spring Chickadee

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Marking this thread so I can come back later to read all the great feedback.  Thanks OP!

#16 Miss Lily

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

A couple of mums have told me to only get the bibs with plastic backing so the dribble doesn't soak through to under the bib and wet what baby is wearing - would you agree?  Newborn bibs that I have seen just in target etc don't usually seem to have the plastic backing.  Is this a must have for early days?

Also, with the bassinet/ cot next to bed idea - any advice?  Would you go one over other?  I really want bubs to sleep in our room but not in our bed.

Lastly - glad to hear others agree with hiring a capsule and mounting onto a pram if need be for the early months.  Anything for me to keep in mind with this?  I'm basically going for a compact, all terrain pram i.e. mountain buggy swift so can use outside/inside later on but getting the capsule attachment so don't have to move baby in and out when sleeping.  Sound ok?  Any other suggestions?

#17 a letter to Elise.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

RE: the pram - DS hated being in his capsule. He screamed non stop. We had the one you could put straight onto the pram, and never ended up using it, as he never slept in the capsule anyway. Luckily we bought a pram that you could lay flat enough for a newborn - we had the strider. We didn't bother with the bassinet attachment when we bought it as we figured we'd be using the capsule, but luckily, we could just use the normal attachment from birth anyway.

Change tables are really only necessary if you have a soreback, or you like the idea of them. We didn't use one at all with DS. I had a padded change mat from IKEA that I just moved to wherever I needed it. At night we just laid DS on a cloth nappy on the bed to change him. This time around I am getting a change table, as I'm having a c section, and thought it would be more comfortable when I am changing DD on my own.

I liked having a bassinet next to the bed so DS was close, and it was easier to get him in and out in the early days then a cot would have been, but it just depends on space constraints.

Clothes, baby products, cloth nappies, face cloths etc are all things that people will probably give you a lot of. If you are having a baby shower, I would wait until afterwards to buy anything else you need. You will also get more clothes after the baby is born. I did buy some nighties for DS (which no one thinks to buy if you are having a boy) which were so much easier overnight in the early days. You will be nervous and tired and it makes nighttime changes a lot easier. DS was wrapped and then had a blanket tucking him in (exactly the same set up as at the hospital), so I wasn't worried about his legs being cold.

You don't really need a special nappy bag, any bag will do. This time around I have saved some money and just bought one of those change mat pockets that you can fit a few nappies and wipes in, and then you can just put it in any bag. Unless you need to carry bottles around, you don't really need that much. Changing stuff and maybe a cloth nappy as a spew cloth will do.

#18 Miss Lily

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Spring Chickadee @ 06/06/2012, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Marking this thread so I can come back later to read all the great feedback.  Thanks OP!

I know huh!

But really thanks to everyone who has replied!! This community has been a god send for me, a newbie very green first time mum with information overload, I come here and cut it right back to the essentials!  Also, I'm still swooning after my amazing beyond words OB which was also recommended to me here - I'll be forever grateful for that alone!   biggrin.gif

#19 Feral timtam

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

For baby clothes such as mittens, hats and socks I suggest going to Coles. The Coles brand mittens are brilliant, the only ones that would stay on my kids!

For things like bottles, disposable nappies, formula and baby food this site is really good http://www.okme.com.au/ I found it very easy to get up to the free shipping threshold and it stocks products in the brands I like that are hard to get in shops.

For general clothing I recommend the stretchy terry fabric suits. Or get the cotton suits without feet on them as you'll get the most use out of these two styles. I personally love singlets but a lot of people hate them.

Buy the bassinet off ebay. Bassinets have really good resale value and if you buy a second hand one you can often get almost all of your money back on it if you resell it. Also people selling their bassinet on ebay will often throw in the mattress protectors and bedlinens which can save you a pretty penny!

Capsule/car seat. I'm going against the trend and saying buy rather than hire. My local baby hire shop charged $100 for six months hire on a car seat that tested very poorly in CREP tests. I'd rather spend a little bit extra and buy a convertible seat with a higher CREP result. I'm also rather leery of constantly removing the seat from the car, if it gets bumped while out of the car it can compromise it's performance in an accident. You also don't know what the history of a hire seat is. It might LOOK in good condition but is it really?

My favourite swaddle wraps came from Kmart. They were nice and big and super soft, I was able to use them for swaddling my daughter right up to 6 months of age and they still get used as light pram blankets by both kids.

#20 Miss Lily

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (Matthias' mum @ 06/06/2012, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did buy some nighties for DS (which no one thinks to buy if you are having a boy) which were so much easier overnight in the early days. You will be nervous and tired and it makes nighttime changes a lot easier. DS was wrapped and then had a blanket tucking him in (exactly the same set up as at the hospital), so I wasn't worried about his legs being cold.

Thanks for all your advice, noted it all :-)   and hoping our boy wont mind the capsule as it seems a god send for other mums.  Also, what kind of nightie would you recommend?  Do you mean like the grobags/sleep suit types?

QUOTE (carolyn*3girls @ 06/06/2012, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow I was going to add some things but it seems to be covered!  Great idea about printing off a list, that will help.  I have found Babies R Us great and so is Baby Bunting.  

It's often good to go into a large baby store and have a look at and a play with the big items (like prams, cots etc) and then see if you can find them online cheaper.  Best of luck, a very exciting time ahead for you original.gif

Thank you  biggrin.gif   I'm so excited to meet him!!

#21 Pooks Combusted

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

Just some cheap plain bibs are fine for early days, I got a pack of 10 for $10 at big w in multicolours. Don't get white, too unforgiving!

I like the bassinet on wheels with mesh sides and have it right up to my bed at night, but I can wheel it wherever I want him to have day sleeps, which is great when I want to tidy our room, get dressed, etc, and in the first weeks I just had him in the lounge.

Personally I have poor hearing and our room is some ways from the lounge so a cheap monitor has been good. Cheap is fine.

#22 Nobody Cool

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Miss Lily @ 06/06/2012, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any advice on where is best to make baby purchases?  i.e. target/baby bunting etc or online websites?

If you are not averse to second hand, garage sales are awesome for baby purchases.

Edited by Shady Lane, 06 June 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#23 Pooks Combusted

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

Gum tree and eBay too!

#24 a letter to Elise.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

I bought bonds and marquise ones from David Jones. They are just simple, traditional long sleeved nighties. I just googled, and Bonds have an online sale at the moment. DH also took a couple of hospital nightgowns home (he asked first).

http://www.bonds.com.au/baby/sleepwear/new...=74&142=477

Grobags are probably better for when they are a bit older as they are quite baggy - you probably won't need one until the following Autumn.

I'm really hoping baby number 2 likes the capsule better! It was a real pain.

#25 imamumto3

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

what i liked was the star shaped music light which attached to the cot.  i would put it on when bub would go down for the night, like a sleep cue.  it was small enough to take it on holidays too, so the baby would have something familiar in a strange place

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.